3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Starting From Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting From Scratch

hi all, im new here, not new to diesels but never done any mods so definitely a novice, just rolled 107k on my 05 f350 and traded it this week for an 08 ram 2500 with the 6.7. i have been reading nonstop for two days about dpfs, egrs, noxs, and ad 100s, yada yada yada!!!! wow, what an enormous amount of info out there. so here is what i need help on.

i pull about 10-15% of the time, i dont want radical, i dont want tranny exploding, just better mileage and some extra power every now and then when the foot gets too heavy. i have decided to get cold air intake, mbrp 4" exhaust, airdog 100 and the edge race with attitude only because i may end up losing the dpf down the road, but not ready to do so yet. what do you guys think about this setup? i dont want any codes popping up and from what ive read the edge will handle that? i dont want the smarty because i like the change on the fly and gauges of the edge. do i even need the tuner or should i just do the intake, exhaust and uplug the egr? thanks in advance for all your help, what a great site, i feel another expensive addiction coming....diesel tunage, argh!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like you got the right idea.

However I would take a second look at the Smarty.

I have the Edge and do like it, but will be swapping over for the Smarty. Main reason is cause I'm sick and tired of always having to wait for the codes to clear on start up. Its not bad at first, but after a year of it, it gets really old. I also want the performance the Smarty provides.

The ability to switch the Edge is nice, but 99 percent of the time you'll end up with it on 5 (or 6 if Hot Unlocked)

Just saying, give the Smarty a second glance, plus I'm sure Marco will have the POD feature on the way soon. Another advantage is that you can use a 5.9 exhaust system with no sims or 02 sensors (cheaper, easier, less to go wrong)

Should you go with the Edge, you still wont be disappointed. And don't let the 6.7 nay-sayers bug you, sans emissions and the 6.7 goes from good to GREAT!

I wouldn't just rip the exhaust off with no tuner, it'll cause trouble

I would get a second job, just to support the new addiction....
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 PM

yeah, after reading more, im going with the smarty for sure and the insight as gauges, the only problem is when i tow i dont want to have to reprogram, so i will probably just run in level one or two i guess.

so the 5.9 exhaust will just bolt on? where is a good place to get it, or should i just buy a dpf delete pipe without the sims, i think i can pick one up for about 250.

i hear ya on the second job, my girlfriend is going to be upset when i tell her shes going to have to get one

thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The later year 5.9 exhaust should be a direct fit.

There are many good sources for the exhaust. I would go with a full turbo back when deleting.

I have used Rollin Smoke Diesel and James has excellent customer service. They also have a great deal on a turbo back kit with Smarty.

http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/pd-...ce-package.cfm
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boatruptcy
yeah, after reading more, im going with the smarty for sure and the insight as gauges, the only problem is when i tow i dont want to have to reprogram, so i will probably just run in level one or two i guess.

so the 5.9 exhaust will just bolt on? where is a good place to get it, or should i just buy a dpf delete pipe without the sims, i think i can pick one up for about 250.

i hear ya on the second job, my girlfriend is going to be upset when i tell her shes going to have to get one

thanks for your help.
I to have the Smarty installed and tow a 5er. I am running SW3, every thing else is at the normal settings. I have no issues with towing with my settings and this only adds 60HP to the truck.
Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM

Sounds great, I was worried about pulling with stock tranny, thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the stock tranny, a 60hp bump is the most it will safely handle on the OEM torque converter towing. Also with the Smarty you have many more tuning options for torque rise, rail pressure, timing and VGT response as well as tire size adjustments. You can make the 60 hp program hurt the torque converter with higher torque rise adjustments. I tow my 28ft TT with the 60hp program and it handles it very well.

Also if you run the Smarty, it takes care of the EGR even on the "S" program for stock equipped trucks without unplugging it.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM

a must is the tcm tune from mhp, stock air box mods, airdog II , smarty, and an open exhaust. then maybe an egr cooler delete.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 PM

got the truck last night, love it. oil change, bedliner, cap rail, block heater cord, sirius subscription and all my soon to come upgrades, i think buying the truck is the cheapest part

thanks for the help
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM

I have a edge I am taking out of my 07.5 If ya need one. I have the smarty and am just going with a gauge set.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 PM

why wouldnt you just the leave the edge in for gauges and turbo timer and use the smarty for tunes, i had thought about doing that but rather cost prohibitive considering my current economic state of misfortune, or will the edge not allow you to use the turbo timer on the factory setting?