3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

van Aaken C 3.2 turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question van Aaken C 3.2 turbo problems

Guys I searched the archives and could not find anything bad about the van Aaken C 3.2 Are these trashing turbos like the tst does if I turn it to the highest level? I know this box uses duration like the TST and was just wondering if it had the same side effects.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 10:28 PM

They have the same side effects but the biggest problem with blowing turbos is to much boost. 34-35 MAX! there have been just as many huffed turbos with the TST than with the VA. Just take some time and set your wastgate up to achive the safe amount of boost and youll be fine.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:33 PM

Who has had turbo problems with a VA CP3.2? I don't remeber any...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:34 PM

I've been running mine since they first came out. Tons of WOT runs on it and just this weekend I swapped it out for a B1-04. As far as anyone in the shop could see, including myself, there was zero play and no harm done.

jm.02

Richard
Old 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM

Just because people dont post any doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. I have dealt with a bunch of big name performance shops (DD, Wildcat, piers) And they deal with the general public (not just people with accounts on diesel sites) And they all said that the VA broke just as many huffers as the TST. But also that was a while ago when people were overspeeding them. And we all know thats messin with barrowed time.

Rod at wildcat said that he got some drive pressure readings and they were scary with either box (or should I say at the HP levels they can make) with the little HY/9. A good external W/G would help any turbo live a nice healthy life (minus the heat).
Old 09-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Forgot to add that I never ran a boost elbow. Max boost with the stock elbow gave me 27lbs on level 2. Speaking of good wastegated turbos, I just posted comparison pics of the B1-04 replacing the HY-9 in my gallery.

-Richard
Old 09-28-2004, 10:57 PM

Gypsyman,

Where is that report on the B1-04? I am dying to hear...since you always beat me to the punch!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:00 PM

I'll start a new thread and tell you what I can for now. Working too many hours this week out of town for side by side tests with air boxes, ect.

Richard
Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
If you are talking to a performance dealer who tells you 'the box kills turbos', and it doesn't matter which box they're talking about, please turn around and walk away.

2 things kill turbos on the Common Rail trucks: heat and high drive pressures. The VA 3.2 and the TST box in the higher power levels can definitely cause some high heat, and also definitely cause high drive pressures. Even a little EZ can cause you trouble if you don't pay enough attention to your gauges.

So to keep your turbo living, keep your EGTs below 1500F, and if you want to run a higher powered box like the TST or VA3.2, waste out your turbo to relieve drive pressures.

Rod
Old 10-01-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Push Rod
If you are talking to a performance dealer who tells you 'the box kills turbos', and it doesn't matter which box they're talking about, please turn around and walk away.

2 things kill turbos on the Common Rail trucks: heat and high drive pressures. The VA 3.2 and the TST box in the higher power levels can definitely cause some high heat, and also definitely cause high drive pressures. Even a little EZ can cause you trouble if you don't pay enough attention to your gauges.

So to keep your turbo living, keep your EGTs below 1500F, and if you want to run a higher powered box like the TST or VA3.2, waste out your turbo to relieve drive pressures.

Rod
What is exceptable for drive pressures on any turbo? Arent the KSB1's running pretty DP's high as well? You are externally gating the turbos arent you? Rod I know you have to be testing the B1's can you share some info with us about what you have found? Since there are alot of us here running VA3.2 or the TST what have you found to be the best B1 out there to handle more of these boxes? Thanks Rod.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mattymac
...............what have you found to be the best B1 out there to handle more of these boxes?
This is a name you don't see thrown around on the forums, but Lenny at Dyno-Mite Diesel Performance in Washington State tests all of the B1 turbos for the folks that build them at TAD. As a matter of fact, if you were to call up TAD and start asking questions about drive pressures on their various B1 flavors, Ken will refer you to Lenny most of the time.

As far as the quick spool goes, Lenny will give you drive pressure numbers that will scare you. Since he warrantees the B1s that he sells, he will not sell a turbo with a quick spool housing on it.

Would be worth a phone call. They even got a toll free number.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by mattymac
1) What is exceptable for drive pressures on any turbo?

2) Arent the KSB1's running pretty DP's high as well? You are externally gating the turbos arent you? Rod I know you have to be testing the B1's can you share some info with us about what you have found?
1) Every turbo is a little different as to what it can handle for drive pressure. B1s are tough monsters, and we've run them at 100 PSI+ drive pressures for 8 months or more before they've let go due to high heat and high drive pressure. But that is NOT an acceptable drive pressure for making power.

2) During our testing, we haven't found a solitary turbo, whether it be a B1, KSB1, or HX40 that was under 100 PSI of drive pressure at 50 PSI boost (40 PSI with the HX40) with the TST box up to PL 8 and WOT. We've taken to recommending external wastes on every turbo that gets mounted to an 03 and up truck. Its the only way to get acceptable drivability while allowing you to run a single charger. The internal wastes get you a little more leg room, but they still aren't large enough to allow the boxes to be cranked up to full.

We honestly haven't done much testing with the VA3.2 so I won't comment on drive pressures with that box until we receive more data.

Rod
Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 PM

Rod, do all of these B1's use the same cartridge?
Old 10-01-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Gypsyman
Rod, do all of these B1's use the same cartridge?
Yep, same shaft sizes and bearings. Other than turbine side, about the only difference is the KSB1-2 uses a hair smaller compressor wheel (as does the TOW version of the other B1s).

Rod
Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 PM

So for comparison sake, what are we talking, about HX-40 size?

Quick Reply: van Aaken C 3.2 turbo problems