3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Settings and Meanings

Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually 1 of the biggest MPG improvements I ever got was after a fillup with #1 Diesel in Montana. On that tank I averaged just over 24 MPG running empty, soooo.... I've been adding Cetane Booster ever since, I use Stanadyne and it seems to help. I think fuel quality is probably one of the biggest variables. My Ex-Daughter in Law drives from Blaine, WA to Vancouver every 3 weeks (300 miles each way) with her 6.0 L Excursion and is amazed by the difference in fuel mileage between here and there. She said she was told that they add something to the Fuel up there in the Winter and it really cuts the Milage She also says the difference between a fill here and one there is about 2 MPG with the Vancouver fuel coming out on top. I've noticed the same thing with some brands, for instance I get worse milage (by about 2 MPG) with Shell than whatever brand it is that they sell at the Grocery Store around the corner from me.
Dana
Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Matt;
I know nothing about Diesels that I haven't learned here. I went with the JR ME because it was cheap and I can afford cheap. I would have liked to go to the more expensive more functional units but couldn't justify the extra expense at the time. Now that I have the JR I'm satisfied. ALL of the settings seem to be 'Tow Safe' as long as you don't go nuts. I've just started playing around with the Timing/Torque Settings and have had the Programmer for over a year. I'd just program it and leave every thing at Default for the Program Level. It would be nice to have a "Shift on the fly" Programmer but I really haven't found a need for one. As for an All in One Gauge Package I kind of like the CTS but when I Emailed them last Month they couldn't tell me what all is monitored thru the ODBII Port on an '09. It would be nice to hook up a Remote Camera to the Back of the 5er though. I like the looks of Blakes stand alones though...
Dana
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 PM

ok how about this question...Lets take the Mini Maxx Power Levels are Stock, 60, 120, and 175...would the stock auto tranny even handle any of those? and next question would the tranny be able to handle the smarty assuming i drive responsibly and every so often lay into the pedal? i mean have yall heard of any problems with the auto and the tuners?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM

From everything I've read the Stock Tranny is good to +100 HP if you stay within Towing Limits. I'm pretty sure you can exceed that HP if you use common sense and don't go Sled Pulling or Hot Rodding. Where in Washington are you? If I show how simple the JR actually is to use maybe it'd help in your decision.
Dana
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mattmanj2001
ok how about this question...Lets take the Mini Maxx Power Levels are Stock, 60, 120, and 175...would the stock auto tranny even handle any of those? and next question would the tranny be able to handle the smarty assuming i drive responsibly and every so often lay into the pedal? i mean have yall heard of any problems with the auto and the tuners?
The tranny can take the power, you just can't be about it and why gauges are recommended. It is kind of like the combo of time and temperature. You can cook long at a low temp or fast at a high temp and still get it done to eat... Just don't go long and hot unless you like to eat charcol or repair trannies and other items.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CE Zero
From everything I've read the Stock Tranny is good to +100 HP if you stay within Towing Limits. I'm pretty sure you can exceed that HP if you use common sense and don't go Sled Pulling or Hot Rodding. Where in Washington are you? If I show how simple the JR actually is to use maybe it'd help in your decision.
Dana
Awesome info right there...with that being said I think its safe for me to say I will probably go the smarty jr route just for the fact that it has 3 levels including stock under the 100hp mark as compared to the mini maxx which only offers 2 levels including stock under 100hp. Im located around the Tacoma area of WA but I am currently deployed right now and I have till the
1st of January to make a decision because thats when my wife will order what I want so its there the day I get back. I appreciate all the comments and help.

Originally Posted by mega-engr
The tranny can take the power, you just can't be about it and why gauges are recommended. It is kind of like the combo of time and temperature. You can cook long at a low temp or fast at a high temp and still get it done to eat... Just don't go long and hot unless you like to eat charcol or repair trannies and other items.
Thats a great way of looking at it and I understand that...I appreciate the info and the help...Both of these posts have helped me make a more informed decision. Thank You