3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What converter lock up is everyone using, and what do you think of them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What converter lock up is everyone using, and what do you think of them?

Hi, I am going to put a lockup controller on my truck here after xmas. I am leaning towards the co-pilot. But is really expensive, so I am looking at all alternatives. I know about the manual switch that I could add, but I dont like that idea as I know that I will forget it on at the very worst moment.

Any ideas would be great

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 02:42 AM

I have to think that there is some of you out there running something?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 AM

i would look on the Suncoast Transmission website, they have a nice looking lockup controller and it is not as expensive as the ATS Co Pilot. i think it was $450.00
Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 AM

thanks, I forgot about them, I am going to check it out

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 08:36 AM

TS makes one as well

http://www.tsperformance.com/transmission.html
Old 12-24-2006, 09:46 AM

morkable..... I remember a thread on this a while back where we both posted. I was going to get a MSD rpm activated window switch and hook it up. I just have not got around to it yet, actually forgot about it for a while. But if you want I could go ahead and get a kit together, I would first put one on my truck and even try to take a video of it to show everyone how it works. I'll have to get some info on how to post a video and even take one for that matter as I don't have a digital camcorder. But maybe someone around me (northern Indiana) could help out with that. I think a complete kit would be about $250 bucks with complete wiring harness and a switch to use for stock or lock-up activation. It would be basically a kit like many users on here have but with a automatic on/off so you don't have to do it manually and/or forget to shut off when you stop.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 PM

That sounds cool,, let me know how it works

thanks Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 01:13 PM

i have just wired all mine up myself, cost me about 5 bucks, and just remembering to shut it off when u come to a stop. i know someone here has the directions on how to do it, its really easy, its like 2 wires and a switch and u pull a relay and put a jumper wire.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Yeah I have seen that one, but I want something automatic, cause I know myself and I will forget it sure as anything and it will be at the worst time.

I am kinda thinking that it looks like the suncoast and the ts performance ones are alot similar. Anyone running one of these?

Kevin
Old 12-26-2006, 12:28 AM

Bump for the holidays

Kevin
Old 12-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the co-pilot, i really like the way it locks up and all(theirs no way im going to watch the guages, watch the road, watch other drivers, and watch the trailer im towing and remember to flick a switch every time i stop!!). The only thing i dont like is at lower speeds when the tq converters not locked up and you let of the pedal all the way it locks and kind of jerks the truck a little.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 AM
chw

what is the big benefit from tc lockups ?? does it improve acceleration at any speed and does it actually make your truck "faster"? will i benefit from one on the strip along with daily driving??
Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 4doogie
i have just wired all mine up myself, cost me about 5 bucks, and just remembering to shut it off when u come to a stop. i know someone here has the directions on how to do it, its really easy, its like 2 wires and a switch and u pull a relay and put a jumper wire.
This could be interesting, why couldnt you add another brake lamp switch or tap into the cruise to shut it off when the brakes are applied. This way you only need to remember to turn it back on.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:14 AM

I have the ATS Co-Pilot, triple-lok converter, towing valve body and Pac-Brake. I am completely satisfied, everything about the ATS components work well especially when towing my 14K Montana 5th wheel. I like the feature of knowing when the converter is in lock up and being able to adjust lock up for different speed conditions.

I have had some problems with the original equipment throttle valve actuator, replaced it once.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 PM

thanks,, just for everyone to know, I just got an email back from suncoast and their unit will not work on a 48re, only the 47re. As I learn more I will let you all know

Kevin

Quick Reply: What converter lock up is everyone using, and what do you think of them?