3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who makes the better/best torque converters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes the better/best torque converters?

Besides ATS and BD, who makes some of the better converters? I think I've seen mention of someone named Gorend or something like that-not sure.

I'm in San Diego, and I don't know of any high performance Diesel shops around or tranny shops.

Are valve bodies and billet input shafts necessary for the 48re when planning for moderate power gains around 100hp or so? An Edge or Quad box more than likely, unless the upgraded turbo bug bites.....

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:37 AM

A conveter and valve body upgrade should be all thats needed.

http://www.dieseltrans.com

http://www.suncoastconverters.com
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 AM

Holy smokes, that was fast. Thanks for the links.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/torque_convertor.htm
http://www.dunriteconverters.com/index.html
http://gbtransmissions.com/
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/do..._products.html
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/...eConverter.asp

theses are the main names you will see. I would call all of them. you will get varying input. I liked talking with dave goerend and tony at dunrite the best. they broke it down very technically for me. I don't know if they have the best product but they gave me the best advice.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 AM

for how often this kind of question gets asked this thred should be stickied
Old 01-23-2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks hognutz, those are very helpful links. I'd forgotten about Dunrite.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 PM

I just spoke with Tony at Dunrite. Wow! What a wealth of information. He wanted to see the guys with CTD use their single disc which is fine all the way to 450 rwhp, and it's only $850. He said he uses the same TC in his CTD daily driver. Hmmm...just when I thought I was sold on everyone's $1300 triple disc's I learn something new.....Dunrite sells the triple's as well.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:28 PM

PTC done my triple disc for $900. I run thier stuff in my 1,500HP drag car. Have not compared their diesel converter to others but I like what I got so far. As far as the racing stuff I like thier stuff better.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Dirt, Replace the TC, VB and especially the FLEX PLATE. If the Flexplate goes .... and it will even stock if you tow hard or launch hard you will trash everything from the starter back to the driveshaft if you aren't lucky. Check posts on flex plates and you will see. Go billet or laminated. Make sure your TC, and Valve Body are designed for what you are going to do. ie tow heavy, light, never, race, commute. etc. If you commute every day a 3000rpm stall isn't much fun. ks
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtEater
I just spoke with Tony at Dunrite. Wow! What a wealth of information. He wanted to see the guys with CTD use their single disc which is fine all the way to 450 rwhp, and it's only $850. He said he uses the same TC in his CTD daily driver. Hmmm...just when I thought I was sold on everyone's $1300 triple disc's I learn something new.....Dunrite sells the triple's as well.
When you beef up one part of the tranny it stresses out another. DTT is used overwhelmingingly more by members of DTR and TDR and offer excellent customer service. Talk to Fred. I spoke to Tony also 5 years ago and he seems sincere but look at the DTT site and speak to Fred Swanson. My buddy's got an '05 also and can't wait to do his. Wise gearing for the 48re and 35"s is 4.10 which you have,good move. Dave Anderson P.S. you'll never need a triple disc.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Dirt, "You'll never need a triple disc" if you tow marshmallows. A single disc is rated should be rated at a hp and torque at a gross combined weight. If they don't mention the weight and you tow.....walk to the next guy who will. There is more to these trucks than hp. ks

Note the new ATS is rated at 100% coupling at 2000ftlb at 25,000 lb as far as I remember. I think it is a "five disc"
Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is technically more to it that all this. it is all about the combinations you run. as you upgrade one item you expose weakness in others.

you can just have a triple disc coverter everthing is great. companies like ats have great products but do you think a stock 48re is going to live at 2000lbs of torque. you would need lots of upgrades to have a tranny that would be cabably of handling that power level.

that is why I liked talking to tony and dave. they broke it all down in terms of what you need to do next. 2000lbs of torque is so far beyond the limites of other parts why do you need that? you are paying for margin you don't need. It is a good advertising point but there is math to what you need and if it is less that that why buy the ats.

abc4yew is right though if you tow heavy you need to comunicate that too them as he might recomend a bit differnet approach.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Chapter President

I love my Dunrite converter. Tony has the best warranty in the industry, with his single disc converter having a 5year warranty rated for 450 rwhp@20,000lb. gross. Nobody can touch it. Heck, if you really need it his tripple cluch comes with a lifetime 30,000# 450+hp rating. I just cant seem to have a short conversation with him whenever I call, he allways has so much information to give out.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Do yourself a favour and call Diesel Transmision Technologies, I have their trans in my truck and LOVE IT. And as abc4yew said, make sure the components match. If you plan on replacing the flexplate, make sure you tell the vendor of your T/C, the dimensions are different, ideally you should get both from the same company.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater

Take his so called knowledge with a grain of salt. i thought the same thing and he is local for me. well after spending 125.00 on a valve buddy kit that never shifted right my tranny was toast 3 days later. i spend many hours with him at his shop then I would go home and pull the valvebody and make changes. it never worked right. then come to find out he really hasnt been keeping up with the changes since the 47re. he had lied to me many times saying that i do not need to get a flexplate that is bull that people are saying they are breaking and he also steered me away form getting an input shaft and adding aditional clutches. I told him my target hp was 500 rwhp. he said with his triple disk and valvebuddy kit it would hold no problem. well i am fixing to remove the tranny again and do it right now. oh and he also had me change the front band lever from the 5.0 to a 3.8 and that was also a change in the wrong direction. I will say that I do like his triple disk converter. but im really unhappy with the trust i put in with him and come to find out its not true. oh and last but not least after we absolutly could not get his kit to work i ended up trying a suncoast valve body since mine was ruined and was barely drivable. when i called him and told himi was trying a suncoast he told me i just voided my warrenty on my 1400.00 triple disk and the he called me a quiter and hung up on me!!!!! that is the worst service i have ever recieved espacially after dumping over 1500.00 with him? I thought that was pretty unbelivable.....but believe it!!!
Jamie

Quick Reply: Who makes the better/best torque converters?