3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------------------------------
#1 FAN:

Contrary to what some may say, IMHO, you do have to "tune" the water systems. By that, I mean finding the "optimum" jets for the nozzles so that when the water comes on you are cooling the engine, but not adding so much that you "quench" or "stall" the engine. From my experiences over the last five years or so, it can be a very fine line. I think my buddy Robert
(Rpainter) would tell you that too as he and I had alot of conversations when he was getting his system "dialed-in." Be glad you are not in my position. I
now have five (5) nozzles with my Scheid Water System and my water pump is MUCH bigger than my old Snow Water Pump, capable of pushing over 800 psi of water pressure if I need it to! Start out with the smaller jets and one
(1) nozzle and then work your way up from there. While doing that,... record your EGT's both before and after and listen real carefully to your engine to see and hear where it is performing the best. I can tell you, it is a "trial and error" thing. The major water injection companies like Snow, Cooling Mist, Devils Own etc. can get you in the "ballpark" to start out, but IMO, each truck still needs to be "tuned-in" as I said above. Once you get your system and get it installed send myself or Robert a P.M. and we will try to help you all we can #1 FAN!

---------
John_P
I also have to say that the hardest part of any water kit is the tuning. and start small and go up from there. I was running 4 BIG nozzles into the intake horn while sled pulling. If I remember correctly I had two 14 gph nozzles and two 11 gph nozzles. now I am running and couple of much small nozzles 5 gph in a different spot and get better results now then with the big nozzles. draw back is I can not run teh kit on the street due to I drive the truck with NO programming on it and if the water came on I instally get a bad mist due to too much water.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpainter
I also have to say that the hardest part of any water kit is the tuning. and start small and go up from there. I was running 4 BIG nozzles into the intake horn while sled pulling. If I remember correctly I had two 14 gph nozzles and two 11 gph nozzles. now I am running and couple of much small nozzles 5 gph in a different spot and get better results now then with the big nozzles. draw back is I can not run teh kit on the street due to I drive the truck with NO programming on it and if the water came on I instally get a bad mist due to too much water.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your input Robert!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok my next question for you guys is where to inject it. I have the cast s&b intake manifold it has 2 ports right down at the bottom by the grid heater and i think 3 in the middle. which woudld be the best to put the nozzel in. thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by clndesl
Ok my next question for you guys is where to inject it. I have the cast s&b intake manifold it has 2 ports right down at the bottom by the grid heater and i think 3 in the middle. which woudld be the best to put the nozzel in. thanks
If I could piggyback on this abit. I have the original CFM with no ports. Where would be the best/cheapest option for adding nozzles. I am sure there a couple people in my situation out there
Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM

^^bump^^bump
Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator

----------------------------------------
Also, DTR Member goose2w1:

Hey guys,.....sorry for the delay in answering your posts! I was out of town yesterday.

To start with, I would try putting your nozzles in the air horn. I think it gives the water a little better "atomization." When I had mine in that location, I took the air horn off, drilled and tapped the holes as per "Snow Performances"
instructions. I had two of them in the air horn, but spaced them out evenly.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 PM

John_P - Ive got a couple more ?s for you. Ok well ive got my coolmist varicool kit installed its a progressive sysem and i set it at 18 and 30 psi. I drilled and tapped my ww fluid for the resivoir. ok well what i am trying to figure out is how much water should i be using i made about 150 mile trip and i was messing with it and i just couldnt tell if it was working. it seemed like it was keeping it cooler but when i got home i checked the resivoir and i swear it is at the same level. is there any way to make sure its coming on and working. Also it seems like my turbo wont go over 30-35psi and before it was more like 40+. what do you think.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 PM

John.p - Ive got a couple more ?s for you. Ok well ive got my coolmist varicool kit installed its a progressive sysem and i set it at 18 and 30 psi. I drilled and tapped my ww fluid for the resivoir. ok well what i am trying to figure out is how much water should i be using i made about 150 mile trip and i was messing with it and i just couldnt tell if it was working. it seemed like it was keeping it cooler but when i got home i checked the resivoir and i swear it is at the same level. is there any way to make sure its coming on and working. Also it seems like my turbo wont go over 30-35psi and before it was more like 40+. what do you think.
did you purge teh lines before you hooked everything up? pull the main line coming from the pump going to the t-fitting at the nozzles and run a hot wire to the pump. hold the pressure line in your hand and touch the wire to the battery to get the pump to run. pump out fluid until you feel the line it purged and then reconnect to the t-fitting and remove the hot wire. I use just over half a quart in 300 feet Rob
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

yea something isnt right. Ill try purging it. I mounted the pump upside down on the frame und the ww fluid tank. I called cooling mist and they said it should be fine since its under the tank and gravity feed.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 PM

you did check to make sure you had the lines hooked up correctly,right?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM

Rpainter your the man i unhooked the line and it was dry so i bypassed the power and ground and it was blowing air for awhile and finally a steady stream. took it for a spin and wow now i know its working.i turned everything on and up and took off on a straight that I peg my pyro gauge everytime its about 1/2 mile and i could only get it to 13-1400 wow what a difference. Ill have no problem at the track anymore i cant wait to add some meth.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator

clndesl:

It looks like Robert already hepled you out with your problem on the new water system! THANKS Robert!

Cln Desl,......between Robert and I we will get you fixed up Sir! Gosh knows he and I have seen alot of the same problems you guys will see.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 AM

thanks guys I got it all going great.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Clndesl

Did you noticed any knocking or rattle when it comes on? How big are your nozzles?

How do you like your BD. I have the PMT with the Crazy Larry on it in my closet and have not had it on the truck yet.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 PM

I havent noticed any knocking at all but i have only ran desteeled water but this weekend ill mix a batch of water/meth and let you know. I only have one nozzle. cooling mists new varicool kit is only for one nozzel it must flow alot because it sure emptys my resivoir. And the BD crazy larry i love it. It works great with my stage 3 dr. p. once you put it on you wont want to take it off for sure.

Quick Reply: Water injection