3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Pyro (thermocouple) installation and warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"BMH95, what procedure did you use to install yours, did you pull the manifold off or not? "

I didn't grease or anything. I simply drilled the hole in the warm manifold and then used a pencil magnet followed by a vacumn to pull out as many shavings as possible. A whole lot of shavings came out. I was worried about fine particles, and had read hundreds of posts on several sites about it before I drilled. The conclusion most came to eventually was that if you suck up as many large particles as possible, the first couple of exhaust pulses that come out of the motor, when it's started, will blow all the remaining particles past the turbo before it starts spinning. I finally decided to stop being so paranoid and just do it. I drilled between cylinders number 2 and 3, so the shavings would fall into the horizontal part of the manifold rather than down onto the turbo. This was the place Diesel Manor recommended, and it made the most sense for drilling with the manifold in place - to me anyway. Had I drilled right over the turbo I likely would have pulled the turbo. At 97,000 miles Blackstone told me my engine is wearing better than the average motor at my milage. The turbo still spooles and makes boost like it should, and I think the gauges have been on it for about 50,000 miles - give or take some.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Well i had the same concerns you have when i did mine. Just take your time, drill slow with or without grease, take your time tapping, you dont want to break it off. Use a telescoping magnet to get all the big chunks out, and your done. Did that almost 100,000 miles ago no problems. If you are worried about warranty dont do it, but how in the hell can a warranty get voided for drilling a hole to monitor egts, i guess it happens though.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Doing it with grease, I only got a few flecks out with the magnet.

I'm sure thosee little flecks would have passed through harmlessly, but for peace of mind it was good to check.

I was kind of paranoid when I did my first one, drilling a hole on my pretty new $$$ laramie, but now I've come to think that I, along with a lot of people, was more worried about this than the facts warranted.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM

When we installed mine, we dropped the turbo, put blue painters tape sticky side up across the top of the turbo, and let the shavings fall on that and stick to the tape. This was about 3.5 years ago, and I haven't had a single problem.
Scott
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM

I've drilled it out without grease and use a shop vac and pencil magnets to get all the shavings. I've installed about 10 this way haven't had any issues (except the time I shattered the tap, my fault, and then I had to pull the whole exahust manifold off). I've had a dealership attempt to not do any warranty work on my truck because he linked the gauges I had with aftermarket chips and programmers (of which I did not have). Had to talk to the service manager, and eventually they did the warranty work... But for the 4 or 5 other dealerships I've been too most do not have any issues with them at all...