3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

ratlratl and the S67

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ratlratl and the S67

First off, big thanks again to DTR, Lary and Mads Electronics.

Got the new toy Wednesday this week and wasted no time downloading the new 14 sw from Mads. Can't believe I remembered how to from when I owned my S06. Paying attention to the paperwork I set it on SW3 all defaults. Fun, but not out of control fun. Went back in the next day and moved the TM and VGT to 2 and left RP and INJECTION TIMING on default. A litlle more fun. Went ahead and loaded SW5 and backed all REVO to default. Now were talking. I'm not full on hot ******* it for god knows the traffic around here won't allow it. I got a break on one on-ramp and was able to stand on it through fourth gear. The pull once it gets into fourth is nice and you start closing in on traffic quick.

So that's the opening story and these are the questions:

Can someone explain the VGT tuning. I can read that one is stock, two is more aggressive and three will eat away at my fuel mileage. What level is default (0) or are all steps over and above?

I have not had any issues with the EBrake on this truck, but I really feel it is working much better now. Either more aggressive, or maybe just cleaner from less EGR? Do all the Smarty SW's minimize the EGR or just the ME ones?

Lastly, directed at all those who are still running with their DPF and EGR in stock, what settings are you running with the auto tranny?

I kinda chuckle when I see the included papers say that SW3 is the highest save level for an auto, and that SW5 is the highest for a stock clutch. I owned an '06 w/G56 tranny and my stock clutch couldn't hold SW3 in fifth gear at light throttle let alone full throttle. Once I upgraded to a S/Bend clutch it was SW9 all the time.

Chris
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im glad that im not the only one that noticed that i cant run my smarty past sw3 without it slipping. i aint running the new 14 im still running r12 but im still loving it. still no smoke. kinda sad about it cause i still like to have alittle fun with the smoke
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got soot, I would upgrade to the 14 version.. Much improved!

I have run both SW3 and SW5 with not much difference for me.. Maybe I didn't use 5 long enough, but I tow my TT and didn't want to chance it. I have set the VGT to 4 and its really responsive. Pops the boost up over 20 psi on a medium to moderate accell from stop and sweeps to 32ish at WOT... I believe the default for VGT is 2 like all the other options, so the moderate gain on VGT response.

So as it stands, SW3, Tq2, timing default, rail P default, VGT 4.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I like SW5, but have gone back to SW3 recently since I'm going to be doing some towing with the Smarty for the first time next week. Running the settings stock. Love the Smarty and my S&B intake. Cool turbo singing sounds...
Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear you like it. Im working on saving my pennies to get mine. Gonna pull the trigger on lift, rims, tires, stacks, Smarty, and EGR deletes all at the same time (hoping for X-Mas). I think Im gonna leave the Edge in place when I do and just run it on stock timing.

With the Edge on level 5 I get a little shudder between 4th and 5th at around 70mph when standing on it. Anyone get this with the Smarty?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thanks for the responses. This week I'm gonna have a DPF "test pipe" made. I have a shop that'll make the flange from a DPF gasket and mate it to a section of 4" pipe. Then we'll try the ME SW's. IIRC I can just unplug the sensor and tape it off to the harness. Maybe see some smoke out of both rear nostrils. Gonna keep the NOX scrubber for now.

Chris
Old 08-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ratlratl
Gonna keep the NOX scrubber for now.
Why? Might as well just go all the way with it. Not like it makes it only have as illegal if you worried about emmisions.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, Chris, why keep the scrubber? With as much smoke that the Smarty makes, you'll clog that thing in no time...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

I had kept the cat on the '06 with a Smarty on SW9 and still got plenty of smoke out. I don't see the NOX as that big a restriction. Plus since the truck is gonna be basically straight-piped after this, I may even hang the resonater back in to keep the tone down some. I can't run it on all that high a setting now anyways. No squirrel $$ for a TC.

Chris
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

R14 is supposed to be less soot producing.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just done my Deletes yesterday Got the 5" Exhaust on as well.Long day Today I downLoad the Smarty ME! It is Killing me not driving the truck but I know you have to run the ME Tune so it wont go in to LIMP mod.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM

IIRC the vgt settings are 1 = stock, 2 = slightly better than stock, 3 = mpg's very sluggish, 4 = light'em up. I am running sw 3, timing 3, rp 2, tm 4, vgt 4. I am runnig the 14me.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Chapter President

How well does the increased timing work?.. Was looking at that setting to try something new.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 AM

What exactly does the vgt setting control?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 AM

I am still playing with the timing, I do get some rattle when the truck is cold and that worries me a little. On the smarty the vgt settings control how the turbo spools up. I have not been able to convince myself to take it off of 4 but a couple of times. I think though on 3 and with the tranny in 6th with the torque converter locked and and the engine lugged some my smoke switch would really roll.

Quick Reply: ratlratl and the S67