3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do?

Hey everyone I'm Jeremy and Im new to this site, cant wait for your feedback and help.

I just purchased a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 St BigHorn 6.7L. I've read alot about the emissions and how it causes engine problems and such. And a few of my friends who own some nice 5.9L all told me to do the deletes, and whatever is needed to side step future problems.

First, I dont have a clue as to what I need. I can fix a Harley and weld but when it comes to diesel's New ballgame.

So I guess I'm asking what kind of packages are recommended. And what can I do in certain steps as to save money but get this all done. I have talked to lary, and he gave me his thoughts which I like.

But can I get the Smart Jr ME, and run it with no delete, Or if I started with the deletes do I need the programmer. Sorry to confuse anyone and look forward to hearing what you all have to say. Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! Get the programmer, do the deletes and read this:

http://https://www.dieseltruckresour...t-t273345.html

You can save $ by doing the cali-style minimal deletes. I'm very happy myself with it!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, Welcome to the DTR!

If you have talked to Lary, then you have a good idea on the cost and options for your deletes. Specifically dealing with the Smarty, you can run the product with either the ME option for deletes or the S or stock option with the OEM setup still on. You should have approximately the same Hp options with both and the S version does help with disabling the function of the EGR for some improvement in mileage. The Jr programmer can be updated from your computer to the ME version later on when you get to the steps of the actual deletes with downloads from the MADS website and using a simple USB cable you would have for your printer etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM

If I bought the Smarty JR for my stock truck, and then did the deletes could the Smarty JR be updated after I do the deletes?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Yes. You can do that yourself by downloading the software from MADS per my previous post.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Yes. You can do that yourself by downloading the software from MADS per my previous post.
That is the route I went originally. I bought the S version and ran like that for a short while and it was not long before I came to my senses and deleted. All you have to do is reflash the smarty with the ME version software that is all free and aviailable on their site and delete per instructions. Only thing to buy is a delete pipe or make your own...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by mega-engr
That is the route I went originally. I bought the S version and ran like that for a short while and it was not long before I came to my senses and deleted. All you have to do is reflash the smarty with the ME version software that is all free and aviailable on their site and delete per instructions. Only thing to buy is a delete pipe or make your own...
Ditto.. I went for a good 3-4 months before I deleted.. seemed like an eternity. First went with the DPF delete pipe and slowly have progressed from there. Now exhaust kits from turbo to muffler to delete are cheaper than I paid for the original DPF delete pipe.. Just got my EGR delete kit and that will finish my BlackTec conversion.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
MVM

Talking Delete

Also have 2008--- i purchased flo-pro delete pipe /smarty sr.-me verison did the blake style calif. Deletes :::total @ 650-700 bucks and have never looked back. I also researched a stealth system tried and compleated @ 1 yr later and have had excel. Performance with it also. Looks just like stock for tho's nasty visual inspect....

Ps. All the guys that have answered you until this point really have there facts down i my opinion there the best !!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have nothing to add technically to this thread, other than your gonna see a world of difference in that truck.

If you need any other help, just ask!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Ditto.. I went for a good 3-4 months before I deleted.. seemed like an eternity. First went with the DPF delete pipe and slowly have progressed from there. Now exhaust kits from turbo to muffler to delete are cheaper than I paid for the original DPF delete pipe.. Just got my EGR delete kit and that will finish my BlackTec conversion.
I think you should go ahead and do the VGT delete. Then youll really be impressed.

Couple time a week around the Houston area I get flagged down and asked just what the heck I did to my truck to make it sound like it does. Pop the hood and most times get this Surprising how many people dont realize that you can do as much as you can with a 6.7 They thinks it limited to deletes and a programmer.

Bunch of fellas I work with Ive taken for a ride. Few of em are already ordering kits.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Well I guess its a start ordered the Smarty Jr. step one complete, Now I'll bend my DPF delete pipe, and get my EGR/Cooler Delete.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by smithja1042
Well I guess its a start ordered the Smarty Jr. step one complete, Now I'll bend my DPF delete pipe, and get my EGR/Cooler Delete.
For the cost, just order the Flo-Pro or similar turbo to muffler delete pipe. Like I said, the price is less for that than I paid for the 6 ft pipe to delete the Cat/DPF originally. Easy to remove and fit up.

Blake, I don't intend on spending that much right now. With the power level I have, I don't want to sacrifice the ExBrake. To do the swap I would need the turbo, tranny upgrade and an aftermarket ExBrake to the toll of about $5-8K. Not in my budget.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Im gonna check out the flo pro, but i do have the ability and tools to bend, I was thinking of bending my own straight from the turbo back weld my hangerrs on and should be the same. Also, What kind of settings am I going to look at to get the best mileage. I dont tow alot, pretty much drive to work and home. Stock tires and tranny prob do a level kit eventually. Making smoke once in a while is nice but I'm doing it for the mileage at the moment. And to delete the fear of the emissions stuff messing up my rig.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Chapter President

Oh I see what you mean by bend your own.. Well if you have the stick and time, why not?

I run the S-67 Smarty and use the #5 (90hp) setting pretty much all the time loaded or not. My RV is only 8800# so its not heavy towing really.