3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Have "fixed" my emissions system, but now

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have "fixed" my emissions system, but now

... I'm noticing a trail of oil in my tail pipe. In any of the discussions I've read about DPF/CAT deletes, I've not seen any mention of this as a product of not having the dpf or cat. Is it possible for the oil from the CCV to be making its way through the turbo and down the system? Not having seen the turbo removed from the engine, I don't really know if the intake side of the turbo is sealed off from the exhaust side. At first I was hoping that maybe what I'm seeing is the oily residue from the exhaust system itself, but my '95 was straight piped and I don't recall having a trail of oil in the tail pipe after it was installed. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Wow!

80 views and not a single thought on this? Did I not word my question correctly? I know there are guys on here that have done the deletes. A little help is all I'm asking for. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
From my research it could be a problem with the turbo. Also check this out:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...tml?styleid=11

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM

6.7, thanks for the link. Since you're the one and only person with a 6.7 to respond...
I see you've done the deletes. Did you also do the CCV delete / re-route? The reason I asked the question in the 6.7L forum is because from what I've seen, oil on the front side of the turbo (on the 6.7's) is due to the CCV venting to the intake side of the turbo. My truck has just under 75k miles on it now and at 60k I had the dealer do the EGR cleaning and replace the CCV filter. Trying to understand how it's considered a good thing to vent the crankcase (oil vapors) to the turbo intake.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have not done the CCV delete and re-route...yet. I need to but I haven't had the time...maybe in a couple weeks. I have over 76K miles on my rig and haven't had a single problem and the last time I had the intake off, there was zero oil observed in the vent line. I don't know if its because I run a premium synthetic oil or not? The NOACK volatility is quite low compared to other oils. Of course, oil like Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 and Shell Rotella doesn't list their NOACK volatility specs.

That is true, the oil is due to where the CCV vent line is routed on the air intake tube in front of the turbo.

It was put there because of emissions regulations as way to keep everything "contained". Folks that have done the reroute and CCV delete have just ran a longer line, but in my opinion that isn't good because it allows foreign particles to enter into the top of the valve cover.

It is not a good design because the turbo can force oil residue to the intercooler, making the "cooling" of the air less efficient. There shouldn't be any oil contamination through the whole intake system, it should all be dry. I am completely for rerouting it off of the intake, but I think it is important to add a CCV filter (something like what is available from the parts store), especially if you remove the stock filter beneath the valve cover.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:55 PM

6.7L, thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 AM

I rerouted my CCV. didn't want that nasty air/oil going through my turbo/intake.
So I cant tell you if that is your problem, but Id be looking a turbo issue first.
Does is smoke?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM

O.K., preliminary results after re-routing the CCV line....no oil in the tail pipe. My son and I did inspect the turbo for any play in the shaft; that was good. And I failed to mention in my original post that I don't have any smoke from the exhaust.... well, now I get the "good" smoke when I want it to.