3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Yet Another Remote Start/Alarm Question

Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Yet Another Remote Start/Alarm Question

Looking to purchase a remote start/alarm for my truck in the near future and just wondering if anyone runs the Viper package that has the turbo timer as well as 1 mile range and transmitter. Local stereo shop wants $600 installed for the alarm. I am not sure of the model but will be looking at it sometime this week. Please post up any positive or negative feedback on the Viper alarms.
Also, if I plug the truck in overnight and start it in the morning and let it run for about 5-8 minutes before I go out, will I hurt anything by leaving the truck plugged in while it is running? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 AM

No one.......
Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 AM

I ordered the Viper 5900 and got it online for $249 and the local Viper authorized retailer is installing it for $140. This has the alarm, remote start and turbo timer all that fun stuff. I had an older Viper alarm/remote start system in my last diesel, no turbo timer and it was a great product. I will never go with anything but Viper again after having an inferior product try to start my truck as I was driving down the freeway. The manufacturer claimed it was because I drove through an area where they were transmitting and the starter picked it up. I don't get my truck until this Friday and it gets installed on the 3rd. I just searched online and bought it from www.bargainsnest.com. No plug, just the closest to NY state for me.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM

anyone make a remote start for a manual tranny?? is it possible to make this happen??
Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM

In regards to your starting issue in the morning .. I never once plugged my 99 in and there were a few fridgid mornings where the truck tried to start and didn't on the first try but the Vipers have a built in safety feature to not start the truck for too long. It knows if the truck doesn't start and then stops, waits about 30 seconds and then trys again. It also has all the features for a diesel to wait for the glowplugs to be ready before starting and not all alarms have this feature.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ironside
anyone make a remote start for a manual tranny?? is it possible to make this happen??
Yes .. it requires a neutral safety switch which just verifies that the tranny is in neutral before allowing the remote starter to operate. A lot of shops won't install them though because of liability reasons. Some will if you sign a waiver though. I had a Viper remote start put in my 3000GT VR4 and it was a stick.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

I have the Python equivalent in my truck and couldn't be happier. You can't go wrong with any alarm/remote start system made by DEI.

As for the $140 install price, I have a feeling that will be about double by the time you walk out the door. These trucks require a ton of extra relays and resistors and many shops really don't want to deal with it. When you buy the alarm system online and bring it in, they usually "tax" you more than they would if you purchased it from them (understandable).
Old 01-22-2007, 03:56 PM

I like the DEI products. Good features and helps me sleep well at night with the security. The turbo timer and what not make the remote start sweet too.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:04 PM

They might not come with a warranty if you buy online and have a local shop install it but that's what I did and it saved me quite a bit of money. The range they claim on these things is exagerated a bit but it is still pretty good depending on where you are.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM

My alarm is awesome, i think it was $440 installed. I love it but i dont think they stand up to the one mile range.......
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhughe2
My alarm is awesome, i think it was $440 installed. I love it but i dont think they stand up to the one mile range.......
I don't think the 771XV has the 1 mile range. Pretty sure it's only a 1/4 mile on that one.

Even if it does have the 1 mile range, you can't expect to get the full 1 mile if there's any type of interference. From what I've seen the 1/4 and 1 mile ranges they claim are true if you're on flat ground with nothing between you and the vehicle. Antenna mounting position also has a lot to do with the effective range.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM

DEI is the best stuff out there. The 2-way systems seem to have shorter range than the standard systems but they are nice if you can't see/hear your truck start.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by ironside
Yes, there are a few companies that make them (2 that I know of). I suggest you get one made for a manual trans. I strongly suggest you do not just bypass the safety switch. Ultra Start is only manual trans starters I've used, no complaints so far other than a manual trans being a pain to install due to the extra wires.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM

where do you get the neutral safety switch .. i was wondering why the remote start would not start my manual truck and i figured it had to do something with the clutch.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 PM

where do you get the neutral safety switch .. i was wondering why the remote start would not start my manual truck and i figured it had to do something with the clutch.
You don't need a N safety switch for the remote start to start the truck, however it will start in any gear so if it's not in Neutral it's gone. I've watched people get hit, and cars drive off into the woods and things like that. Some vehicles have a N safety switch so you can add a starter safely, Subaru for example is really easy. I don't know the wire in the Ram but I'm sure someone here can find it. Other than that you do need to bypass the clutch switch, that is simple though usually just a wire, sometimes you need a relay depending on the switch type and the system your installing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet Another Remote Start/Alarm Question