3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Good News from Bullydog

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good News from Bullydog

I emailed Bullydog asking about the programmer for the 6.7's. They emailed me back saying that they expect it to be on the market in about a month.

Enclosed is a copy of the reply:

They are in testing now. They should be out in a month or so.
Thanks

Jason Murdock
Technician
Bully Dog Technologies
www.bullydog.com
888-285-5936 ext 127

-----Original Message-----
From: _contact_us@bullydog.com [mailto:_contact_us@bullydog.com]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 7:37 PM
To: Jason Murdock
Subject: ** Bullydog.radius3.com Auto-response **

********* Auto Generated Form Email **********

> Choice: Survey
> Sender name: Chris Hobbs
> Phone:
> V make: Dodge
> V model: Three
> V engine: Other
> V trans: 6
> V month: Mar
> V year: 2006
> Topic: Product Feedback
> Comments: When Do You Expect To Come Out With The Programmer For The
2007 6.7 Cummins?thanks
> Submit: Submit Query
This message is auto-generated by your web site when the form
"bullydogcontactus.form" is submitted by a site visitor on page
"Contact_us". No need to reply.

FYI:
This data has been save to the "BULLYDOGCONTACTUS" database table.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 04-03-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Removed personal info
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!

I wonder what their DPF solution is?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also emailed superchips and they said that they are working on one, but it will be a while.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by supercharged_hp
Sweet!

I wonder what their DPF solution is?

That's what i'd be concerned about...how does it play with all the new exciting emissions stuff...they'll eventually figure it all out....but how could they have done so and tested enough in such a short time???
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

I got one from them beta testing, for my dads cab and chassis and its great!!!!!!!!!! Wes
Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by dodgeboy59td
I got one from them beta testing, for my dads cab and chassis and its great!!!!!!!!!! Wes
So Wes, what's it like when that DPF cleans itself of all that soot that ANY good power adder would have to add(even w/ VGT)?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Banned

I havent even noticed it cleaning itself, my dad drives it mostly and he said that its not noticable when it cleans itself. We did get a letter from bullydog saying that it may reduce the life of the DPF. Dont know how much though? Wes
Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 AM
tcr

AHHHHH, That is their ticket out of being responsible for your DPF taking a dump prematurely. I would run IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM

If you can eliminate any engine light you might get, hack that dpf off with a quickness!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by tcr
AHHHHH, That is their ticket out of being responsible for your DPF taking a dump prematurely. I would run IMO.
What kind of "solution" are you looking for. If you put extra fuel into the system it will burn off more often. Thats the solution.....

The one method to make more power with less soot is Timing, I'm sure some of that power's coming from that.

I wouldn't think Bully Dog would pioneer an aftermarket method of burning off the DPF would you? The truck will know when it needs it, and if it hasn't burnt off already then it hasn't needed it. The other symptom of the truck NOT burning off at this point would be a lot of pain and cost.

If this guy hasn't seen a check engine light yet the truck is probably handling the extra fuel/Timing.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
tcr

In stock form these trucks burn super clean and the DPF still has to regenerate often. Unless BD is using a different technology from everything they've done in the past, I can't see the DPF being able to keep up w/ any kind of life span. Obviously they feel the same if they're sending you a letter stating the DPF life may be reduced. If you've kept up w/ the 6.7L Bully Dog truck C&C they converted, they have already had problems w/ that truck and it's emission components. I guess time will tell w/ these DPFs on modded trucks.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
In stock form these trucks burn super clean and the DPF still has to regenerate often. Unless BD is using a different technology from everything they've done in the past, I can't see the DPF being able to keep up w/ any kind of life span. Obviously they feel the same if they're sending you a letter stating the DPF life may be reduced. If you've kept up w/ the 6.7L Bully Dog truck C&C they converted, they have already had problems w/ that truck and it's emission components. I guess time will tell w/ these DPFs on modded trucks.
I am the engineer in charge of the programming on the 6.7L at Bully Dog. Let me assure you that the above statement is not true. Regardless of what rumors you have heard our 6.7L does not, and has not had DPF Problems. I wrote the letter to Wes about the DPF because we are still testing, and until we test completely we are not positive of the effects on the DPF. That is what testing is for, and that is what we are doing.

Armapoc is right the DPF senses when it needs to do a burn off and when it does it will alert you on the overhead computer. However, because of the way the system is set up it will only do the burn off at highway speeds. So even on a stock truck you can set DPF lights if you ignore the overhead and continue in town stop and start driving. At that point you have to go to the dealer and have them set it for manual burn off with the star scan and then go drive at highway speeds for 45 to 50 minutes so it can complete the burn off. I am currently in the process of adding the manual burn off feature to the programming so if you need to do this you can do it without going to the dealership.

I can tell you that testing is going well and we do hope to release by next month, but only if we are satisfied with the test results.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Kunz
I am the engineer in charge of the programming on the 6.7L at Bully Dog. Let me assure you that the above statement is not true. Regardless of what rumors you have heard our 6.7L does not, and has not had DPF Problems. I wrote the letter to Wes about the DPF because we are still testing, and until we test completely we are not positive of the effects on the DPF. That is what testing is for, and that is what we are doing.

Armapoc is right the DPF senses when it needs to do a burn off and when it does it will alert you on the overhead computer. However, because of the way the system is set up it will only do the burn off at highway speeds. So even on a stock truck you can set DPF lights if you ignore the overhead and continue in town stop and start driving. At that point you have to go to the dealer and have them set it for manual burn off with the star scan and then go drive at highway speeds for 45 to 50 minutes so it can complete the burn off. I am currently in the process of adding the manual burn off feature to the programming so if you need to do this you can do it without going to the dealership.

I can tell you that testing is going well and we do hope to release by next month, but only if we are satisfied with the test results.

That is all a bunch of bologna.

The DPF regenerates often, especially if you have a load. If you have any equipment hooked up to it is then it is plain to see. For that matter you can see it on a simple EGT gauge. If you run low sulfer diesel in them they regenerate a tremendous amount. And yes we tested it to see what happens.

The 6.7 runs extremely hot in normal driving conditions, like 1000-1100 degrees cruising empty at the speed limits. This is to help keep the particulate matter down so the filter does not get clogged up. When it regenerates we have recorded temperatures in the 1400+ degree range.

I can also tell you that if too much soot or particulate matter gets to the filter before the filter is at its operating temperature then you can glaze the filter to a point that it cannot burn off. This is not just true on the Dodge trucks but, all the DPF systems I am aware of including the big truck systems.

Soot and extra fuel will kill the DPF, I promise you.

I am not hear to argue about how to make power or what will and won't work but, please spare these people the non sense about the DPF stuff. They are expensive and people need to know that at this time it is pretty easy to ruin them.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM
tcr

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM

I guess time will tell, but I hope that BD, Quad, Smarty and the rest can disable the DPF testing somehow. I've read that there's an EGT and pressure sensor both in front of and behind the cat/DPF unit (apparently the Ford only uses EGT front and back, not sure about GM).

Alberta doesn't have emission testing and, frankly, mine would probably fall off and I'd forget to replace it if I knew it would allow me to throw soot without damaging it. Either that or rig up a bypass system using two 4" electric cutouts

Quick Reply: Good News from Bullydog