3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo Bark Explained From Afe

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Bark Explained From Afe

I recently installed a AFE Stage 2 kit with pro dry and I noticed a funny noise after installation. So after a few searches on this forum I came across the term "turbo bark" It kind of made me a little concerned as there are some people saying it can damage your turbo and others say don't worry about it and give er.
I decided to email AFE tech support and they were very kind to respond extremely fast with this....(the first quote is my question)

"thanks for the response but I went with the stage 2 system with pro dry. I seem to like it so far but now I am experiencing what others call turbo bark. Is this potentially a bad thing ? "

RESPONSE:

No it is a normal noise that the intake system makes. It is the sound of air exiting back out of the intake system. When you have your foot buried in the throttle, you have this huge amount of air rushing into the intake system. When you take your foot off of the throttle, no more air is needed. So the turbo slows and the blades act like a door, it will not allow any more air into the engine. You have some air still trying to rush into the turbo, but it can't so it basically bounces off of the turbine blades and exits out the same way it came in. Some people have said that their truck moos like a cow and then some have claimed that the truck barks like a dog as well. This also happens with the stock intake setup. You just don't hear it as much because the stock intake system is so restrictive doesn't have the air flow like our intake system. Nothing is physically happening to the vehicle, it just makes funny sounds now and then.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happens alot to the 6.0 PSD, i've had diesel techs' tell me it is perfectly normal. it's also called a turbo surge.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its hit and miss, turbo bark will happen with any intake even stock, it was explained ok but it can be damaging if done excessively and at hotter temps. You want to avoid turbo bark by gradually letting off the pedal instead of lifting completely out of it.