3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

xzt causing truck to die?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xzt causing truck to die?

Yesterday and today with the xzt hooked up and the hot juice on level 5, the truck has died while driving. I was just driving normal. Today it seemed like it was idling a little rough at a couple of lights, and then eventualy it died under about 10% throttle. I've been driving it with the juice on level 0 or 1 all week and have only had this happen with it on level 5. I can run the truck hard on level 5 and it seems fine. It's like it doesn't want to be drivin lightly with the juice cranked up. It never ever did this until the xzt install. I will call Quadzilla on Monday, but has anyone else had this happen?
Oh yeah, it's a pressure only version of the xzt for my stack.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:31 PM

Did it set a CEL? IF so did you retrieve the codes.

There have been several posts recently here and on the TDR about the Juice setting 2146 and 2149 and killing the trucks. I am not sure about the details though.

I cannot see how the XZT would affect it all? I mean worse case it could set codes but, I do not see how you can kill it unless it comes unplugged and even then it would probably just run rough.

Also just to clarify. Does the truck run fine with the Juice turned off? What about with the Juice on any level other than 5?

Quad
Old 10-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

Not sure about the juice but my zxt killed my truck twice. There was something wrong with the wiring harness when I sent it back in and I had a new one in a week!! The truck would just start to stumple putter and then die. Thankfully I wasn't in traffic just parking lots but still sucked!! I talked to Jeremy at Quad and had the problem resolved asap. Great Company. I would unplug one and run it and see if it happens and then plug in the other and that would give you a difinitive answer.

Quad:

what product do you make that would stack great with the BDDL??

Thanks Shane
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Not sure about the juice but my zxt killed my truck twice. There was something wrong with the wiring harness when I sent it back in and I had a new one in a week!! The truck would just start to stumple putter and then die. Thankfully I wasn't in traffic just parking lots but still sucked!! I talked to Jeremy at Quad and had the problem resolved asap. Great Company. I would unplug one and run it and see if it happens and then plug in the other and that would give you a difinitive answer.

Quad:

what product do you make that would stack great with the BDDL??

Thanks Shane
im not sure if its the perfect setup but I just stacked the xzt with the bddl and its a whole lot of difference in the bottom end and runs smoother. I also pulled 39 lbs of boost..i dont want any more than that though
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 AM

I guess if there was a short in the wiring harness the XZT could be the problem?

The reason I do not think it is the problem in this case is that it runs fine the rest of the time. It is just when he puts the Juice on L5. The rest of the time everything is ok???

The XZT will stack well with the BDDL. We also have some people running the standard and even the Race box with it.

Now we also have stacking programs for all 3 and people are using them as well. With a downloader you can get a way with a lot. I have figured out why and I have figured out why the timing and stuff is ok to double up on with downloaders but, it is going to be a long write up someday.

If you want to stack with another module you most likely need to get the stacking files.

Also something that we have not said yet is that we are most likley going to make a totally new part# for the stacking version of the XZT since we do so many of them now. When I get that part # done I will let people know.

Quad
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Did it set a CEL? IF so did you retrieve the codes.

There have been several posts recently here and on the TDR about the Juice setting 2146 and 2149 and killing the trucks. I am not sure about the details though.

I cannot see how the XZT would affect it all? I mean worse case it could set codes but, I do not see how you can kill it unless it comes unplugged and even then it would probably just run rough.

Also just to clarify. Does the truck run fine with the Juice turned off? What about with the Juice on any level other than 5?

Quad
Not sure what time I'll get to call tomorrow, so I'll go ahead and post and see if you respond before I get off work.
As far as CELs, when I first got the xzt it was the standard program and I tried stacking it with the juice. That set some codes which I have not gotten cleared yet. I don't believe that it has set any new codes.
Both times that it has died has been with the juice on level5 just driving nicely in traffic. It will start to run rough at stop lights for a few minutes before it dies. The first time it didn't just die all at once. I could feel it dying and I tried to feed it some fuel and the tach was trying to climb but then the truck eventually died. This did happen when I first hooked up the xzt before I got the stack program. Then I got the xzt back with the stack program and drove it hard on all levels and drove it around with juice on levels 0 and 1 in traffic for 4 days. Friday was the first time I was driving it normal on level 5 and that is when it died. I have had 35k trouble free miles with the juice and therefore believe it has something to do with the xzt. It won't restart by just turning the key from the on position. I have to turn the key to the off postition and then it will start. It also doesn't seem to be consistant in that I drove it around some more yesterday and today on level 5 and it ran fine. My fuel filter is due, but I would think that would only cause trouble under WOT and it runs fine if I'm hammerin' on it.
The harness idea is somewhat interesting. I know it has happened with other boxes, and from above, at least once with the xzt.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Chapter President

Don't know if this was mentioned yet but be sure to use die-electric(spelling) grease on all of the connections on the harness including a little on the module connection.

this helped me out with the same situation mentioned.

Jamie
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jmac
Don't know if this was mentioned yet but be sure to use die-electric(spelling) grease on all of the connections on the harness including a little on the module connection.

this helped me out with the same situation mentioned.

Jamie
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 PM

Ok
Now things are worse, and I'm 99.9% sure it ain't in the harness or a connection.
I'm driving in traffic today, and suddenly the rail pressure sound gets really loud and the truck starts to accelarate on its own. I had to ride the brake for two blocks before I had a spot to pull over. I shut the truck off. Then I tried to start it and it sounded really funny and would not start. I unplugged the xzt and plugged in the bypass loop. The truck immediately started and ran great. There is something wrong with my xzt, or it doesn't like my hot juice. Either way, I'm not too pleased at the moment. Guess I have to call Quadzilla again, but then wait for them to call me back after several hours.