3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

tried staking banks with bully dog triple dog, results, and question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tried staking banks with bully dog triple dog, results, and question

Hey guys,
first box I put on my truck was a banks six gun that a buddy gave me. Then I bought a triple dog from another buddy and before I tried running just the triple dog I decided to see what would happen if I took used the add now end power option/no added power tune from the bdtd and kept my six gun on level 6. My impressions.... very touchy throttle but good power all the way through the gears. my question. how does the bdtd add that low end power? I keep reading about to much timing from inapropiate stacking and dont want to end up blowing something up!! In the end i'd rather just run one box hence my other post but you gurus out there have any input? thanks
josh
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 AM

EDIT: new I should have proof read that! what I did was add low end power and choose the no added power tune on the bdtd, then ran level 6 on the banks six gun. It ran great, but Im afriad its not safe
Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 AM

The biggest thing is to watch your gauges... " YOU HAVE GAUGES RIGHT? " I have stacked all kinds of stuff on my truck and have 160,000 miles on it, still going strong, (knock on wood)... You need to fill out your signature, so we'll have a better idea of what you've got, the year of your truck and other mods...
Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More than likely you are getting your main power from the bullydog with the Banks helping little if any at all. If you have the pda the gauges and features are kinda cool, but other than that you would be better picking just one, especially if you plan to run CL.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM

The six gun is an older version with the speedloader and dial switch. no pda, have the dynafact guages but didnt hook em up, just going off my isspro's. I would like to run just one, but so far the banks alone was way more impressive than the bully dog (backwards i thought) but it was, running the add low end power/no additional power on the bd, in conjunction with banks was pretty impressive, but none of the guages show timing advance which is what im most concerned about. thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Banks and BD get power in two different ways. Banks is mostly pressure with a tiny bit of timing, BD, depending on the specific tune, is mostly timing and duration. Some of the programs like pedifile larry add pressure too.

Banks adds more pressure incrementally as you dial up that switch. Notice it comes on rather suddenly, much like a two stroke motor hitting the powerband, right around 2k rpm? Banks adds little on the low end and is for the most part good around the 2000-2800rpm range. I don't care for pressure only, especially running it all the time for power, personally as it shortens injector life.

With BD, it depends mostly on duration. Duration fueling tables in the ecm (i am making this as simple an explanation as i can), are divided into two separate areas, low rpms and upper rpms. People with TST boxes will recognize this as the difference between "torque" (low rpm) and "power" (upper rpm) settings. So with what you have described, you chose the lower rpm setting on the BD and didn't touch the upper. So you got the power down low and when you hit the upper rpms, the ecm reverts back to the stock fueling tableand you are back to stock power ... make sense? This is why the Banks seems better to you. Trust me, this is not so!

Work with someone here familiar with the BD tuning to get you straightened out... you'll see the difference.

now on the timing with the stack, Banks adds only a little so it is not a big deal unless you are running a BD tne with max timing. The stack will work, but only to a limited degree. Even with the Banks on level 1, the safeties built into the Banks will cause it to defuel at conservative levels and you'll not see the full potential of the BD.

The advice here is to sell the Banks, get a copy of Scarry Larry or even Crazy Larry and then report back on the difference.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 PM

THANKS!! that makes alot of sence. In the end I really dont want to run both. and as you said get with someone who knows BD. Which I am hoping to find from my other post. really just need to get throttle response in the low end. Am I going about it the wrong way (meaning tuning and programming) or should I be looking more at hard parts (valve body, turbo?) One question leads to another! thanks
Josh
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Programming it right will get you better results, the CL for instance will really give you some power, but can be extreme at times. Transmission work always helps if you add power so always consider that aspect, with a turbo you will only go bigger, so spoolup time wont really get any faster than it is in most circumstances.

What you need to decide on is how much power in all you want to have, then decide what mods and supporting mods you will need to get there, then decide on what will be best to suit you and your uses for the truck. Can be mild or wild.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM

http://kmkdieselperformance.com/default.aspx

place to get CL, SL, etc