3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Xmonitor or gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmonitor or gauges?

I'm having trouble being patient waiting for my new truck... so since I can't actually drive it and work on it now I'm reading about all the stuff I might do someday.

How do people feel about an XMonitor vs a 3 gauge pillar mount?
I was leaning towards the pillar mount until I realized I would need to rip out a grab handle and read some stuff from folks who felt the pillar mount on the new Dodges were a bit "in your face". That makes the size of an XMonitor an advantage I hadn't thought about.

I'll know better when I can actually sit in my truck... but for now, any opinions out there?

Any good online sources for the product? I didn't find it by googling on the first try.

oh yes... if I stick with gauges, anyone out there have a set that goes well with the 03/04Dodge white face dash? I was thinking about Autometer Ultralites.

btw - the new ride will be:
04 Dodge 2500/Quad Cab/SLT/SB/4X4/HO-CTD/48RE
Old 11-29-2003, 03:16 PM

Re:Xmonitor or gauges?

I don't like the X Monitor because I don't like digital gauges. That's just my preference. I like to be able to glance at a gauge and know where the needle should be vs. where it is. As far as mounts go, you have some options. I chose to mount mine in the cubby hole below the AC controls. They also make a single and dual gauge mount that goes on the steering column. It looks like it would block other gauges but it doesn't really. Di-Pricol makes white face gauges that are about as close as you will find to factory gauges. If you like Autometer then consider their Phantom Series. They are white face as opposed to the Ultra Lites which have a silver face.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:29 PM

I'm not a big fan of digital instrumentation either.
I hadn't thought about alternate mounting locations in the dash. I could also consider just getting Pyro and Tranny Temp. The truck is for towing and RV and I doubt I'll do any mods that would make boost anything besides interesting to watch.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the xmonitor is sweet looking and prefer digital readouts. It takes up less space too. I think some of the newer stuff coming out though will be even better - like maybe the edge attitude - which is like an xmonitor with controls for the edge comp etc right there also.. 8) ...whenever it comes out... :-
Old 11-29-2003, 07:45 PM

I'm with you Lightman! I don't want to loose my grab handle, and being I am getting the Laramie, I won't have the cubbie in the dash.

I think the X-Monitor is cool, and doesn't take up a lot of room, however I am going to wait to the dust settles on the fueling boxes. I know that Edge and TST will have gauges built into their products.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:42 PM

Dave, you may want to consider a boost guage. It is more of a diagnostic tool than a novelty. If you see a drop in boost pressure, you may have a problem that needs addressing like a leak in the system.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the X monitor as it was comparible in $$$ to three autometer gauges, any extras for hookup and pods. I purchased mine at Dave Diesel and have the trans temp, pyro, boost readouts. I like the small size of it, rarely have I ever had a problem reading it in the daylight. It has four dimming selections so it doesn't blind you at night. You really don't have to "watch the needle" as you can set the pyro "max" setting and when it acheives that it will flash **PYRO** on the display which definately catches your eye. Same can be done to boost and trans temp. The trans temp hookup was easy as the X uses the input wire from the trans temp sensor to the JTEC controller. You just have to tap into it. All the inputs come into one unit that installs under the dash so this leaves just a simple one wire connection to the display. One thing I don't like about it is that I've never been a fan of the trans temp input. I would much rather have a temp reading coming out of the trans before it reaches the cooler (hottest fluid).
Old 11-30-2003, 09:39 AM

I have yet to meet the person who doesnt like my xmoniter when they see it in action. This would include several who dont like digital.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:16 PM

crabman... that was the same logic that moved me from gas to diesel in the first place. For all the pros, cons, costs etc it finally dawned on me that I'd never run into a diesel owner who regretted the decision, so I coughed up the extra bucks and placed the order.

I'm waiting for the truck to arrive, but in the mean time I realized my Dakota has a grab handle on the A-pillar too. I never noticed it. I started to check how often I use it... pretty much every time I get out of the truck!

btw - I understand that you can the the Xmonitor with the connection to the Dodge electronics for trans temp, or for a few extra bucks install your own sensor where you like it.

I don't know where the Dodge sensor is or how far off it could be from max fluid temp? I really hate the idea of cutting a tranny line to install a sensor... it seems like plumbing to me and my plumbing always leaks a little. But, if the other sensor is not accurate I'd consider it. Anyone know or have an opinion?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:16 PM

You could get a MagTech Tranny pan. It has a boss to tap for your temp probe. That's what I intend to do, first I have to wait for the truck to get here. :'( Tracking say's it suppose to be in Spokane on the 12/12 and to the dealer by the 12/22. :
Old 12-22-2003, 02:45 PM

where is the PCM for the trans temp pickup located?? ..Byron
Old 12-22-2003, 04:25 PM

[quote author=by2005 link=board=49;threadid=23023;start=0#msg227821 date=1072125951]
where is the PCM for the trans temp pickup located?? ..Byron
[/quote]
On the firewall on the passenger side,
Old 12-22-2003, 04:45 PM

I guess I'm going to go with 3 2 1/16" Autometer gauges. I like the X-Monitor but I can't justify the money. Looks like these 3 gauges will run me a little more than 200 bucks. I also like the idea of putting the trans temp. sensor on the pan itself... (Then I can force myself to switch to Amsoil or whatever synthetic that is allowed by DC when I drain it!)

I wouldn't mind sticking these in the cubby hole... does someone make a face plate for these gauges to fit nicely in that hole?

AUTO METER Phantom 2 1/16inch Transmission Temperature 100 - 250°F
AUTO METER Phantom 2 1/16inch Mechanical Boost 0-30 PSI
AUTO METER Phantom 2 1/16inch Electrical Pyrometer Kit 0-1600 PSI

EDGE EZ IS ON THE WAY!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:51 PM

Just another gauge mounting option for you...

http://www.geocities.com/tobyw2000/Ramgauges.html

-Toby
Old 12-23-2003, 07:21 PM

I saw that alternate mount while googling for ideas on this.

I'm going to wait until I've got the truck to finally decide.
I've been leaning towards the x-monitor... we'll see.

The best I could find for those 3 gauges (and I think I priced Autometer on egauge.com) was about $305 all in (senders, shipping , pod, etc).

Quick Reply: Xmonitor or gauges?