3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Volant CAI Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volant CAI Install

Got one of these units the other day and finally installed the thing on my 2006
Boy it barely fits,only held in with one bolt,the other hole doesnt quite line up,guess I could of just reamed it out a bit,but the question I have is with the filter installed ,the filter protrudes above the top of the case about 1/4"-3/8" ,so that when you put the lid on it has to bend over the filter and doesnt quite seal on the fender side of the lid,its like you need to rotate the filter but you cant because it has an oval mount or that the filter mount itself should have been slanted down toward the front of the unit.I will have to call the place I bought it from on Monday and ask them about it,but can anyone else with a Volant comment on this .Thx
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I will say ittook a good bit of a struggle to make it fit. I have no idea why they haven't changed the design, the box simply does not have to be that big and it is a pain to make it all fit. I have the Donaldson power core filter and it is round so I just rotated it down and the filter fits fine in the box. Sounds like they changed the filter a bit.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 PM

My filter is oval and as I said prtrudes above the top of the case. It is really noisey too,a high pitch whistle at midrange rpm...you need the radio on to drown it out with the windows closed,with the windows open the exhaust drowns it out.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM

I think I got the wrong kit ,the guy at Volant said if its hard to fit its the wrong one .Found out that my engine was an HO so that means a different part #,there was a change mid 2006 ,I guess for new year pollution requirements ,that means 2 different part#s for an 06 for this Volant kit.The turbo spool is something else with this kit,took a few days to get used to it.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 AM

Maybe I have been running the wrong one for a few years now . Let us know how the new one fits, mine was a bugger to get in there.

Last edited by RyeThomas; 08-21-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 AM

http://volant.com/diesel_intake.asp?makeType=dodge. Three different kits for an 06.Kit 16759 and kit 16559 I have seen and have the same box and hose pieces,just the mounting hardware is different,but kit 164596 has a better looking box[only saw it in the photo].Use the link above and click on the part # then install for a photo and instructions.
The down pipe to the turbo is sure close to the hot exhaust on mine,kind of doesnt make sense,suck in cold air and then run it through a hot pipe.
Volant didnt seem too helpfull when I called them.
Acording to my build sheet I have the HO engine,but the mounting hardware in that kit makes no sense to me,dont see how it would work in my truck.
Also the filters are not as shown and stick up above the top of the box so the lid kind of bends over the top of it in both the two kits I looked at.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Check out my thread from a couple years back. I had to use some spacers to make it fit correctly(had to space the box up). It has been problem free for me, the part number I installed was 164596.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...lant+powercore

I started out with one of the other kits after talking to them at SEMA. They sent it to me to try and install, it didn't fit, I took some measurements and gave them feedback, they sent me the replacement kit with the new part number.

The kit you got with the oiled oval filter is not the one I would choose. The oiled filters on these trucks are bad news (filter oil on the turbo), you want the Donaldson Powercore filter found in the kit I use. The turbo whistle is also much less with the powercore filter. 3.5 years in and I'm still on the original filter.

You don't want this:

You want this:
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Yep what ^^^^ he said, I bought the intake for the filter and nothing else. I just got a box with it. I run Donaldson filters everywhere I can.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Bronco,I have the same battery box mounting tabs as you,kit 16559 comes with those spacers to raise the box about 1",but it looked like the spacers and the washers would pass through the holes in the battery box tabs so I went with kit 16759 that uses the speed clip nuts that are shown in your photos,my box seemed a little low at first ,but after the pipe was installed it seemed ok and I left out the rubber grommets,also the top of the air box is already flush with the top of the fender,I am not sure about raising it up an inch,both air boxes are identical and can only accept an oval filter,which is always going to be above the top of the box,maybe I still have the wrong one too,*** why dont they look at what they are selling,seems like the wrong filter to me ,the other thing is the large plastic pipe is only 1/4" from the exhaust heat shield,the pipe needs a kick in it to increase the distance,plenty of room on the other side,no signs of too much heat though.