3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

'07 OEM Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riddler69
I'll try it and get back to ya. Guess I misunderstood.

No problem on that. I thought it would work all the time. I was confused myself and started this thread when I got it to work, but then it wouldn't again until after shutting down.

Now the problem is how to defeat this and get it to work all the time.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 AM

A cool down timer works great for what you want, Set it to say 6 minutes and push door lock on fob , truck runs till you reinsert key and off you go .. If someone gets in and tries to steal it well, once the park brake is released the motor dies...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
No problem on that. I thought it would work all the time. I was confused myself and started this thread when I got it to work, but then it wouldn't again until after shutting down.

Now the problem is how to defeat this and get it to work all the time.
i also noticed that with one set of my keys it will not lock the dooors while running ever!! it's almost like one key is a master , and the other a sub? i havnt tried to lock after a short drive yet but will when my mrs get home with swapping keys and see if that works.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM

I've swapped keys in the ignition - works the same for both on mine.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Slice
A cool down timer works great for what you want, Set it to say 6 minutes and push door lock on fob , truck runs till you reinsert key and off you go .. If someone gets in and tries to steal it well, once the park brake is released the motor dies...

That certainly is an option. Another is a remote starter - I'd just have to manually shut down by the button after turbo cools if parking for some time.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 PM

I've swapped keys in the ignition - works the same for both on mine.
well mine is totally key dependant. with one set it absolutly will not lock the doors running with the other set in the ign. but i switch them and i can lock the doors with the FOB, the horn will "chirp". also with the same set still in the ign, i can go for a drive, pull in to mac's or 7-11 for whatever, and i can still use the other set to "chirp" and lock the doors, while it's running.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 PM

This is now completely baffling.

It would be nice if they kept the electronics the same between SLT's and Laramies. I'm going to have to track down some electronics gurus I've met in the past and run this stuff by them.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:31 PM

Am I reading this correctly? You carry both sets of keys so you can leave the truck running and locked while heading into a 7-11. Why not just install a remote starter? Pull up, hit start, remove keys and lock. Done. Truck will run for set period of time or disengage when you insert key and step on brake. Plus you get all the benefits of the starter in the mornings. The only downside is that the '07 isn't a user-friendly install. Experience is required. Looking at 450-500 installed (cdn funds) for a two-way unit. Roughly $300 for the unit only c/w security bypass. Astrostart 2205A c/w CHDL7PK2
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 PM

festus>> i also failed to mention that the truck i am speaking of is my 07 laramie,Saskpuller, i just had a remote 2way done yesterday ( my wife loves that!) but it was very cold around here and had some wait time before thay could do it, so had to do it the way with 2 key sets. i feel much more comfortable now with the remote W the brake disable and the wheel locked though when it's siting some where running. mine was 650.00 installed, and dealer approved.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by saskpuller
Am I reading this correctly? You carry both sets of keys so you can leave the truck running and locked while heading into a 7-11. Why not just install a remote starter? Pull up, hit start, remove keys and lock. Done. Truck will run for set period of time or disengage when you insert key and step on brake. Plus you get all the benefits of the starter in the mornings. The only downside is that the '07 isn't a user-friendly install. Experience is required. Looking at 450-500 installed (cdn funds) for a two-way unit. Roughly $300 for the unit only c/w security bypass. Astrostart 2205A c/w CHDL7PK2
I think $500 CDN or more would be fairly common for a manual tranny. For as long as I'm away from my truck (usually in eyesight when I leave it running) I'd like to take easy way out - two key fob deal.

As far as a remote starter on a manaul, I personally don't trust most of them. If witnessed alot of people have issues with them. I honestly believe it comes down to the installer and installation. If I can track down the guy that did my '98 (rated as the 2nd best installer in Western Canada 8 years ago - I know he's still in the business, but I don't know where), then I'd consider the remote starter option.

That leads me to the next question:

With your remote starter, did they incorporate your OEM security arm/disarm into the starter fob, or must you still use the factory fob to control the security sytem????
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 PM

That leads me to the next question:

With your remote starter, did they incorporate your OEM security arm/disarm into the starter fob, or must you still use the factory fob to control the security sytem????
i had them only do the basics, i am leary of them messing with to much stuff, if the remote starter goofs up, i still wanna be able to start and go, i was worried if they tied it into the security/key fobs and something happened, then i could have big issues!! could you imagine pullin a 5vr way down in sandiego and it deciding to crap out there? yikes!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by SRTchris
i had them only do the basics, i am leary of them messing with to much stuff, if the remote starter goofs up, i still wanna be able to start and go, i was worried if they tied it into the security/key fobs and something happened, then i could have big issues!! could you imagine pullin a 5vr way down in sandiego and it deciding to crap out there? yikes!!!

Yep, and a lesser installer usually tends to do a good enough job and have it screw up just when you are that far away from home. It always happens that way. Good luck on a dealer tech getting you up and running after that.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Nope

OK, promised to get back.
Doesn't work after driving. Tried it yesterday. Had to lock it manually with the key.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Riddler69
OK, promised to get back.
Doesn't work after driving. Tried it yesterday. Had to lock it manually with the key.
did you try switching your keys as well?? ( meaning you had set A in ing and lock with set B the try again with B in ing and lock with A )
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Just getting back to this thread......

Adding a remote start does not effect the factory security. When locking, the bypass triggers the arm/lock wire. When unlocking, disarm/unlock wire is triggered.

Quick Reply: '07 OEM Security