3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Phoenix Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix Emissions

I am fully deleted and need to take my 2008 Dodge Mega Cab in for emissions testing this month. So my questions are:

1) Will I be required to open the hood?
2) Can I just put the stock exhaust back on and then take it in?
3) I have an H&S Tuner, so I would assume to set it back to factory for the testing phase?
4) Do I need to remove the tuner or can I leave it displayed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Replied to you PM. Just noticed your post. Hopefully I answered your questions. I don't think they would care if the tuner was present or not, as long as they have access to the OBD port. Not sure If they actually hook up to it though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 PM

Ok, I just got done putting the factory exhaust back on today and my plan is to use my H&S Tuner and set the truck on the lowest setting and then take it in and give it a whirl. So, I was just wondering:

1) Do I have to hook the connectors back up to the sensors or can I leave them out of the way?
2) There are 2 different tubes that connect just forward of the transmission brace up high that run all the way back to the back of the exhaust, just forward of the muffler. Do I need to connect them? Will my H&S Mini Max run properly in the lowest setting if I have them connected?
3) If I tune my truck to the lowest setting, can I then disconnect my H&S Mini Max?

I'm going to attempt to just secure my EGR Cooler and stuff, but leave it disconnected. I'll let everyone know how it goes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM

1) leave them disconnected...as long as your truck is still programmed as deleted.
2) Same as 1, that is the differential pressure sensor. In other words, it measures the pressure before and after the DPF... It'll only work if you reprogrammed as if the DPF wasn't removed.
3) Yes. By design I believe just as the Black Maxx, with the Mini Maxx removed it defaults to stock power.

Good luck. Don't go too long or too far with the DPF hooked up because it has no way to clean itself. Just long enough for the inspection.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Mega,
Thanks for your help, however if I unplug my H&S Mini Max from under the dash and the truck reverts back to stock, isn't this going to throw engine codes since I have everything removed under the hood?

It sounds like I am going to have to put everything back on under the hood (Ughh!) and then hook everything back up and then use my H&S to return the truck to stock. I guess the good news is that if I have to do this, it will be much easier to install than they were to take off!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the "DPF installed" tune on my H&S MiniMaxx and did my emissions last month. Came back super clean.

The tech was curious as he's "never saw a diesel run THAT clean before" and asked me if I was running a programmer. I told him I was, but it was a DPF friendly tune. I've even taken the muffler off to inspect the DPF and it's incredibly clean.

But then again, I make sure I drive it like I stole it a couple times a week which seems to help.

Honestly, you shouldn't have any problems with passing.

-Kris
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 PM

HMX,
How do you keep your programmer installed and still leave the port open for the Emissions people? Are you in Phoenix? I thought they would plug their computer into our trucks?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Just thought I would post an update. I put the EGR cooler back in the truck and secured it with just two bolts. Then I set the EGR Cooler Assembly in place and plugged it into the truck. I slightly turned the front part of the cooler assembly that attaches to the crossover tube so that they couldn't see that the crossover tube was missing. I decided not to put that in place because I have a Glacier Diesel intake horn and don't have anywhere for the crossover tube to attach. I secured the top cover assembly on top of the motor only because it did a fairly good job of hiding things. Then I put the factory exhaust back on from the turbo back.

So, I went to the emissions testing center this morning without the crossover tube, factory intake horn or throttle assembly. Just before getting there, with the engine running a factory tune (with deletes), I unplugged the H&S Mini Max from the port and removed the display and taped over the hole. I had read that the H&S will run for 2 or 3 driving cycles before reverting back to stock.

When the young inspector opened the hood to my truck, he immediately saw my blue intake horn and called over an older gentleman. I saw him pointing to my EGR Cooler and pointing out that it was plugged in. They looked under the truck with a mirror to make sure the appropriate exhaust was in place. Then they had me rev my motor up 3 times. Now here is the funny part. Last year with everything stock, the Opacity reading was 2.5. This year with everything gone except the factory exhaust, the Opacity reading was 0.3. Looks like I made it another year. It was a lot of work and I seriously need to move out of Phoenix so I don't have to do this silly test anymore. I hope this helps someone out.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 PM

That is great news, all pain aside from having to make everything "look" like it is installed and working.

Kind of makes you wonder why an aftermarket program can make a truck run cleaner. The manufacturers should just outsource ecm running l tuning to the companies that know best.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Hey jwhip, do they just smog and inspect our trucks, or did they plug-in? I'm about to go through it and have a check engine light do to some emission system problem.
Thanks