3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

06 Clear Cab Lights Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Clear Cab Lights Install

Well, when I purchased my truck, the cab lights were part of the deal. They asked me if I wanted the amber or clear lenses and I thought the clear would look great on my truck. The reason the cab lights weren't already installed before I bought the truck is because my dealer quit ordering 2500/3500 single wheel trucks with cab lights. They give the customer the option if they want them. Well, the dealership doesn't install the cab lights - they contract them out to a very well respected truck place here in Knoxville (won't mention name). The cab lights turned out looking great, however, I have one concern. The center cab light seems to be located too close to the windshield. I don't understand why they wouldn't have installed the cab lights following the flow of the windshield. I called and asked them about it, and they said they followed manufacturer's specifications. This couldn't be true because it doesn't look like any of the trucks sitting on the lot. The lights almost seem to be positioned in a "V" pattern. Like I said before, the lights look good and they are centered on the cab and are equally spaced, it's just the center light appears to low. I will post pictures in the morning. Give me your thoughts. I figure if I move the light back towards the rear of the truck, I can gain 1/2". I feel like this should be the shops responsibilty?!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my cab lights came on my truck (from the factory) they are not in a perfect straight line. the are also in a "v" pattern - slightly. the middle light is closest to the windshield and the other four are slightly back. how are you going to move them a half an inch?? there are screw holes there- for the screws! you move the lights-you will have (screw) holes exposed and then you will need new holes in order to install the screws!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered

humm, cant really help you on your problem here. All i got to say is to get real cab lights,

Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 PM

I am talking about only moving the center light back 1/2 an inch. I would fill the old holes w/ either RTV or body filler to make sure and prevent leakage. Moving the light back approx half an inch would still allow the base of the cab light to cover the old holes. Make sense? Mind you, I will probably not do this. It's simply my only other option.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:17 AM

Here's the pics

Hopefully you guys can confirm what my girlfriend has been saying that I'm just overreacting. I know it's not the same as the trucks that come with cab lights, but how do you all think they look shaped like a "V"?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

Not only do they look V shaped... they aren't equally spaced apart. Mine stock aren't located like that. Sorry dude.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:55 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
I believe the reason for offset spacing (V-shape) is a greater side-view silhouette. Spacing looks like Blackdiesel's, IMHO.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure they're equally spaced apart, the picture isn't taken at the right angle. From the front, the spacing looks good. It's just the middle light too low, any reasons why?? Should I try to correct the problem or contact the dealer, the shop, or what?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 PM

Well, I got out the measuring tape and w/ the best accuracy of the tape everything is pretty equally spaced. Now from the top view, the one directly to the left looks a little crooked but once again I believe it is due to the angle taken of the picture. I agree w/ the increased side view silhouette. I guess it's actually starting to grow on me. I am very happy w/ the look of the clear lenses w/ the chrome base. I just don't understand why the care taken when installing this seemed to be negligent. From a very reputable place, this is not what I expected.

On another note, no one has commented on my idea of moving the center light back. I measured the two lights directly adjacent to the center light and they are located approximately 1 and 1/8" closer to the sunroof. I figure if I moved the center back 1/2 an inch then I could get it much more uniform w/ the windshield line. Nevertheless, they're still not like the factory installed lights.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM

Another note on the equal spacing - the two outer lights are not spaced like the three inner lights. From what I've seen, this is typical of these trucks.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:17 PM

IMHO they look fine and I would not drill any more holes in your truck. As you can see from my signature I have had nothing but bad luck with the cab marker lights leaking. Personally I would have gone with the OEM Dodge 2006 style cab marker lights instead of what appears to be Recons on your truck. I have had three complete sets of Recons and they have all leaked. I tried the Recons because my original OEMs leaked and I got tired of replacing them only to leak again. Just recently I installed the 2006 OEM style on my truck. They are a new design and have a separate base gasket. So far so good on leaking. They have passed the heavy downpour and automatic touchless car wash test. Recon is aware of the leaking problem and supposedly working on a redesign for the Gen III Dodge.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with them, mine looks the same way. I would not touch it IMO. As far as spacing , the angle that the picture was taken makes them look uneven.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Well I most certainly appreciate your all's remarks. They are definately making me feel better about them. I guess I was just expecting the OEM style spacing and was let down upon seeing them. Hopefully I won't have the same problem w/ leaks but if so, it's Diamler Chrysler's rear because it was inclusive on warranty. We'll see what happens. Any other comments from anyone, feel free.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they look pretty much like my factory lights do- the spacing and the "v". leave them alone and move onto something else!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM

Just a thought but maybe there is an extra support for the sunroof in that which would make them mover that one further ahead. But otherwise they look great. Anyone know if those are DOT legal?

Quick Reply: 06 Clear Cab Lights Install