3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

New Mex CTD Newbie-Airbags/Timbrens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Mex CTD Newbie-Airbags/Timbrens?

Hey Guys,

First post here. I've had my 6.7 MegaCab for about 6 months and I'm really happy with the truck so far. I've got just over 12k on it and fortunately haven't experienced any of the issues (other than less than optimal mileage) that some have with the new emissions stuff. Since I haven't had any problems, I'm on the fence about doing the DPF/EGR deletes. I'd like a little more punch but I'm leaning towards waiting 'til the warranty is out before doing any major engine mods.

I've spent an insane amount of time reading the threads on the forums in an effort to educate myself and I'm really grateful and appreciative for all the time/energy everyone spends getting the info out and sharing their experiences. If it weren't for the internet, I'd probably be 99% perfectly happy with my truck but now that I know how much potential is in these trucks...the genie's out of the bottle so to speak. We'll see where that leads.

I'm an oil/gas directional driller and I put in a lot of miles driving on roads that are only minimally maintained, also live in a mountainous area and regularly have to navigate 2-3' (sometimes more) of snow. With that in mind, the first chunk of change is going into the suspension. Don Thuren should have some goodies coming my way soon and I'll be putting some 37" Toyo MT's on when we get the suspension upgrade done. If anyone's interested, I'll be happy to share why I decided to go with Don's setup but I imagine most of you already know.

I also have to pull some fairly heavy trailers on a regular basis. I know I'm going to lose some of my towing capacity with the Carli leaf springs. Don suggested Timbrens to help out the new springs when I'm pulling one of my trailers. Don's opinion is that the airbags (even Carli's long travel) will compromise off-road performance. I do like to hammer it a bit off-road when it's safe to do so

I know some of you guys have your trucks set up with similar systems and I'm curious what your experiences/issues have been and what you would advise. All contributions gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 02:41 PM

I have timbrens on my 06 2500 - love them!!
Best $200.00 (installed) I ever spent on suspension.
Had air bags - hated them.
Some guys swear by them though. I am also a DD in Canada - pull 9k trailer & 2 Quads on Deck of truck - level through the scales looking good.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Wow...small world.

You guys busy up there? We're a little slow down here, typical end of the year, drilling budgets used up deal. I've been home a month, mostly by choice...wife had some surgery but I'm headed out Sunday afternoon to start a multi-well project for a new client. My boss called last week and spent about 20 minutes reassuring me he would keep the "A-Team" busy.

So, you keep the Timbrens mounted up all the time? Ever feel them when you're unloaded and have your foot in it? What were the problems you had with the airbags?

Thx!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM

timbrens

Never feel them at all ever. Just level loaded thats all.
Had air bag get a hole in it, losing air, looking for air pump, etc.
Same here on the work end.. was busy since June till now.. year end.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 AM

i run Timbrens and want to go to airbags. There's only about an inch of spacing between the axle and the bottome of the timbrens, which means I only get 1" of suspension before my axle hits that hard rubber and jars the crap out of me. I also pull a 15k 5th wheel and it still squats the truck too much. Don't get me wrong, it's better to have the Timbrens to pull that trailer than stock suspension, but I think airbags would've suited me better.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 AM

I have the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags - I just LOVE them. I have had mine on for close to 3 years without any problems. I like being able to change the pressure depending on the different things I tow and their weights.

If I were going to put a set on now, I'd go with the bags that PacBrake makes. Their hardware is nicer/sturdier, bags are a little sturdier as well.

CD
Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Wonder if the Pacbrake airbags hold more pressure or are rated different/higher than the Ride rite? Lots of people really like the Pacbrake hardware better and a few have mentioned a better bag, but I haven't read any specs to confirm a better bag. Anyone know?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Firestone RR here and Love them. Had Timbrens much happier with the RR.
Topper
Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Unless you are trying to keep up with a trophy trucks the Carli lt air bags work great.I just got back from Baja chasing for a class 8 truck.I had to do 1200 miles to git er done.At one point I had to jump on the course to get to where I needed to be in time.I was in the middle of the expert bikes and was only passed twice.

I doubt many will want to climb under the truck and remove timbrens every time they want to go off road

Bob
Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Bob, what kind of controller/air system do you use with those Carli's? What kind of pressure do you run off-road with an empty bed?

Thx!

-Mike
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 AM

I have installed many Firestone air bags kits on mine and others trucks...never a complaint. The ability to adjust is hard to beat plus you then have a way of justifying a compressor.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 AM

PacBrake bags look like Easy Street Bags.
http://www.easystreetair.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=744

Might I recommend Slam Specialties bags. Most of the bags this size are interchangable and have the same mounting patterns. I love slam air bags as they do not balloon like Firestones and most others. They are very highly sought after in the lowered truck world as well, in applications that completely replace leaf or coil springs. They also have one of the best spring rates, heavier weight rubber construction, and higher pressure ratings than most others.

http://www.slamspecialties.com/home.html
Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Warponee
Bob, what kind of controller/air system do you use with those Carli's? What kind of pressure do you run off-road with an empty bed?

Thx!

-Mike
I shoot for about 5 psi off road,but sometimes I forget to air down from my 15psi I tow with
I always carry a powertank and sometimes a compressor so I just have dual air lines run to the trailer hitch with schraeders.

Bob
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Bob, I'm putting bags on in a couple days. Can you post a shot of your air valves?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

I'll second the Carli LT bags... They are the only reasonalbe solution that allows you to run a softer full replacement set of rear leaves and still maintain amazing carrying/towing capacity.

The Carli's did not seem to affect my articulation at all, and may even function similar to rear bumps when pushing things hard...still waiting on some new shocks though before testing that!

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Carli bags.

I purchased a Dakota digital controller, some switches, an Air Zenith continuous duty compressor and 5 gallon aluminum tank, and a 4-way solenoid pack like used on bagged lowriders for in cab display and control...still haven't got it all hooked up, but after pumping up the bags and deflating 100 times or so now, I really need to get on it!

--Eric

Quick Reply: New Mex CTD Newbie-Airbags/Timbrens?