3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

xzt VS mp-8

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xzt VS mp-8

For those of you that are still wondering which one to try, they are both good. I did some testing today as baselines for comparing my HOT Juice with SMARTY, but got some interesting results with the xzt and mp-8, so thought I'd share.

I ran the mp-8 at about 60% twice with the HOT Juice. Then I unhooked it and plugged in the xzt. When I first put the mp-8 on my truck it was on the dyno. It made 27 more hp than the xzt. After driving it with the mp-8, I wondered if that was just a higher peak only, because the truck didn't feel as strong on the bottom end. So today, when I plugged the xzt back in, I thought the same thing. It felt stronger on the bottom than the mp-8. So I set the Attitude to run the 1/4. I ran it twice, and it ran the exact same times as the mp-8. So my conclusion is that the xzt fuels harder down low than the mp-8 but then drops off sooner. If you're looking for seat of the pants feel, go with the xzt. If you're looking for dyno numbers only, go with the mp-8. If you're looking for e.t. numbers, I'd say it's a pretty fair fight.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 PM

now what kinda of hp numbers does the mp-8 and xzt say they add cause i'm wondering how they might stack up against the ez just to see how they really compair.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 PM

The xzt pressure only (which is what I have) Quad said was good for about 50hp. The standard program is suppose to be 65hp. The mp-8 is suppose to be 100hp, so in theory, when I had it on 60% it should be about 60hp. The mp-8 on 60% made 27 more peak hp, but like I said, the xzt has more on the bottom. I don't know much about the ez.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM

the ez is a pressure only box for our year trucks and claims 65 hp add so it would be about the same level as the xzt and the mp-8 on 60%. i know that the ez can not be turned off completely like the other boxes. i wonder how it would compair to the xzt box
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM

I don't believe you....

Which order did you have your stack at the MAP sensor?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

good info...good write up. it would be awesome if you had a rail gauge.....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I don't believe you....

Which order did you have your stack at the MAP sensor?
What don't you believe?

For these tests, I had the Juice in the MAP first. Prior to this when I was runnig these boxes before I had the Juice as the piggy back. The truck didn't feel or act any different either way.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

the pressure box should go in the MAP first.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM

what about tq #'s? I know Crazy Larry w/o xzt lost 50hp and 100tq! compared to with it. I was very impressed with that.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

for the record Omaharam, I do fully agree with you about seat of the pants feel. The Quad XZT is the strongest feeling pressure box i've tried. and you know where you got your MP8....and i currently own an EZ too.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
the pressure box should go in the MAP first.
The truck doesn't seem to care, and for right now I'm just donig a bunch of pluging and unplugging while I play. Next I need to try a different SMARTY program to see if I can gain anything. And after I am sure the SMARTY is maxxed out, I will be trying a TST with it. But honestly right now, I'm leaning back toward sticking with what I have and adding injectors - or sticking with what I have and doing wheels, steps, and line-x.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by omaharam
The truck doesn't seem to care, and for right now I'm just donig a bunch of pluging and unplugging while I play. Next I need to try a different SMARTY program to see if I can gain anything. And after I am sure the SMARTY is maxxed out, I will be trying a TST with it. But honestly right now, I'm leaning back toward sticking with what I have and adding injectors - or sticking with what I have and doing wheels, steps, and line-x.
stick with what you got and add injectors would be my vote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 AM

"50-60hp" of pressure is all the headroom most setups have before they get into max rail pressure issues. So I believe that the XZT and the MP-8 at 50%are equal. No way on the top end...I have tried both.

I wonder if you have one of the "limited" stack programs from TS? I have 3 MP-8's on my desk right now with three different programs. One...the "stack" prgram that everyone used to call it...was 50 hp on it 100%setting. You need a rail gauge before you should make generic comments like you have.

TS quit making all of the other programs...cause it was pointless. The original program did and still does work for everyone...mild to wild (rail cap...LOL) depending on the **** position.

I like the XZT...it is a great box. Far better than the EZ for pressure. I just like having infinite control to dial in my max rail pressure....which changes everytime I change another box. The XZT will also not work with a modded pump. It would be too mcuh.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
"50-60hp" of pressure is all the headroom most setups have before they get into max rail pressure issues. So I believe that the XZT and the MP-8 at 50%are equal. No way on the top end...I have tried both.

I wonder if you have one of the "limited" stack programs from TS? I have 3 MP-8's on my desk right now with three different programs. One...the "stack" prgram that everyone used to call it...was 50 hp on it 100%setting. You need a rail gauge before you should make generic comments like you have.

TS quit making all of the other programs...cause it was pointless. The original program did and still does work for everyone...mild to wild (rail cap...LOL) depending on the **** position.

I like the XZT...it is a great box. Far better than the EZ for pressure. I just like having infinite control to dial in my max rail pressure....which changes everytime I change another box. The XZT will also not work with a modded pump. It would be too mcuh.

I'm running a modded pump! What is your basis for saying the xzt won't work?
When you say you have tried both are we talking at the track with numbers to look at? All I can tell you is that my truck runs the same time in the 1/4 with either box and the xzt feels stronger down low.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Please read all of my post. Twice.

I bet if you had a rail gauge...that you would not be happy with your max rail pressure with a modded single pump and a full "50 hp" of rail pressure increase. I bet you you have your rail pressure sensor pegged at 27.5 ksi. By saying it won't work...I am saying you need less than "50 hp" tune.

I also tried to explain one reason why the MP-8 may not feel as strong as the XZT...because it may have the "stack program" in it.

The Quad Regular is stronger than the XZT...and it is comparible to the regular MP-8.

I wish your prerssure relief valve and injector tips good luck.

Quick Reply: xzt VS mp-8