3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

ratlratl and the S67

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
It's not that hard at all, man. Where do you live?

Air tools help a lot, and an extra pair of hands. Other than that, if you can take nuts and bolts apart, and line up two pieces of pipe, you're in there.
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I'm good with tools and do a lot of work on my vehicles, including motorcycles. So I know what you mean. Many things are more intimidating than they are actually hard to do.

I've got a good set of tools, including air tools, and even have a friend who probably could help. But he won't know anything about the Dodge. Just an extra set of hands and a mechanical eye.

Gotta save up the cash for the Smarty and the pipe. That won't be easy, but I'll figure it out.

I'd love to see a full write up with photos, including EGR removal and plug process. That would be some document with lots of photos, but I'm one of those kinds of people who learn better that way. Maybe if I get around to doing this I'll take all of the photos and do a write up for everyone.

ben
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ben, If your truck is stock then you shouldn't have trouble. Dodge actually got something right this time. In the past they used regular exhaust clamps and crimped the pipes so tight you needed a torch or sawzall to get the stuff off. Not so now. They use clamps that allow the pipes to slide apart. That should take alot of the trouble out of the job. Guess they were planning on issues with the DPF huh? I had the pipe and flange made because I was too cheap/broke to get the $220 delete pipe. For $60 I think I did okay. This wasn't that hard to do, just question every step before you do the job and get the answer for it. Plenty of knowledge on this sight. Just ask.

Chris
Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Chris,

Got a Smarty question for you. I know you can do the EGR delete code free with the S67 but what about the cooler delete? I did some looking at the MADS site and didnt see it, thought maybe it was in the documentation that came with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

With the Smarty it has you disconnect the bypass motor that's on the cooler. I think that'll let you yank the whole contraption off of the manifold then.

I'm thinking about it so I can tap one of the block off plates for a pyro. Even more sneaky for back to stock.

Go to mads site. Click on S67ME downloads. Agree with the terms and it will show you the steps with images.

Chris
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by armourbl
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I'm good with tools and do a lot of work on my vehicles, including motorcycles. So I know what you mean. Many things are more intimidating than they are actually hard to do.

I've got a good set of tools, including air tools, and even have a friend who probably could help. But he won't know anything about the Dodge. Just an extra set of hands and a mechanical eye.

Gotta save up the cash for the Smarty and the pipe. That won't be easy, but I'll figure it out.

I'd love to see a full write up with photos, including EGR removal and plug process. That would be some document with lots of photos, but I'm one of those kinds of people who learn better that way. Maybe if I get around to doing this I'll take all of the photos and do a write up for everyone.

ben
The only really hard part was getting the new downpipe to match up with the turbo. You have to take the tranny crossmember down and support the tranny, but other than that...

The kit that my buddy used did not have you putting any of the sensors back in.

There are not great pics here, but a few, and some vids of after the delete...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...tDTR/Hendrick/
Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The cross member wasnt that bad IMO. We just supported the tranny with a floor jack, took the bolts off the crossmember on the pipe side, loosened them on the other and it swung down.

Mad and Chris are right though. If you have any mechanical aptitude at all this job is easy.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i have been running around with the S67 for a week now and all i can say is WOW!! this thing puts the bullybog to shame in a very bad way! already the milage is up to 14 around town from the EDIT poor 9.5-10 it normally got. i am going to put the delete pipe back on this weekend and the egr block off plates back in also. can't believe this thing almost runs like the 5.9 with the smarty on 9!! now to start looking at a torque converter.

Last edited by madhat; 09-06-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: S/L
Old 09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Finally got a little road trip in. Just under 560 miles to Mad's home and back. Mostly all interstate with exception of around 60 miles city. With the cruise set on 72-75 I got right under 19 mpg hand calc. This is by far the best mileage this truck has ever gotten. My daily drive is 70 miles round trip with mostly city or in town stop and go. So I know it doesn't get anywhere near this. I have it on 14ME, SW-5, TQ-2, TMG-2, RP-0, VGT-4. It shoots up on-ramps really well and accelerates to pass with ease. Also it doesn't smoke much at all. I did fill up before and upon return at the same pump using the small nozzle on the slow notch to be as accurate as possible.

More to come....

Name:  mileage.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  65.0 KB

Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ratlratl
Finally got a little road trip in. Just under 560 miles to Mad's home and back. Mostly all interstate with exception of around 60 miles city. With the cruise set on 72-75 I got right under 19 mpg hand calc. This is by far the best mileage this truck has ever gotten. My daily drive is 70 miles round trip with mostly city or in town stop and go. So I know it doesn't get anywhere near this. I have it on 14ME, SW-5, TQ-2, TMG-2, RP-0, VGT-4. It shoots up on-ramps really well and accelerates to pass with ease. Also it doesn't smoke much at all. I did fill up before and upon return at the same pump using the small nozzle on the slow notch to be as accurate as possible.

More to come....

Chris

Wish I could buy diesel for that It appears that you ran out of credit and it switched off at $75?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Nope. I filled up the morning I left at a station a couple of miles from the house. Instead of going to the high volume truck pumps I used the car/Ford pump. I set it on the low speed click and kept filling it after the foam came up and shut off the nozzle. When I returned to the same pump, the nozzle clicked off at around $71. I did the slow fill until I got to $75. Needle was in the same place each time. Pretty accurate I think.

Chris
Old 09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Also, did I mention that it smells like a diesel now too. That DPF was sucking all of the truck out of it. Smoke, power and scents.

Chris
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, did I mention that it smells like a diesel now too. That DPF was sucking all of the truck out of it. Smoke, power and scents.

Chris
Do you get a dirty finger in the tail pipe yet?????
Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Yes! Very dirty pipe now. Funny guy! Funny guy! Did you see the pic that BC547 put up in NC#18?

Chris
Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes! Very dirty pipe now. Funny guy! Funny guy! Did you see the pic that BC547 put up in NC#18?

Chris
Yes I am!! Which picture? Your small pet snake!!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

This one knucklehead. PIC BTW that Snap-On hub tool worked like magic!!! Minutes to get the hubs off of Mad's truck.

Chris

Quick Reply: ratlratl and the S67