3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Torque converter and valve body

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter and valve body

Hey guys,
I would like to know how much power can I put to a 48re with a good tc and vb. My plan is to run my Smarty mp8 stack and my silver 62. I may through in my Flux 2s. Will the trans live with this setup?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM

i would do a input shaft too
Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add a DTT Shift Enahncer also.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks guys,
Now without starting a war, I know that some of the big guys in aftermarket transmissions is DTT, Suncoast and of course Georand. Is there a big difference between them? Meaning, can ya go wrong with any of them? I'm going to be towing with the truck some so does is one tc and vb better then another for that?
The way I see it I need to build the trans to be able to handle 550 -600hp easily. Is that about right?
Thanks guys,
Topper
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks guys,
Now without starting a war, I know that some of the big guys in aftermarket transmissions is DTT, Suncoast and of course Georand. Is there a big difference between them? Meaning, can ya go wrong with any of them? I'm going to be towing with the truck some so does is one tc and vb better then another for that?
The way I see it I need to build the trans to be able to handle 550 -600hp easily. Is that about right?
Thanks guys,
Topper
I am running a Goerend VB, Goerend Strap/Anchor Kit, Spec-Rite Converter, Suncoast Billet Input shaft, and Upgraded bands.

Mine can hold 575, all day long without missing a beat!!! It really depends on what condition your trans is in for starters. If you have lots-o-miles then a full rebuild is in order. When I did mine it was suggested that if I had more then 30K on the clock to rebuild, since I only had 5K then it was all good.

They suggested a rebuild if after 30K not due to clutch wear, but seal wear. I guess after a while the seals tend to get hard and worn out, and if you hit then with alot of line pressure they tend to leak and go out...

So I would say...if less then 30K do a VB/TC of your choice and be on your way. If more than 30K, rebuild with aftermarket kit of your choice, get VB/TC and go out and have fun....it will be a whole new ball game with a new VB/TC!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM

30k and a trans needs a rebuild if someone plans on a VB and TC?? Is that everyone elses thoughts because that sounds pretty low to need a rebuild.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:31 PM

This is a little off topic, but if you're refering to the Flux 2's from you '03 then I don't think they'll fit in your truck. Someone with more knowledge than I have will probably chime in, but I think they have a different spray pattern.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CTDjoey
30k and a trans needs a rebuild if someone plans on a VB and TC?? Is that everyone elses thoughts because that sounds pretty low to need a rebuild.
30K...not for clutch wear, but for seals hardening and blowing out with the increased line pressure of a new VB. Just good insurance!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2007 5.9
30K...not for clutch wear, but for seals hardening and blowing out with the increased line pressure of a new VB. Just good insurance!!!
So, do the rebuilders use different seals or will they start blowing out after another 30K miles?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM

While on the topic of VBs and TCs - and not to hijack the thread - but what are you normally looking at to have a shop do a tranny upgrade? A while back I was going to get the job done by the boys up in IA, but I've put more money into other things since then. The truck has about 19,500 on it right now and all I've got is a Juice w/ Attitude on it. I'd like to be a little more comfortable with the transmission before I start turning it up past 2. Do I need to go with a TC, VB, shaft, as well as bands? Just trying to figure out my budget dollars . . .

Thomas
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks guys,
I really appreciate all the good advice. What tc will I need single, double or triple? What does the DTT shift enhancer do? Why will I need one?
Topper
Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
So, do the rebuilders use different seals or will they start blowing out after another 30K miles?
I would not think so...I am just passing on info that my installer who has been in business for 20 years and my trans guy who has been in business for 15 years advised me to do when I went to upgrade my trans...I am not too sure of the logistics of it all just passing on info that was given to me!!!

I can only speculate on the reasons why they would say this...but their word was good enough for me.

Possibly Topper, you might want to contact a local reputable shop and ask them what they think...maybe even go as far as calling Dave Goerend himself or DTT and ask them what they think! They would probably be the best source for answers without giving a biased or fishing opinion...!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks I just did a search and there is alot of good info on the DTT shift enhancer. I will definitely have one on the new trans. What should I expect to pay for all the parts?
Topper
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM

dont forget about HTS. i really like dealing with them, they dont try to sell you anymore than you need. give dusty a call.

http://www.htstransmissions.com/Transmissions.html
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks I just did a search and there is alot of good info on the DTT shift enhancer. I will definitely have one on the new trans. What should I expect to pay for all the parts?
Topper
These were my prices...

Spec-Rite triple-disk with a steel stator=$1200
Suncoast Billet Input Shaft=$500
Goerend VB=$500
Goerend Strap/Anchor kit=$80
Upgraded Bands=$60
New Fluid= $100
Total for parts= $2440

Labor Costs= $1500

Total OTD= $3940

Quick Reply: Torque converter and valve body