3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Best programmer for mileage & money???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best programmer for mileage & money???

I'm new to the 6.7L. Got mine back end of July 2009. I started traveling more for my job, so I really notice the fuel mileage more. I'm thinking of getting a programmer w/ delete pipe. Which is the best for fuel mileage for the amount of money it cost? I knew alot about the 5.9, but this 6.7 is a different deal. Any comments would be appreciated. I was wondering about the H&S vs. Smarty. And can u just get any brand delete pipe? Do you have to remove the egr and cooler, or can u just unplug? I would like to keep it as simple as possible for now, incase I have to put it back to stock for warranty work or recalls; and I can't afford much for now since I just changed jobs and I'm traveling more. Thanks in advance for any comments and help you can provide.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Any delete pipe will work.

Im not familiar with the H and S unit, but I have heard good things about them and know H&S has good products. I have there deletes on my truck actually (dpf and engine)

I have had great results with the Smarty. The Black Maxx would have to be one heck of a unit to make me give up my Smarty. MPG is great and the power is awesome.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM

I appreciate the reply. I have been trying to drive about 63mph in order to get around 17 mpg. Do you have any idea of what I can expect to get if I do get a programmer w/delete pipe?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Last interstate trip I did hand calculated was 19.6. Thats running 75 at about 1900 rpms.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM

That would be good. Would I have to take off the egr & cooler, or could I get the same results by leaving them on and just bypassing them?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM

You dont have to remove the egr and cooler, you can bypass them in place. I dont know about the mileage with that setup though, Ive got full deletes.

Although, I cant see it being all that much less of a difference.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Being new here and just doing the deletes, I have a question.... What is the Build Date of your Truck? Look in the Door Jamb it'll be on the Sticker. If it's prior to March 3rd you're in luck. I did the deletes and went from 16.8 to 22.8
Now this was just a short run (142 Miles) about 1/2 freeway 1/2 river road (windey) culminating with a 3,200 Ft climb and back. I topped off before I left and when I returned using 6.24 Gals. Truck was empty (no Load). I'm running a Smarty J67 ME, with a straight pipe and the EGR Delete per MADS Instructions.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Last interstate trip I did hand calculated was 19.6. Thats running 75 at about 1900 rpms.
you must be loving that gearing in the automatic
Old 03-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Yeah, its nice.

This is the first auto Ive owned. I like it, but still miss rowing em myself sometimes. When I do I drive my 90 around for a while till I get tired of it and then flip flop.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by RCOaks58
I'm new to the 6.7L. Got mine back end of July 2009. I started traveling more for my job, so I really notice the fuel mileage more. I'm thinking of getting a programmer w/ delete pipe. Which is the best for fuel mileage for the amount of money it cost? I knew alot about the 5.9, but this 6.7 is a different deal. Any comments would be appreciated. I was wondering about the H&S vs. Smarty. And can u just get any brand delete pipe? Do you have to remove the egr and cooler, or can u just unplug? I would like to keep it as simple as possible for now, incase I have to put it back to stock for warranty work or recalls; and I can't afford much for now since I just changed jobs and I'm traveling more. Thanks in advance for any comments and help you can provide.
The best option for the money would be a Smarty JR with ME software and a basic delete pipe. I would also do an EGR delete. That will net you the best gains in mileage for the $$$.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback. As soon as I save up, I'll have to get me one.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by CE Zero
Being new here and just doing the deletes, I have a question.... What is the Build Date of your Truck? Look in the Door Jamb it'll be on the Sticker. If it's prior to March 3rd you're in luck. I did the deletes and went from 16.8 to 22.8
Now this was just a short run (142 Miles) about 1/2 freeway 1/2 river road (windey) culminating with a 3,200 Ft climb and back. I topped off before I left and when I returned using 6.24 Gals. Truck was empty (no Load). I'm running a Smarty J67 ME, with a straight pipe and the EGR Delete per MADS Instructions.
I looked in the drivers side door jam but only saw the tire load recommendations. no date on the sticker. I have a feeling it is post March 3rd.

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
You dont have to remove the egr and cooler, you can bypass them in place. I dont know about the mileage with that setup though, Ive got full deletes.

Although, I cant see it being all that much less of a difference.
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
The best option for the money would be a Smarty JR with ME software and a basic delete pipe. I would also do an EGR delete. That will net you the best gains in mileage for the $$$.
I am wanting to go about this step by step. Up until now i have only unplugged the egr. I would like to get a programmer next but I dont know if i need to get the exhaust at the same time. It would be nice to think i could put it back together if need be for servicing.

-jake
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by eolinetrash
I looked in the drivers side door jam but only saw the tire load recommendations. no date on the sticker. I have a feeling it is post March 3rd.
No worries, MADS now supports ALL 2009 trucks.

I am wanting to go about this step by step. Up until now i have only unplugged the egr. I would like to get a programmer next but I dont know if i need to get the exhaust at the same time. It would be nice to think i could put it back together if need be for servicing.

-jake
If your gonna go with a programmer I would do the full deletes. Unless you cannot do it for governmental reasons where you live.

Take note if you modify the 6.7 in anyway you run a high risk of having dealer warranty issues, cause they dont have to look very hard to find that you messed with things.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM

I want deletes but im trying to weigh the options. will a programmer bypass the dpf/regen and egr etc? I am going to get the full meal deal but if i get the deletes and no programmer wont i get codes galore? what if i get a programmer first, later get deletes, then new exhaust? or just wait and get it all at once.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM

I want deletes but im trying to weigh the options. will a programmer bypass the dpf/regen and egr etc? I am going to get the full meal deal but if i get the deletes and no programmer wont i get codes galore? what if i get a programmer first, later get deletes, then new exhaust? or just wait and get it all at once.
I would not do the deletes with no programmer. Loads of issues and just asking for trouble (hint: severe derate and limp mode)

If you are on a budget Id go programmer, such as the Smarty non-ME, which can be run with dpf and egr in place.

If your gonna do it all sooner or later, just my opinion, but I would save and do it all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Best programmer for mileage & money???