3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

06 mpg-should of got a hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 mpg

I have always gotten 14.8-15.4 and no better no worse, all city. Break-in has done really nothin for me at 30K miles. So dont expect much more than that. I love thetruck but the best truck to won is the 03 with the 555 motor which i almost bought. my friend just gets incredible mpg with his. But no - had to have the 600, now you pay for it. these diesels prices are way over the edge, just plain ripp off!!!! supposedly, my trucker friend (18 wheeler) says the talk areound the shop is that in 2007 diesel will even be more $$ cause of the refining processes of diesel is more strict in the coming yrs. So, get ready to open those wallets - it may get real ugly. most of all i hope i am dead wrong! Anybody else hear this talk about diesel?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sawood
I have always gotten 14.8-15.4 and no better no worse, all city. Break-in has done really nothin for me at 30K miles. So dont expect much more than that. I love thetruck but the best truck to won is the 03 with the 555 motor which i almost bought. my friend just gets incredible mpg with his. But no - had to have the 600, now you pay for it. these diesels prices are way over the edge, just plain ripp off!!!! supposedly, my trucker friend (18 wheeler) says the talk areound the shop is that in 2007 diesel will even be more $$ cause of the refining processes of diesel is more strict in the coming yrs. So, get ready to open those wallets - it may get real ugly. most of all i hope i am dead wrong! Anybody else hear this talk about diesel?
You friend is correct, well at least in Cali it has something to do with the sulfer content or something like that. I was talking to a guy that was filling Diesel at a Chevron station and he said Diesel prices are going up.

What's funny is my Porsche gets 22 mpg, but having a stick shift in L.A. traffic is like going to hell.......
Old 03-19-2006, 07:58 AM

Like someone already said, you have to pay for horse power, I have owned diesel's since 99, and nobody, Dodge, Ford or GM will give the fuel mileage they did years ago, but then again look at the HP and Torque numbers coming out of the big three. They will get better once you get some miles on it. But don't expect 20+ MPG any more. The last one I had that would do this was a 99 Dodge, Xcab, Cummins, Auto, 3.55's, 4wd, it would do 18 MPG screwing around and 20.4 on the hiway.

Previous Diesel's: 99 xcab 4wd Dodge, 99 Ford 7.3, crew 4wd-16-17 MPG, 03 Ford 7.3 Dually crew cab 2wd-14.0 MPG average, 02 Ford 7.3 dually crew cab 4wd-13-13.5 average, 04 Ford excursion 4wd 16.0 average, trust me the days of the 20 mpg or better are gone,

now i want the mega cab goat with the 6 speed, no one stocks them so i have to wait until it comes in. my guess if it averages after breakin 15 or better i will one happy camper
Old 03-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Newbie hoping for MPG but will never go back to gas. On point brought up is that with a the internal computer logic, programers etc. is there any software that would allow you to connect say a laptop and just dump the current configurations of these trucks so we could get a apples to apples comparision on what they have modified on the onboard computers to see if we may be able to apply that to the 05 or 06 models.

I'm sure someone has a app or hacked into the CAN BUS somewhere to do this?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:40 PM

I get about 16 in town and 23 on the hwy with my 99. On my 03 I get about 15 in town and 22 hwy. I live in Colorado and it gets a lot better when I go back to Ohio to see the family. I never got that with the Hemi that I had. I was lucky to get 11 in town and 18 on the hwy. Also I only got about 8.5 when towing my camper. I get 15 on the hwy towing a 10,500 camper with the CTD. I will never go back to a gas engine.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 PM

I had a 04 5.3L Ext. Cab 1500 and I was seeing 14.7 regularly in the winter for gas mileage. I have had the Mega cab CTD now for about a week and change with 900 miles on it and it has gone as high as 16.2 on my way home from picking it up (230 miles away). Now that I am back to running around town back and forth to work (about 12 miles mostly highway) I am seeing about 13.5 - 14. The truck makes it to operating temp, but only just in time to shut it off when I get to work.

I think there is a lot to be said about temperature being the culpret. I know in the Chevy Duramax the truck drives like they are pulling through mud when they are cold. So I'm sure burning efficiency is horrible. Since I am never getting the engine and fuel to the optimal burn, I would assume that is why it's not getting good mileage.

So far I did get better mileage when I had my Chevy, but I expect that to change slightly when it breaks in and gets warmer around here. I shopped all three brands before I bought the cummins and fuel efficiency was one of my primary factors when looking. I searched high and low on the internet trying to get an average idea of what people were getting for mileage out these things. So much so that I almost drove myself nuts!

NOW... I made the decision to go with the dodge and it's not getting the mileage even close to what I was expecting... but do I care.... NOPE! All that research was for nothing, cause it really doesn't bother me. I put the recommended 500 miles on the truck and hooked right up to my 19ft enclosed snowmobile trailer and towed it 300 miles.... and I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since. I himmed and hawed over buying a diesel for months.... pull a trailer once and it all becomes worth it.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 PM

New diesel this fall supposedly. I wish my 03 didn't suck so bad that I had to buy anew one cause it got 20h and 17 around town. And the tranny shifted really nicely. I don't really like the 48.