3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheels & Tires Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels & Tires Upgrade

ok i am looking into getting some new wheels and tires for my truck....i am looking at some 18" kmc black rockstar wheels and wrapping them with some 35's....i was looking at the pro-comp xtreme a/t's but keep hearing mixed reviews about them....i would like some feedback on 35's of all makes....my typical driving is country roads and highways and not too much offroading right now...also what backspacing and offset do i need to look at for wheels if i don't want them sticking out very far from the wells if any at all...

also i am putting on a kore leveling kit so that the 35's will fit w/o any rub...i have heard some things about mini-pacs and don't really know if i need them or not for my typical driving...so any information on that would be helpful as well
Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jperkinsttu
ok i am looking into getting some new wheels and tires for my truck....i am looking at some 18" kmc black rockstar wheels and wrapping them with some 35's....i was looking at the pro-comp xtreme a/t's but keep hearing mixed reviews about them....i would like some feedback on 35's of all makes....my typical driving is country roads and highways and not too much offroading right now...also what backspacing and offset do i need to look at for wheels if i don't want them sticking out very far from the wells if any at all...

also i am putting on a kore leveling kit so that the 35's will fit w/o any rub...i have heard some things about mini-pacs and don't really know if i need them or not for my typical driving...so any information on that would be helpful as well

I was also looking at some kmc "monster's" 18 " with 35" nitto mud grappler's, but was told i needed a lift kit cause the 35's wont fit cause the leveling kit brings back your front axle, which will rub on your fender..i also have a leveling kit on my truck..but you could fit a all terrain tire or 33's.. I hope this helps you and if im wrong anyone is welcome to set me straight...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM

You can fit 35's on 18's with a leveling kit no problem. Unfortunately the Rockstars will not get you the look you're after. They will stick out of the fenders a pretty good bit because they have a 5" backspacing. They will also rub with only a leveling kit. As for the mini-packs, they do help somewhat but for the money I don't really think they are worth it if you're looking for an improved ride. If you're looking for ride improvement the best thing you can do is get full replacement leaf packs, but they cost big $$$. A good backspacing is 5.5" or more on a 9" wide wheel at the max. Definately don't get suckered into getting a 10" wheel or one with 4.5" backspacing. It'll cause all sorts of problems. Don't ask me how I know......

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
I was also looking at some kmc "monster's" 18 " with 35" nitto mud grappler's, but was told i needed a lift kit cause the 35's wont fit cause the leveling kit brings back your front axle, which will rub on your fender..i also have a leveling kit on my truck..but you could fit a all terrain tire or 33's.. I hope this helps you and if im wrong anyone is welcome to set me straight...
That's not entirely true. 35's will fit easily with the correct offset rims. Maybe some H2's or some like I described above. I think they are talking about really wide M/T tires like 35x13.50 Toyo's or possibly the Mud Grapplers. I heard they were a really wide 35 and the extra lug on the sidewall doesn't help either. It can be done though. Heck.... some guys fit 37's with only a leveling kit -- they do have to massage their body panels a bit though.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM

yup, he's right- it's all about the b/s, and a level kit won't make 35's fit, unless your wheels have at least 5.5" b/s. i think the kmc monsters would work with 35's and just a level kit.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 PM

i currently have bfg ats in a 35, im swapping them for a 35 procomp xat. i like the bfgs, but the spin too **** easy, and they break for crap in the rain. i also heard that in some cases they are responsible for death wobble. i wanted a diff tire and a couple buddies of mine have ran the procomps with no problems at all. so im going to give them a try. they look nice, and they have a 40k warranty. so why the heck not...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
yup, he's right- it's all about the b/s, and a level kit won't make 35's fit, unless your wheels have at least 5.5" b/s. i think the kmc monsters would work with 35's and just a level kit.
I have 35x12.50/17 XATs on mt 05. The wheels are 4.75" backspace and I have 2 1/2" coils in the front. I had to put Bushwaker pocket flares to cover the tires.

There is little rubbing, a tiny bit on the fender lower edge at full flex and full steering lock.

I would recommend a wheel with at least 5.5 bs.

As for the tires, I love the XAT tires. I have 30,000 miles and they have at least that much in them left. I do a lot of gravel and snow/ice, as well as highway.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
You can fit 35's on 18's with a leveling kit no problem. Unfortunately the Rockstars will not get you the look you're after. They will stick out of the fenders a pretty good bit because they have a 5" backspacing. They will also rub with only a leveling kit. As for the mini-packs, they do help somewhat but for the money I don't really think they are worth it if you're looking for an improved ride. If you're looking for ride improvement the best thing you can do is get full replacement leaf packs, but they cost big $$$. A good backspacing is 5.5" or more on a 9" wide wheel at the max. Definately don't get suckered into getting a 10" wheel or one with 4.5" backspacing. It'll cause all sorts of problems. Don't ask me how I know......

That's not entirely true. 35's will fit easily with the correct offset rims. Maybe some H2's or some like I described above. I think they are talking about really wide M/T tires like 35x13.50 Toyo's or possibly the Mud Grapplers. I heard they were a really wide 35 and the extra lug on the sidewall doesn't help either. It can be done though. Heck.... some guys fit 37's with only a leveling kit -- they do have to massage their body panels a bit though.

ok well right now i have mickey thompson mt 35's on with stock rims, i have little to rub with them. Now the tire shop im dealing with really has no clue what they are talking about, ive put on the monster 18 with the 35" nitto mud grappler and they rubbed on my fender. can a guy get a 17" rim to eliminate the rub?? I guess ill have to find out the b/s on the rims i want "kmc xd diesel" if any one can help that would be appreciated. thx Chad..
Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 AM

looks like im going to go with with the rockstar 20x8.5 with 305/55R20 nitto's. the 20s have better b/s on them than the 18s do for some reason
Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM

looks like im going to go with with the rockstar 20x8.5 with 305/55R20 nitto's. the 20s have better b/s on them than the 18s do for some reason

Well then i might have to do the same ill be making some phone calls today
Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Banned

i want "kmc xd diesel" if any one can help that would be appreciated. thx Chad..
Hey Chad, I think if you're going 17" on the xd diesels that you'll have to do some grinding on the brake calipers to get them to clear. The xd hoss 17" will clear, but not the diesel.

--Eric
Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by enafzige
Hey Chad, I think if you're going 17" on the xd diesels that you'll have to do some grinding on the brake calipers to get them to clear. The xd hoss 17" will clear, but not the diesel.

--Eric
Man that really bums me out i really like those rims. I apreciate the help, i just talked to the tire shop and he's telling me they will fit and have a low b/s, but he also drives a car haha. Anyway ill keep on looking, does the hoss come with black bead lock??
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM

See 5.5 backspacing foo! Dont get suckerd and get 4.5's!!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
See 5.5 backspacing foo! Dont get suckerd and get 4.5's!!

Alright i found some kmc xd "spy with 5.5 b/s sould fit really nice