3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"04 ORDER DATE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:"04 ORDER DATE?

I wish they'd reinstate the online tracking so we didn't have to call and play 20 questions....
Old 09-14-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightman,

I'll bet it can still be tracked via the dealerconnect.com site. Only problem is is that we the general public don't have access to it.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:59 AM

Progress! Finally, just a little bit. Called this morning and the truck has finally got a VIN, and is in D status. They said that my truck is ahead of production schedule : - That it was originally scheduled for production in October, but production is starting now in September. We'll see. nice to have a VIN!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:37 AM

Lightman,

You got me all excited because your now in D status. I called and felt like I got the run around. When I asked the rep what status it was it, he tells me BX. Asked if the protection group would hold anything up and was told "No, as it does not show that item is on hold at the time." When I questioned it because my dealer had to use the old DIAL system to place the order and others had to take their's off, he tells me he was not aware of any issues with anything on hold, and that it would not have made it to BX. My feeling is that these guys don't know squat especially after he told me that BX was when they receive the order.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM

For what it's worth, mine was in BX for a week or so, and THEN it moved BACK to BG, due to the protection group hold. Maybe the person you talked to had more updated info, however, when I got firm info on the holds, it always required the CSR to ask their supervisor. If the person that answered the phone told you they didn't know about any holds, they either weren't checking with the right people, or just didn't know themselves, and you accepted that answer
Old 09-15-2003, 09:26 AM

re: MO versus MX production. The major production line is in MX, and they keep a smaller capacity line in MO. Some of the trucks destined for the East cost are built in MO. All the Western US trucks are built in MX.

From what I've been told, there is no 'transfer' of production to Mexico, in the sense that there is a change of mind. But "transfering" production to MX would certainly occur because the U.S plant would have turned out the first few trucks, as a general rule, and then the high volume stuff production line is ramped up in Mexico. Probably, They'll always have at least a small production facility stateside -- pretty std model for multiple site manufacturing where the bulk of the capacity is outside of U.S. soil for cost cutting reasons, and a small, high-cost facility is kept statesite to do procution quality control experiements, study tooling changes, productivity studies, etc., and then to transfer that knowlege to the main facility.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:31 AM

Doug,

What your telling me doesn't sound good. Infact it makes it sound like the 1st EGR engined Cummins will come from state side and I'll end up a ginuea pig with one of the 1st ones.

Lightman,

I had to take the CSR at his word because I'm sitting here at the office in a open cubicle, which really isn't a good place to get into anything other then work related stuff.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:45 AM

crabjoe I'm not sure I would get nervous yet. well maybe nervous but I don't think EGR engines are being built yet into truck, even in MO. While it wouldn't surprise me if the first EGR truck will come out of MO, or if the MO line will be cut over first, I still don't think your mfg origin means EGR. I just think they run a few trucks through the MO plant just because they have the capacity and they're running all out full bore. In other words, there are a variety of reasons why a truck would be mfg in MO. EGR might be one of these, but I still think its too soon.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:17 PM

I wonder if mine will be built in MO, being it's being shipped to NC. Either way, I agree with doug, I highly doubt EGR will show up till December build dates or so.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:07 PM

You know, I wish they would bring back some, if not all manufacturing back to the US. It's not about who might build it better. It's about how I'd like to see manufacturing jobs back in the US. It's weird that foreign manufactures can built vehicles here, where we seem to be sending our production out.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:12 PM

My 'german' vw TDI was assembled in mexico. Actually, the vehicles built in mexico are built better than in the US, they are surprisingly hard workers and have a lower defect rate than US factories. A company I represent had a 'maquiladora' factory down in Juarez for a while, and while it's mindblowing how cheap the labor rates are, they really work hard and well.I believe we paid them double what the next closest factory was paying, and it still was something ridiculous like $1/hr! I agree about amercian jobs, but when the mexicans do it cheaper and better, hard to sway the number crunchers elsewhere for simply patriotic reasons. :-
Old 09-15-2003, 03:42 PM

Lightman,

My issue isn't the quality of products or who does a better job. My issue is how can foreign auto manufacturers afford to build here in the States when so called American manufacturers are moving outside the US. It boggles my mind, even Hyundai is building a manufacturing plant.

BTW, I can't praise the Mexican or any Hispanic worker enough on the jobs they do. They do an excellent job with everything I've seen them do. I only wish that we could keep the jobs here. Infact, I'd like to see our jobs that went to Canada back here in the States. I lost my job last year after the company I work for moved our part of the operation there.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:46 PM

Well, sorry to hear about your job. I agree with the sentiment of having more american jobs and keeping it here. Just costs too much :-

I think the shipping and freight costs of moving cars from JAPAN etc, offsets the additional labor cost in the US
Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 AM

speaking of order dates again -- I Got to see my truck today! whoo hoo! -- its at the dealer and they've accepted ownership of it from DC. All I can say is wow. if you're into black at all this puppy is stunning. can hardly wait until they do the dealer prep thing and put on a bunch of cool things. Its all over but the shouting now -- should take delivery next week. Even the orange cab lights look cool on the BLACK CLEARCOAT truck. The Python wheels should look sweet too.

yippeeeeee! 21,000 lbs GCWR, 9900 lbs GVWR. just a medium sized 5ver should give this thing something to do. But not until Pac in-line e-brake, an exhaust upgrade (not sure what yet), Jordan controller, aTST box and whatever scotty has for air. He gives discounts for BLACK trucks you know (just kidding).

Anyway, right now she's getting nerf bars, american racing wheels, BFG 285s, bug shields, Line-X, A.R.E shell and a bedrug, all through the dealer. and my Farm Bureau memberships ticks past 30 days next week so it all works out nicely and I get $1500 off of an already great price from Peterson Dodge in Nampa ID. those guys have treeted me very well and yes I'll plug a Dealer that deserves it.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:29 AM

WOO WOO! Doug, congrats. Also like the rick bragg quote

Plz take some pics!

Quick Reply: "04 ORDER DATE?