3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Settings and Meanings

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smarty Jr Settings and Meanings

Hey DTR, I was wondering if somebody could explain the settings on the Smarty Jr for me and possibly other new people like me.

Which setting is the best for fuel economy (saying i keep my foot out of the go pedal) and which setting is the safest yet best setting for towing?

I always here people talking about SW1-SW3 and the rest on default? If i could get a break down on each setting and what each other setting means that would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Breakdowns are all here. Read this:

http://www.madselectronics.com/downl...7UserGuide.pdf
Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Breakdowns are all here. Read this:

http://www.madselectronics.com/downl...7UserGuide.pdf

I appreciate that! Guess I am going to have to add that websites to the ol favoites list. haha thanks again
Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by mattmanj2001
I appreciate that! Guess I am going to have to add that websites to the ol favoites list. haha thanks again
Absolutely! You're welcome. MADS website is going to have to become a sticky or some shortcut made to them as a link since I believe they may be a supporter/sponsor of the site... They are referred to VERY often and for a good reason.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Absolutely! You're welcome. MADS website is going to have to become a sticky or some shortcut made to them as a link since I believe they may be a supporter/sponsor of the site... They are referred to VERY often and for a good reason.
I second that...everytime I have had any newbie question, I have either been refered to Blake, Yours, Lary's, or MADS page haha The only thing about the intructions tho is that the power settings dont really go into the detail about which one is recommended for towing and which one is recommended for fuel mileage? And another problem with the instructions is that talk about the Torque Management System and to me especially I dont exactly know what that means but I know it has to do with how much torque it will put out...i know these are things a seasoned vet would know about this but I am still learning...Happy Thanksgiving from the huge sandbox (its thanksgiving where im at)
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM

I'd like to know what the Timing settings actually are. Like what exactly is the Smarty Standard (Setting 2) in Degrees, and it says Setting 3 is less, Setting 4 is more but by how many degrees? I've read and heard that for fuel economy 2 Deg Before TDC works well but it increases Turbo Lag and increases the CO (Carbon Monoxide) output. I finally get some Gauges the end of the Month and want to start playing around with the Injection Timing and see what overall effect it has on EGT, Towing, Mileage, etc.
Dana
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by CE Zero
I'd like to know what the Timing settings actually are. Like what exactly is the Smarty Standard (Setting 2) in Degrees, and it says Setting 3 is less, Setting 4 is more but by how many degrees? I've read and heard that for fuel economy 2 Deg Before TDC works well but it increases Turbo Lag and increases the CO (Carbon Monoxide) output. I finally get some Gauges the end of the Month and want to start playing around with the Injection Timing and see what overall effect it has on EGT, Towing, Mileage, etc.
Dana
Hey Dana, I understand what you are saying about wanting to know exactly what the settings are and what difference they are going to make if you go higher or lower...and I did see on the MADS user guide that it said that setting 3 is less? Some of this doesnt make much sense to me and would love to learn more about this before I commit and end up blowing a tranny because I didnt fully understand what I was doing? Knowledge is key for me and just want to be able to understand what exactly I am doing. If you dont mind would you keep me informed after you install the guages to what your findings are?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only one that is a little confusing is the torque. stock the ecm manages torque to reduce emissions as the smarty numbers go up, less management is applied ie. setting 4 you get the most torque. for your truck the way it is set up now. remove the egr and set the smarty jr to timing 4 default torque sw3 or performance as it is called. later on get the h&s delete to get rid of dpf and cat and change muffler.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Matt;
My gauges just came in today so I haven't installed them yet but as soon as it quits raining... (July?) I'll post results. Mean while, I just reprogrammed the Truck to carl48's recommendations and running empty I picked up .3 MPG to 23.9 @ 65 MPH (Short trip - 115 Miles). I think the Timing made the differance.
I normally run SW2 (+70 - Towing) Setting when towing (35' 5er) and get around 13.5 loaded (13,200 lbs) @ 60 MPH. Did a Crosscountry last year Vancouver, BC to Florida and Home to Vancouver, WA... No Problem.
Dana
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 AM
"California Style"

Matt;
My gauges just came in today so I haven't installed them yet but as soon as it quits raining... (July?) I'll post results. Mean while, I just reprogrammed the Truck to carl48's recommendations and running empty I picked up .3 MPG to 23.9 @ 65 MPH (Short trip - 115 Miles). I think the Timing made the differance.
I normally run SW2 (+70 - Towing) Setting when towing (35' 5er) and get around 13.5 loaded (13,200 lbs) @ 60 MPH. Did a Crosscountry last year Vancouver, BC to Florida and Home to Vancouver, WA... No Problem.
Dana
Dang, I wish I could get near those numbers empty or towing. I guess I just drive too fast... Loaded and towing my TT toyhauler rated at 11,000#'s loaded I get around 10 mpg on the overhead. I used to get between 8 & 9 on the overhead before Smarty Sr. I run SW3 all other parameters stock. Hand calced, I'm sure the MPG are all 1 to 2 mpg less even. Lucky to get over 300 miles from a tank when loaded. I did see 22 mpg on the overhead once unloaded on a nice highway trip before though...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I'm in the same boat at mega-engr. Smarty set to Stock or fuel Economy, 10 to 12 towing, hand calculated and its only a 6,000 lb TT with rounded front and rear travelling at 65 mph. I don't mind paying that fuel economy price because she tows like a dream. Now on the highway empty, I can easily get 19 to 20, maybe a little more if its not windy.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM

The key here seems to be the speed at which you're pulling/driving. I'm not in any hurry to get anywhere when I'm pulling and the difference between 60 and 65 seems to be about 1 MPG loss and at 70 another 2 MPG loss. Faster = More Wind resistance. So if I run at 70 MPH with the 5er it drops to 10/10.5 unless I'm tucked up behind an 18 Wheeler to break the wind resistance.
Dana
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM

The key here seems to be the speed at which you're pulling/driving. I'm not in any hurry to get anywhere when I'm pulling and the difference between 60 and 65 seems to be about 1 MPG loss and at 70 another 2 MPG loss. Faster = More Wind resistance. So if I run at 70 MPH with the 5er it drops to 10/10.5 unless I'm tucked up behind an 18 Wheeler to break the wind resistance.
Dana
This is all good information and myself as well as alot of people will appreciate the advice you guy are giving...right now it just seems like im stuck between a rock and a hardplace...I have 2 shopping carts opened up right now:

1st. Mini Maxx and DPF Delete Kit - $1120 thru www.thoroughbreddiesel.com

2nd. Smarty JR ME, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, DPF Delete Kit, and Full EGR Delete Kit - $1060 www.thoroughbreddiesel.com

I like the idea of having all my guages and my programmer all into one package, but I have heard so many good things about smarty as well as H&S products. The smarty seems a little too complicated for me to use and to know exactly what im doing to my truck, where as the Mini Maxx doesnt have all the extra tuning options but it is straight foward power levels. I have heard everybody say that the smarty jr has nice smooth power but also hear that H&S has the best customer service (in some peoples opinion, not saying thats true). As far as the edge insight, im not sure i like how the pyro connects to the back of the module itself. Judging by the price it seems like I would recieve alot more with the Smarty option, but very skeptical about purchasing the smarty in fear I wont know what im doing and screw something up especially with all the other little tunes you can do, im afraid i wont be able to find the tune that is right for my truck as far as mileage. It would be nice to hear from both Smarty and H&S users and tell me what what likes and dislikes that they have with their product.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
"California Style"

$ aside, I think you'll be splitting hairs trying to find what you think is optimal for MPG. Each truck, set-up circumstand is unique. I think you'll be set with either option. I went with option 2 and the Jr. was not available when I got my Smarty Sr. I just leave it on SW3 with all other setting as default since I'm simply happy to have the improved MPG from the deletes, more power, and several other advantages. I have had no issue with the Pyro connection to the Edge. The programmer and gauges all in one is an attractive option as well.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Dana
I agree, I tow about 59-62, to get the best mpg. Some of you guys still have the cat on, don't you?, maybe that takes away alittle. I tow at 67-70, (I only did iit for fuel testing, way too fast) mpg goes down alot. Also, I get the best empty mpg, whether I'm towing, or empty, on tow, timing1, and tq 1. When I go to economy, default timing, default tq, I don't see as good empty mpg as tow mode.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Settings and Meanings