3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Turbo Install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Install?

Hey guys,

This week I changed two turbo at work, one on an ISX and one on an ISC. Both turbos are the same type we have on our 6.7's. Holset VGT. In both cases these turbos had to be replaced due to the actuator and sliding nozzle not being able to see the end stops,not seeing full movement, obviously being caused by the build up of soot for the dirty egr systems.

I am currently fully deleted and don't expect to find myself having to change my turbo anytime soon. However the possibility of this happening always lingers in the back of my mind. When I change a turbo on a MD or HD cummins engine with a cummins ecm programming I have to calibrate actuator, then intall the actuator and calibrate it again for end stops. I assume that it is the same with our dodges. Am I correct?

So my question is. How can I go about doing a job like this myself? Probably need a scanner don't I? If I take my truck to a dealer for the sole purpose of having my actuator calibrated after a turbo changing or disassemble and cleaning I'll have to be carefully they don't flash the ecm and I lose my smarty programming. ETC ETC ETC. I think you guys know what I am getting at. Can someone share there experiences with this subject?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM

i hope one day smarty can give us output functions/test like turbo actuator calibration, boosting fuel line pressure at idle, and cylinder cutout test. would be sooo soo sweet.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was just a post on cummins forum where a guy installed a eBay HE351 (stock) turbo on his 6.7L, and he did *not* have to calibrate the turbo actuator.
I don't know if he got lucky, or if the computer "self-calibrates"?
I am curious about servicing the turbo myself also.

Scott.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
one way to keep yours moving free is to run your exhaust brake 100% of the time. Keeps the slide moving.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM

I know that running the brake helps keep clean. I always run it but this is not fool proof.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
nothings is really fool proof if ya wanna get technical. your deleted so don't worry.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread but this kinda pertains to this subject. I'm gettin ready to do both deletes and was lookin at the black ops diesels waste gate kit that bolts to rear flange where the egr cooler was on exhaust manifold and was wounderin if anybody has a set up like this and or if its worth doin? Pros and cons? Thanks for any info
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Don't be affraid to start your own thread. It might gain more attention with the right subject line. Also a good subject line aids in search results for future guys looking for answers. A guy looking for waste gate info won't easily stumble across info with a subject of turbo. No worries about the hijac. This thread was going no where fast. Lol
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
The Guru

I saw that there are different impellers available for the HE351VGT turbo, all the way up to 64mm size. I'm going to do that when I build my twins for my 2010 truck.