3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

The Effects Good & Bad Of DPF Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Effects Good & Bad Of DPF Delete

hi everyone.

i owned 2 08's and both are now gone because
of issues that the dealer(and Dodge) could not address.
it was a truly miserable experience. when the trucks
ran they ran great but it had become such a random
event that it became nerve racking.

now with the redesign i am ready to purchase a new
Dodge again. gas would be a no brainer but it would
be great to have another Cummins....just one that runs!

so here are my questions....are most of the bugs worked
out so the trucks can be considered dependable in stock
form? and if i were to delete the dpf and other items what is
the downside? is the engine louder, dirtier,does it need to be
tinkered with constantly?

it would be great to enjoy the power of the Cummins but
without the headaches. having one of these engines under
the hood transforms the vehicle imo to something truly
special. so any input would be great. thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Dpf

I have a 07 with the XRT and turbo back strait pipe. It is a totally different truck now the throttle response is amazing and the power compaired to stock is a whole lot better ever if I run it on the stock setting. I used to get 13-14 MPG and now I get 19-20 with the XRT set on the 60hp setting. The down side is that if you need to take it in for warranty you have to put the stock exhaust back on and take the programmer off. But if the dealers really want to be Edit they can still look on the trucks ECM because form what I understand all the programmers for the 6.7 leave footprints. Every since I put the XRT and the strait pipe on I have not have to touch anything I just get in and drive.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 AM

I agree with the deletes. Since I did the deletes, I have had no problems. But if you are looking into buying a new truck, don't get one with a manufacturing date beyond 03/09. The Smarty and many others will not program the ECM.

The good effects - not having to go to the dealer for smog & ECM related problems, more power, and more fun.

The bad effects - a little louder if you do a turbo back exhaust. But no to much louder and still quieter than older diesel trucks.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 AM

smarty bully and edge and the rest of them are working on the newer trucks right now, ive got a 09 built 8/09 and it runs great around town maybe 13-15 highway 17-19mpg, i bought it in texas drove it to pa and got 18.3 coming back at 70, now it was babying the truck on the down hills but still good compared to what ive been reading here, also the idle time is what i see chewing my fuel milage up as soon as they have the aftermarket stuff out im deleting it all on mine, good luck
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM

I have an 07.5 that was reflashed at 25K miles. It now has 56K miles and hasn't had one problem since. Before the flash it was in twice and had a new turbo put on it. This truck is bone stock. I think they have fixed the problems with the flashes from what I've seen.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pa outlaw
smarty bully and edge and the rest of them are working on the newer trucks right now, ive got a 09 built 8/09 and it runs great around town maybe 13-15 highway 17-19mpg, i bought it in texas drove it to pa and got 18.3 coming back at 70, now it was babying the truck on the down hills but still good compared to what ive been reading here, also the idle time is what i see chewing my fuel milage up as soon as they have the aftermarket stuff out im deleting it all on mine, good luck
this is going to sound stupid but would you
mind telling me what the smarty bull and edge
do exactly?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MegaCabinPA
this is going to sound stupid but would you
mind telling me what the smarty bull and edge
do exactly?
All three have the ability to make changes to the ECM and advance timing and fueling requirements for more performance.

I use both the Edge Juice and Smarty. The Edge also has a display for up to four gauges. Also fun stuff like 1/4 mile and 0-60 testing timers.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM

For the most part they have worked out many of the DPF problems.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm curious to see how long it's going to take for them to figure out how to get these things working properly on the 09 and up trucks...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I must have been one of the lucky ones to not have had any issues related to the EGR and DPF systems. I did my deletes and didn't look back. Increased mileage and power are real nice additions to a real nice transmission. A clean DPF under the back deck is better than it hanging under the truck.

Chris
Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by safecracker909
I agree with the deletes. Since I did the deletes, I have had no problems. But if you are looking into buying a new truck, don't get one with a manufacturing date beyond 03/09. The Smarty and many others will not program the ECM.

The good effects - not having to go to the dealer for smog & ECM related problems, more power, and more fun.

The bad effects - a little louder if you do a turbo back exhaust. But no to much louder and still quieter than older diesel trucks.
Bully dog has "cracked" the code and will be releasing the tunes after the first of the year.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM

So if you do the DPF and EGR delets does the truck put any smoke out? Do you need to have a programer to turn off any cel's? What are the MPG gains if you do the delets?
Thanks. Ryan
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Smoke.. Depends on programmer. Smarty, not unless you go heavy into the torque settings at higher HP levels. Others have reports of fogging out interstates.
2. Programmer required for deletes. Yes and no. You can install simms into the exhaust to fool the engine for the DPF but still can cause codes. EGR will trip codes when its modified and can cause limp modes. Programmer makes that less painful. Smarty (I am a big fan) upload and forget about all that stuff.
3. MPG gains are varied from about 3 to 5 mpgus. I have seen some overall gains of about 3 myself with more city driving lately and on winter blends of diesel. I really hope to see the 5 others are seeing.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ratlratl i have to secound your post. i never been more pleased and happy with the way the smarty has treated me. thank you smarty.lol and i never want to see that dang dpf ever again. p.s mine is rottn away in the barn.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you find mine stuck up on the top shelf under/near other exhaust junk?

The Effects Good & Bad Of DPF Delete-img_0016.jpg

Quick Reply: The Effects Good & Bad Of DPF Delete