3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

04 RAM stiff suspension advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 RAM stiff suspension advice please.

Hi Folks,
1st time truck owner. I just bought the new 1500 ram quad cab. When i'm on the freeway, it feels as if I'm drivin the lowered honda i just got rid of to buy this truck in the first place anyways, i was hoping you fellas could give me some advice on how to soften up the suspension. I understand that with a payload the problem is pretty much fixed. However i dont intend to be carrying any heavy payloads and would be surprised if i carried anything heavier then a few sheets of MDF board. Is Velvet-Ride a good alternative? Please advise, Thanks folks.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:29 AM

Take a look at Rancho adjustable shocks. I have the 9000s on my Durango, and the number 1 setting is plush. I use setting 3 in the front and 4 in the rear when we tow our camper, and the control is amazing.

Now I'm going to have to get a set for our Ram when we finally get it.

Good luck.
David
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 AM

Another thing to check is the air pressure in your tires. If you got the Ram 1500 and have the 17" wheels this could be your problem. I run about 45lbs in the back and 55lbs or air in the front tires when unloaded. If i'm hauling a heavy load, I will pump them up to about 70lbs in the back and 60lbs up front.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 PM

I've noted a number of road tests have also commented on harsh ride and lots of expansion-strip thumping on 1500s with the 20" wheel package. What rims and tires are you running?

I don't know anybody running a Velvet Ride setup, but it's a pretty cheap bandaid for the rear - might be worth a try.

Jim
Old 02-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the advce guys. I am on the 17" stock wheels and tires, michelin 245/70. the max psi is 35, not too sure putting anythng over that would be a good idea. It was my understanding that the cause of this is due to the leaf springs over compenasating for a load that isn't there. if my assumption is correct are there ways to reconfigure the leaf springs? maybe slide on out?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:12 PM

Ok, so the tires probably aren't your issue. The Michelins apparently don't hold as much air as the BFGs.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:51 PM

OK guys, Here's the LOWDOWN... Talked to a really cool dude named Jack at DJM Suspension. Whta he says is that the spring rate on my truck is necessary in order to have the loading capabilities. So comfort comes in second to functionality. Thats Great and i can deal with it, Afterall it is a freakin truck. So i ask him, "what do i do to make comfort a priority over functionality?" With one mind boggeling answer of infinite wisdom... he replies (after a good lecture about spring rates and air-ride systems) "Take out the bottom leaf spring"

sounds like a good freaking idea to me!!!!!

Any advice or input on my upcoming weekend project is greatly appreciated. And thanks guys, for the interest in this thread.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:57 PM

One of my friends at Bilstein tried the Velvet ride(he said junk) and there was no difference, sound like you live in California, lived there for 30 years and had many a truck...

Simple fix, soften up the rear, take a leaf out, dearch the springs to level the truck and your ride will be better but not the best, a tonneau cover for a shell will make the ride plush. also dearch the overload.

When people rode on my 01.5 they were shocked of the great ride. my slammed dually's all rode great, if i needed to haul something I'd air up the bags.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:09 PM

Thx Gary, yep natice californian... By the way, when you say dearch the leafsprings, i am assuming that you are talking about the effect that is caused by removing a spring, right? and not something i need to do physically. I was thinkng of adding a tonneau to the bed, should this be done in conjunction with removing a leaf?
Old 02-25-2004, 04:26 PM

Dearching the spring, will soften the ride. If you are strong as the hulk you can do the springs yourself,,,, Where are you located?

Do the cover first, then take a leaf out(save it).

dearching and leaf removal is diffrent avenues to reach the same point, if you look at my photo gallery I have lowered the back to be level, learned that in Cali.

How do you wany the truck to be level, squatting or stinkbug???