3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrade turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade turbo?

I have the stuff in my signature plus I am thinking of adding a flexplate, input shaft, valve body, and possibly F1 80HP injectors. The turbo I was thinking of is from HTT. I have been told that maybe the 62/65/14 or the 62/71/14 would be good choices. I tow sometimes but not a lot. Just a car hauler with my Jeep on it and my boat. This is a daily driver and I'm not looking to break any land speed records, so I'm thinking that the 62/65/14 will do just fine. What do you think? Also, is there any dependabilty issues with all of this aftermarket stuff? I don't go to the track or pull sleds, just play a little here and there.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM

62/65/13ss. The SS has much better wastegating. It is a very drivable turbo. Spool is great.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrleb1
62/65/13ss. The SS has much better wastegating. It is a very drivable turbo. Spool is great.
With a Juice that tends to run hot, I would suggest that he move up to the 64mm compressor wheel. The Juice and 80hp sticks will be too much for a 62. The 64/65/13ss spools like stock anyway.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Would Not The 80-Hp Stick Aid In Lighting The Power Band Up Faster So you Just have To Manage ,Your EGT's Closly , and maybe look at Water/ Meth Injection / Aftermarket Intercooler To help Aid in Heat Control-- Personally 40--50--HP Injectors would be Max size to go with Running a 62- 65-13ss Turbo and still maintain some EGT control.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
64/65-13ss will be fine for you. Look at Madhats video of the Edge, that was with a 64/71-16ss and stix and it still got hot. Granted you will be doing smaller stix than him and all, but you will find the 64 wheel is not that bad with a 65 behind it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 PM

what about a 62/71/13ss...not as hot as a 65 and spools fast but makes power like a 14
Old 11-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Turbo Debate

Yes- I hear some Say go with the 71" Wheel as it does help with cooling /EGT'S much better than the 65" Wheel.
How much higher RPM wise before the 71" Wheel really kicks in VS the 65-mm
I had a Silver-62-74-14 on an 05- using a Hot Juice Stacked with Edge-EZ
It was laggy on the Bottom End, And will perform best with moded fuel supply
aftermarket CP3-etc.
This Time Around with this 05- I want to make sure I do not get lured into the Big Is Always better thing with Turbochargers. How much Lower EGT's is the 71" Wheel Running VS the 65-mm ? And at what Speed are these High Temps noted with the 65- Wheel.

I have a Goerend Trans getting ready to install shortly and would like to be able to comfortably leave my Revo-Smarty on the #8 OR #9 Setting for my Daily Driving. Stock Fuel system other than a Raptor--150 Lift Pump System.
I Do not want to have to worry about Blasting everyone behind me with a Cumbulous Cloud Of Smoke , I realize easeing into the throttle is what one must do, Would Running a Moded CP3 Help CLear -up the Smoke Soon or would there be less of it . And If I did do a moded pump I would also go with some flux-1 injectors 40--TO 50-HP Just enough to give it a Bump , But still Maintain some Great MPG with Daily Driving. Has anyone drove in one of these Set-up's Htt-62--65--13ss Moded CP3 , Revo-Smarty Or With the 62--71"--13ss ( Wheel ) ?
Was wondering if a Moded CP3 Along with Revo-Smarty & 62-71-13ss If the addtion of the cp3 up-grade would make the Turbocharger 71" Wheel Light UP Earlier in the RPM Range?
Or is this really not the Case.
If your speaking of hiher Egt's in the likes of Quarter mile Times with the 65MM VS the 71-MM Well it makes since the 71-MM Would Run Cooler here.
But For No- Load Daily Driving Truck with Revo-Smarty And supporting Mods would Stop Light to Stop Light and Some open Roads areas would not the
65-MM Wheel be the better option , For Best Bottom End Pull To Mid.
And if One Intends to Drag Race fairly often the persue the 71" Wheel
Old 11-15-2008, 08:22 PM

I absolutely love my 64/65/13ss. Spools awesome and I can cool TNT/TST stack. I tow my 21ft bass boat on TNT level 3 and it doesn't get above 1300 deg. on a hard pull. Tac
Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Torque master
Yes- I hear some Say go with the 71" Wheel as it does help with cooling /EGT'S much better than the 65" Wheel.
How much higher RPM wise before the 71" Wheel really kicks in VS the 65-mm
I had a Silver-62-74-14 on an 05- using a Hot Juice Stacked with Edge-EZ
It was laggy on the Bottom End, And will perform best with moded fuel supply
aftermarket CP3-etc.
This Time Around with this 05- I want to make sure I do not get lured into the Big Is Always better thing with Turbochargers. How much Lower EGT's is the 71" Wheel Running VS the 65-mm ? And at what Speed are these High Temps noted with the 65- Wheel.

I have a Goerend Trans getting ready to install shortly and would like to be able to comfortably leave my Revo-Smarty on the #8 OR #9 Setting for my Daily Driving. Stock Fuel system other than a Raptor--150 Lift Pump System.
I Do not want to have to worry about Blasting everyone behind me with a Cumbulous Cloud Of Smoke , I realize easeing into the throttle is what one must do, Would Running a Moded CP3 Help CLear -up the Smoke Soon or would there be less of it . And If I did do a moded pump I would also go with some flux-1 injectors 40--TO 50-HP Just enough to give it a Bump , But still Maintain some Great MPG with Daily Driving. Has anyone drove in one of these Set-up's Htt-62--65--13ss Moded CP3 , Revo-Smarty Or With the 62--71"--13ss ( Wheel ) ?
Was wondering if a Moded CP3 Along with Revo-Smarty & 62-71-13ss If the addtion of the cp3 up-grade would make the Turbocharger 71" Wheel Light UP Earlier in the RPM Range?
Or is this really not the Case.
If your speaking of hiher Egt's in the likes of Quarter mile Times with the 65MM VS the 71-MM Well it makes since the 71-MM Would Run Cooler here.
But For No- Load Daily Driving Truck with Revo-Smarty And supporting Mods would Stop Light to Stop Light and Some open Roads areas would not the
65-MM Wheel be the better option , For Best Bottom End Pull To Mid.
And if One Intends to Drag Race fairly often the persue the 71" Wheel

Well I have substantial mods to make the 71 wheel more accomodating, just some extra pressure, quicker rampup thanks to a beta program, and plenty of fuel getting to the Cp3. But there is a BIG cumbulous cloud of smoke with it. Spool is just fine to me, but if you want less smoke along with it you need to stick with a lighter wheel like the 65. EGTs won't be terribly different, the 65 wil get a little hotter in the top end but it will spool quicker and in return will cause less smoke at takeoff. Also with an automatic spoolup times will be more crucial to the behavior of the truck, you would want the quickest spoolup you can get.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM

I Do Not Tow Anything- Or Pull _ Or Carry Anything
My concern with the 64" VS 62" is One must be willing to Sacrifice Some Bottom End , Deal With More Smoke And Slower Spool-up
VS The 62- ?

I Am Sure for Mid Range and Top End it's Going to Pull great and this is where it shines Most?

This is All Theoretically speaking Of Course , as I have never driven in a Truck with a 64--65--13ss

04- Ram-2500 I ran an HTB2 Turbo and a Bank Six Gun Tuner

05- Dodge Ram-2500 Silver--62--74--14 ran it with Hot Edge Juice with Attitude-Monitor
Stacked with Edge--EZ Walbro Lift pump system, Stock CP3, Full Billet Goerend Trans- Silverline 4" Exhaust-- AFE Stage-2 Air Intake

Current Truck: 05- Dodge Ram-2500 Turbo Stock" Revo-Smarty-- AFE Stage-2-- Silverline 4" Inch Exhaust-- Raptor--150- Lift Pump system--
Gauges -Pillar -2" Pyro & 60-LB- Boost Gauges
Goerend Full Billet Trans due here in One Week ( Yehah )
Hey Man I do Really like where you say your EGT to not get higher than 1300
I Would sacrifice, A little Bottom End Spool for A Couple hundred degrees
Any Comparison to How it would perform against the Silver--62--74--14 I Had.

I Just not not like Like , In fact I am enjoying the Stock Turbo currently Lights Rite up Fast with #8 Smarty Setting, Excited to Up-load the #9 Tune
On Top Of a Goerend Trans Getting All the power to the ground going to be an exciting day next week. What Is the Inducer Size on the 05- Stock Turbocharger Anybody out there know ? As Far as the Middle Number is concerned like a HTT 62--65--13ss , I was guessing around the
likes of a 57-MM for a Stock 05 Inducer roughly guessing.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 PM

My dad has an '06 with a tight Goerend TC and he runs the 64/65/13ss. He has a Hot Juice and he has a Smarty. It doesn't matter which he runs, the truck spools great. I have driven the truck and you can floor it from a stop and it spins the rears. I have had lag before I went to twins. My truck use to feel heavy off the line and then about 30-40ft out the turbo would light and THEN it would spin the rears. I'm telling you, the 64/65/13ss has amazing spool. I literally cannot tell a difference in spool from stock.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 AM

I Do Not Think to Two Programers Mix to well Edge Hot Juice And a Smarty Would or Could create a Doble Timimg issue not Good. I Could See Maybe Stacking the Edge--EZ For Pressure With The Smarty Perhaps?

Wes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM
tcr

With DDP 90s I'm right at home w/ the 62/65/14. Spool up is fast, and towing is very manageable. Now, with everything set on kill, it will get hot 1400+* or so. I'd like a little more air, but twins aren't in the budget right now and that's the route I want to go.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Torque master
I Do Not Think to Two Programers Mix to well Edge Hot Juice And a Smarty Would or Could create a Doble Timimg issue not Good. I Could See Maybe Stacking the Edge--EZ For Pressure With The Smarty Perhaps?

Wes
He didn't mean together bud, he meant his dad has both available to use and both of them spool good. If you aren't sure what you want, they can be sent off and rebuilt to bigger or smaller specs unless you get a 62-65. For what you want I'm reallly thinking the 64/65 will be the ticket for you, but if you don't like it you can have it built to a 64/71, 62/71, 62/65 for a small price.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Unless I'm missing something in your sig, all I see is the juice and 80 hp sticks.I don't see enough fueling do go with either a 71 or a 64, especially if you're going to tow.

Quick Reply: Upgrade turbo?