3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

$160 for a key !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key Bandits

They know they have a captive audience for the product, i.e. somebody who's either locked out of their vehicle or down to their last key with a dead battery or frozen lock. Most people aren't going to chance the eBay route, don't have the time or even know about it.

The blanks cost next to nothing and take only a few minutes to program/test. The whole ridiculously priced key fob thing is nothing more than a blatant money grab for the S*T*E*A*Lerships.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 06 has manual door locks and no chip in the key I get my keys at lowes for $2.00 each but it is a pain to open all the doors but on the other hand my truck does not lock me in when I drive. I would love to have power windows and mirrows. Randy
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ddestruel
de-activate the sentry system. its a PITA not worth the two cents nor the giant headache that it creates.

FYI the federalies and policia down there are on the look out for locals driving newer vehicles. usually if a local is behind the wheel of an 06+ truck they pull em over just to see what kind of dope he's trying to transport. make sure your insurance is upto date and get insurance that covers you in the foreign territory.
Is it that hard to de-activate it? I lost one of my keys and really don't want to spend the coin for another. I figure I could try hiding the key in the dash and try using a regular key to start the truck, so I couldn't loose the good one. But it sure would be handy to know how to de-activate the security system.

As far as Mexico, I don't think it's as bad as most claim, I was there last spring and it was fine, sure 99% of taxi drivers try to sell you drugs at night but I had no problems. And theres no place better to party
Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Keys for the new 09 1500 rams is $350.00 can, and it has a hidden key that come out just to lock and unlock the driver door. The ignition key is some crazy looking plastic thing.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just before Christmas I decided to get two keys cut for the truck. I got what looks like an old style Dodge key...times 2 for 5.00. I thought that these would be best for what I need. I decided to test them out...with truck locked and running with factory key with the chip, I opened the drivers door lock with the fake key and expected the alarm to go off...it didn't. So now I have one spare fake key in a magnetic key box on the [censored] by the [censored] and the other one on my key ring. I leave the other factory chipped key at home.

I guess if I lose the chipped key and the other one is at home, I might be hooped.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM

This key thing is definately a scam. I am running with only one key also. Dealer was going to charge $120 for a new one. I talked an employee at lowes into cutting me a key just for the doors (I assured him I wouldn't try it in the ignition, just for the doors) and I put it in a magnet box under the truck incase I get locked out.