3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

EGR-Cooler,DPF Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR-Cooler,DPF Delete

I have an 08 2500 w/ 6.7. New to the discussions, so I'm learning as I go. I just purchased an EGR Delete, Turbo back DPF delete kit and Tuner. I did the Edge Juice w/ATT and EGR this past weekend. The truck runs great. Its amaging the amount of soot in the EGR. My Mileage went up tremendously and the power makes the truck feel really light in the rear. Im doing the DPF in the next couple of days when I have some extra time. I dont like the code on my dash now, wish there was a way to get rid of the code. I hope i dont have any issues with the DPF. I did purchase the kit with the sims. i hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you deleted the EGR cooler and are using the Edge Juice w/Attitude to clear codes at startup, the EGR servo motor that is located on top of the EGR cooler needs to remain plugged in to the electrical connection and zip tied out of the way (such as on the firewall). The only way you can remove this motor completely and remain code free is to use a Smarty, XRT, or Black Maxx presently. The Edge Juice w/Attitude will clear the DPF codes (assuming you have sims installed) and the EGR codes from the actual EGR motor (located on top of the intake air horn on the driver's side of the motor) being unplugged but not the code that arises from the EGR servo motor (located on top of the EGR cooler) being unplugged. It will not affect operation to have the servo motor plugged in and zip tied out of the way, it will just allow you to drive without the CEL on your dash.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks Bronco that was it. I'm just geting one code now from an O2 sensor that i bent removing the exhaust. I will replace it this weekend. The O2 sensor doesnt seem to have any ill effect though. The truck really moves and my EGT's are in low 700's and Im getting over 20mpg. I think i want to get a better muffler to eliminate the drone at low speeds. Does anybody recommend anything.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I left the stocker on mine till I put stacks back on it and have hardly any in cab noise.

Have heard really good things about the Aero 4040 muffler.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I initially deleted my DPF/NOx/Cat, I ran a 4" system to the factory muffler and hated the sound. I then replaced the OEM muffler (which isn't really a muffler at all, it is essentially just a resonator) with an AeroTurbine 4040 and loved the sound. When I got a wild hair and decided to replace the entire exhaust with a 5" TBE, I replaced the generic muffler that came with the 5" system with an AeroTurbine 5050XL and still love the sound.

Couple of things to note if you plan on looking into the Aero mufflers. The 4040 is the non-resonated version so will not cut out as much of the drone as the resonated 4040XL. The 4040 non-resonated is 3" longer than the factory muffler so you will need to cut approximately 3" off your DPF delete pipe to make it fit in the factory muffler location. Mock it up beforehand to make sure, though. The 4040XL is 9" longer than the factory muffler and will need to have your delete pipe trimmed to fit Depending on where you welded your o2 sensor bungs, the rear one may need to be relocated forward.

I feel the need to note, however, that even the 4040XL will not cut out ALL the drone. Most of the drone is due to the cooler delete, as I ran my truck for 40k miles with just the EGR deleted and cooler in place. As soon as I deleted the cooler 6k miles ago, the in-cab noise increased considerably, even with my 5050XL muffler in place. One of the cool features about the Aero mufflers is they are designed for you to be able to put 2 of them in-line and it not disrupt gas flow. I've been thinking about adding another 5050XL in front of the one I already have.

Another thing to consider if you are unhappy with the in-cab noise is sound deadening material. Lining the doors and floorboards will make a HUGE difference in in-cab quietness. I'm still collecting pieces for my mobile audio build but, once i get everything together and installed, my truck will have RAAMmat BXT and Damplifier Pro lined throughout the entire truck with the exception of the headliner (where sound dampening doesn't make that much difference, not enough to justify the cost of added materials). Quality sound deadening material isn't cheap, but it makes an enormous difference.