3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo

ok...took the truck in for a front end vibration and cel. dealer said egr/turbo needed cleaning. so i went the delete route instead. the other day truck would not crank. tow in to dealer. they say its the turbo. they ran ever test on the fuel system and all was fine. they called tech support and advised to remove the egr valve (didnt have to...block off plate was there) and see if it would start. once they took the plate off it cranked right up. but they only let in run a couple seconds bc tech warned against engine damage. dealer said $700 to tear it apart and clean it...which might not be sucessfull. $700 for a used one w a one year garantee or $2500 for a new one.

what would you do? is there any truth to the turbo keeping the truck from cranking. will include some pics i took during my delete.
Attached Thumbnails urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo-dodge1.jpg   urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo-dodge2.jpg   urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo-dodge3.jpg   urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo-dodge4.jpg   urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo-dodge5.jpg  

Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to reading this one.... From what I see in the pictures their estimate is WAY short for a proper repair.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Not cranking and not starting refer to two different engine conditions. Not cranking refers to starter motor not turning over engine. What codes? Did you remove the DPF? Sounds like plugged exhaust system to me, is DPF still on truck? Turbo will not cause a no start but a completely plugged exhaust system will. By the dealer removing EGR plate they just gave the exhaust pressure some place for the pressure to get out. Did you remove the EGR air flow valve also? If not make sure that valve isn't stuck closed, it should be open with key on. Remove exhaust pipe from turbo, reinstall egr plate, does truck start now? If yes, then exhaust system is restricted with soot. I never had bad turbo cause a no start, lack of power yes.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 AM

i have a 4" tbe. all egr components are removed. sorry will crank over...but not start. and no codes

confusing huh?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I still cant see a turbo causing a no start, but I could be wrong. Let us know what fixes your truck since a turbo causing a no start will be a first for me.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:46 AM

The turbo would have to be slap full of carbon to block the airflow that much, and I don't see that either.

If they really think there is an air restriction before the horn have them start the truck with the egr delete plate removed and then set it back up there (with no gasket to avoid it being sucked into the engine). If the boots suck up tight and the truck dies it in fact has a restriction somewhere. Pretty simple test.

Was all that carbon there when you did the deletes? It looks like that was formed when the egr valve was still intact.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
they all look like that before doing deletes. put your stuff back on and see if they will cover it under warranty.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
they all look like that before doing deletes. put your stuff back on and see if they will cover it under warranty.
No they don't.... and they probably won't.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by J BODY
No they don't.... and they probably won't.
every delete i have ever done (and I have done MANY) if the customer has driven for awhile before doing deletes the intake tracks are sooted up like that.

AND i personally know dealers that if you reinstall the goodies, they will cover it so before ya jump on the beat up cbrahs wagon, not every dealer is the same
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM

every delete i have ever done (and I have done MANY) if the customer has driven for awhile before doing deletes the intake tracks are sooted up like that.

AND i personally know dealers that if you reinstall the goodies, they will cover it so before ya jump on the beat up cbrahs wagon, not every dealer is the same
Mine didn't have near that much carbon build up, and nothing was stuck to the grid heater when I deleted mine.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Chapter President

this one is on the extreeme side but I have seen many very bad. Did water meth on one and cleaned it up that way
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM

yes it was like that when i deleted. they are gonna put the new charger on monday so we will see...if that doesnt fix it...well they are gonna have some splaining to do

truck doesnt have a warranty...its got a rebuilt title
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Was it the turbo? Did you get to keep the old one? Would like to see some pics of it.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM
RSD
Muted User

Agreed. I did my deletes on my latest 6.7 at 300 miles and you could wipe away the soot with your finger. I have not heard of a turbo causing a no start as mentioned but it is not uncommon for the turbo to become clogged with soot either. For the $700 mentioned they were (or are) just going to bore the turbo and flush with a cleaning solution.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM

i went with the new turbo...and it cured the problem. the truck started right up...will try to get some pics of the old one

Quick Reply: urgent...dealer says i need a new turbo