3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

$160 for a key !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$160 for a key !?!?

I have one key for my truck and have had only one since I bought it.
I stopped at a local dealership in Calgary to get a spare key. I figure it's a good thing to have a spare before I drive to Mexico (yes I had to add that!)
And the parts guy tells me I have to bring my truck into a service writer to get a key!
No problem as there is a computer component to the key. Fair enough.
Them he tells me it should be about $160 and they'll need my truck for the rest of the afternoon or about 3 hours.
Is this normal or am I getting a bad deal?
Perhaps this is the way of the world? I didn't even have a key for my '91 Dodge truck!
Could I get one cheaper state side? I am driving to Mexico after all
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Last year I bought a new 2007 dodge 1500, and when I went to pick it up the salesman told me he lost one of the keys. He went to the service dept and 15 mins later I had the other key. Three hours seems a little too long, I'm not sure about the price because the salesman had to pay for it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 02dodge2500ctd
Last year I bought a new 2007 dodge 1500, and when I went to pick it up the salesman told me he lost one of the keys. He went to the service dept and 15 mins later I had the other key. Three hours seems a little too long, I'm not sure about the price because the salesman had to pay for it.

Same thing happened to me 15 min. max.

My wifes jeep key i think was 150 to have made when she locked them in the car. I just had them make a key that would unlock the doors for like 20 instead of paying that much.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM

i had goten two keys cut a programmed last june at varsity, and it cost me $280, 90/ key 45/program, ive noticed that courtseys prices are quite a bit cheaper fyi. i have the grey key with no buttons
Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Price seems right, time seems off. Maybe they were just busy in the back? I bought a key off ebay for $60 un cut. The dealer had to cut it, they did it for free. I found a way to program the key but you have to have 2 keys ALREADY programed, I only have one.......called the dealer and they have to do it for a $100 fee at the service department. I'm gunna wait till I have to go in for something else. Hopefully I dont need it till then
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM

I always paid 60 for the gray key and if you have 2 other keys you can program them yourself, when I go to varsity I always talk to my sales man before going anywhere he usually get it done right now and for way cheaper than they ask
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was my first upgrade, adding a third key to the mix. I programmed it myself per the instructions in the owners manual.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I bought my truck from Canmore Chrysler I asked for a second grey key, was quoted $90 by the salesguy.

When I picked it up the salesguy said he screwed up and it was actually $140, but he honered the original price.

I also have read in the manual that you can program extra keys if you already have 2 keys. Also if you just want a spare for getting into the truck in case you lock keys in any key cutting place can cut you a dummy key for just unlocking the doors.

Apparently if you really don't want it the dealer can deactivate the sentry system altogether and then you can use regular keys to start the truck. Maybe not a wise idea if you are driving to Mexico though... you do have to pass thru the US.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM

I bought a couple spare keys for my 06 from this guy a couple years ago. Don't remember exactly what they cost, wan to say something like $100.00 each or something. Had them cut at a local locksmith for a couple bucks each and programmed them myself using the proceedure in the owners manual. One of the keys wouldn't program and he sent me another one BEFORE i sent the old one back. Now thats customer service.. Don't know if he's still aound but at the time it was www.jej1998.com
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM

The more I'm around the 3rd gens the more I wish I'd have bought another 12 valve.

90 bucks for a key somebody said sounds right??? We've got to be on drugs to put up with krap like this.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 AM

For the 2007.5/2008 only:

You can buy the gray keys (without remotes) for the 2007.5/2008 for about 20 bucks shipped on ebay. These keys are different than the 2007 and before.

You need two original keys to program the gray keys, but they will then start the truck. They will also trigger the alarm if you use them to unlock the doors. Your original keys with the remotes will also trigger the alarm if you unlock the doors with the physical key versus the remote door lock. To turn off the alarm, just put the key (original type or gray key) in the ignition and turn it on - the alarm goes off.

What a dumb example of engineering and what a rip-off....
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM

trip into Mexico

looks like you got a few answers to you question but one part of your story that no one talked about is your trip to Mexico...... you had better read the newspaper or do some searching prior to going to Mexico, I am down here in San Diego for a vaction and was planning to go into Mexico next week for about 10 days with my 5th wheel, but after 34 people were killed in and around TJ this weekend (11/28) I will not even start to go any furthur south, right now the military folks are not even authorized to go into Mexico, so if the government has worry about going I will stay the heck out of there.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM

I have two original keys for my 2006. I purchased two more programmable grey keys off the internet for $20.00 each. Then went to locksmith to have keys cuts. Then programmed them myself with instructions in manual.

I also have one key that is not programmed and is used just in case of locking programmable key in the truck.

I know that doesn't help you out. But get a few more spares.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM

This key thing is a big (edit) for us.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM

It looks like I'll have to belly up and kick down for the key from the dealer. So it goes. Maybe it'll increase my mileage or make me more attractive to the opposite sex!
Cbenn, I started another thread about my trip a while ago.
I'm honestly not worried about trouble. Both my girlfriend and I are reasonably fluent in Spanish and we keep our heads on a swivel. I find if you treat people how you yourself would like to be treated you generally are OK.
Although we are staying away from TJ.

Quick Reply: $160 for a key !?!?