3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

'09 ipod connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 ipod connection

Dad just bought an '09 3500 QC SWB 4x4 Laramie that's got the nav system, sat radio and VES in it, but it doesn't have an aux. connection for his ipod on it and he'd really like to add that on, my question is does Dodge offer an add on for it, he found something online that made it sound like he could get an ipod adapter from dodge that would plug into the factory head unit and let him use his steering wheel controls to work the ipod, but I thought i'd ask those who actually know about these trucks before he wastes his time talking to the parts guy at the local dealership. Thanks in advance.

Travis
Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM

I have the same complaint. It's like Dodge doesn't think that when someone "upgrades" the stereo/nav that they don't want a **** aux jack. In my truck if you keep the base model stereo package you get the jack but if you upgrade (like I did) you don't. Seems knd of stupid if you ask me.

I know that there is a way to do it for an 06, but I haven't seen any topics about this for an 09 yet.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM

I use this: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html
in my '06 but I don't have the nav or DVD. It works very well.

Here are your two options:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry04pcpod2.html
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundcrpd4.html

They all work by plugging into the DVD input of your stereo. It fools your stereo into thinking that the DVD player is plugged in.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJeepin
I use this: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html
in my '06 but I don't have the nav or DVD. It works very well.

Here are your two options:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry04pcpod2.html
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundcrpd4.html

They all work by plugging into the DVD input of your stereo. It fools your stereo into thinking that the DVD player is plugged in.
Do you have the Infinity 6 disk? What are you using to plug in your MP3 player to? Do you just remove the stereo and plug that directly in place? No splicing or anything?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM

No, you must have an open "option", either DVD or Sat radio. Won't work if you have both. It takes the place of one of them. With an iPod, can you do without Sat radio?

The box plugs directly into the stereo, no splicing or finding 12v. The box provides an iPod connector that also charges the iPod as it plays.

Also, see the radio application lists (RAQ, REC, RAK)
Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Ok well I dont know jack about stereos, I have the Infinity 6 disk. No dvd player. It did come with the XM radio. So I should have one more open spot the right?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 AM

I guess that's what he's gonna go with, to tell the truth he really didn't want nav or the DVD player, but he only found 2 trucks that he liked in the color he wanted that were in a 4 state area, so he checked both out, and the dealer that had the one without dvd wouldn't deal so he went with the other one. He said he doesn't care if the dvd player plays over the speakers anyway, so we're gonna use that input. Thanks for the replies. You guys rock.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
Ok well I dont know jack about stereos, I have the Infinity 6 disk. No dvd player. It did come with the XM radio. So I should have one more open spot the right?
Yes, it sounds like you have the same stereo as I do, Chrysler calls it the RAQ.

The face looks like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...ht_2619wt_1167
Old 09-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Yep, thats the one.

So you just plug that thing in the rear and then it comes with the ipod plug? Where did you run the wire for your ipod to?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Bump...
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
So you just plug that thing in the rear and then it comes with the ipod plug? Where did you run the wire for your ipod to?
I cut a slot at the back and top of that compartment below the radio and ran it out that. You really could run it about anywhere you want. It comes with a long cable.

Incidentally, my cable came in white. White just screams iPod and it doesn't hide so easily. I bought some black paint for plastic and painted it, connector and cord (just mask off the metal connector that goes inside your iPod).
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Awesome. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM

iPod connection

If he has a factory installed "VES" (DVD Player) there are A/V input jacks on it. Plug your IPOD into that. That is what I do, works perfectly. I have a picture of the cable, i will post when I figure out how. Just imagine a headphone jack plug on one end and two a/v male jacks on the other end one red, one white. I'm sure radio shack has them in stock. They also make them specific for The IPOD.
Simple, cheap solution.