3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo question

i have a bd super b special which is a 64mm i installed it on my truck it was slow to spool up. if i put a smarty on the stuck will it help it spool up faster and tow better.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes of course, and you can keep your Quad by utilizing pressure only files and using it as a little extra power when cruising. Running that as a stack should really liven that Super B Special up!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtracer1880
i have a bd super b special which is a 64mm i installed it on my truck it was slow to spool up. if i put a smarty on the stuck will it help it spool up faster and tow better.

Adding a smarty would definitely help the spool up of this turbo. The more exhaust we can create, the faster the turbo will spool. This turbo will definitely have some lag to it as it really isn't designed for a towing application. If the torque converter you have in it has a lower stall than stock that can also make it have quite a bit more lag.

Try the Smarty that should help quite a bit for you. Any questions dont hesitate to drop me a pm.....
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 PM

what kind of egt's should i expect to see
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Smarty will sure help, set the tq management on 3(4 will be too smokey), it will start fueling earlier.

Your egt's are going to be hard to control if you are towing heavy, just kinda the nature of the beast/big single. While towing heavy, by the time the turbo catches up, the egt's are already soaring, and to keep a large single spooled, your doing 90 mph, or shifting down to keep your rpms up.

I had a Silver62, Smarty, EZ, bigger sticks, towing was miserable. I spent more time trying to find the correct tune, than I did enjoying my vacation. I am not saying you cannot tow with it, it just takes alot of attention.

Just running around, truck only, it was fantastic, but that kind of negates the whole idea of "truck".

Both the "purchaser" and the "seller" have a responsibility of making clear, the application of how these turbo's are going to be used. The purchaser cannot say "I hardly ever tow", and then be upset when it just doesn't perform while towing. And the seller, should not be passing these large singles off as "great all around turbos".

I wish you luck dirtracer1880, I have been down the road you are on. I almost replaced my Silver62 with a Super B Special, I do not know what that outcome would have gained me, but pretty certain it would have been more of the same.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtracer1880
what kind of egt's should i expect to see
That is a question that honestly is very hard to answer. Depending on how you drive it you might see anywhere from 500-1600deg. There is no way to accurately give a number other than the range I gave. Now that being said I can ballpark at highway speeds you should see around 8-900deg pre turbo with the special.