3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Hard or soft tonneaus?
Hard
57.14%
Soft with velcro
25.71%
Soft with snaps
17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Tonneau covers- Hard or soft??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau covers- Hard or soft??

I've been looking at Tonneau covers for my truck & I've been leaning torwards the soft covers.
I've been looking at The Access cover line

security isn't a big deal since I rarely haul a lot back there unless I'm going to the dunes or race track, I just want to clean up the airflow to get a bit better milage especally when towing my enclosed trailer.
I also like the way they look.

The Fiberglass ones are tough & good looking but can be twice the price as soft covers.

I've seen ripped soft covers (replacement covers re $129) & I've seen cracked fiberglass covers.

any one have strong (or not so strong) opinions?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:59 PM

Up here in snow country, hard is the only way to go. The only hassle is when you need to carry an oversize load in the bed, you need two people to remove it.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:13 PM

If I was going to go the tonneau route, I'd go with the hard role up kind. I got a standard cap on it now and it's a pain to have to remove it to put the 5er hitch back in. With the hard role up kind, just role it up - drop in the hitch - hook up and away I go.

The role up would work real nice for oversized loads also.

Just my $.02 ($.005 after taxes)
Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 PM

I have the soft Mopar tonneau on mine and love it. I can have the supports out and the cover rolled up in only a couple minutes, and it only takes a couple minutes to put it back down. I'd buy it again without question.

John
Old 02-09-2004, 04:09 PM

I have an LT sport cover. Its hard ALUMINUM not fiberglass. Only weighs like 75 lbs and has a slam-latch lock system. Very happy with the quality and design. LT claims to be working on a Mopar production model right now. DC supposedly picked theirs out of many others on the market:

LT Sport Covers

Edited by Admin
Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by amartinson
Up here in snow country, hard is the only way to go. The only hassle is when you need to carry an oversize load in the bed, you need two people to remove it.
I respectfully disagree. I've had so much snow piled on a soft tonneau that it was level with the cab and was non the worse after the snow was removed. You get what you pay for in a soft cover. Buy a good one and it will last and look great for years. A hard cover changes the lines of the bed too much for my liking. Nothing better than the look of a low profile soft cover pulled taut with a pair of stretchers.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Commatoze
I respectfully disagree. I've had so much snow piled on a soft tonneau that it was level with the cab and was non the worse after the snow was removed. You get what you pay for in a soft cover. Buy a good one and it will last and look great for years. A hard cover changes the lines of the bed too much for my liking. Nothing better than the look of a low profile soft cover pulled taut with a pair of stretchers.
That's why I liked the LT, it's very low profile:

Old 02-10-2004, 02:12 AM

look up FOLD A COVER. They are a hard folding locking Tonneau cover. I just love it. I can still use my 5th wheel without taking it off, I just fold it up and lock it down, use the 5th wheel. That way I can still put stuff in the bed and travel. I got mine from DC but now the company can offer them to you directly. Yo may be able to see mine in my Members Pictures.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:21 AM

I have had both.

My '98 Ram SST came with a fiberglass tonneau. It was painted black with the silver stripes to match the rest of the truck but it was not worth the hassle. I could always find someone to help to take it off (They needed the truck to move something), but putting it back on would take an act of Congress. When I had my hard cover on it was I was driving a car with a really big lockable trunk. I really hated this cover.

On my '98 3500 I bought an extang brand soft cover. I love it. It has the alluminum rails that attached to the bed top rails with clamps that don't damage the paint on the truck. I can adjust the tightness of the cover by adjusting the bows and the snaps. That way it is not too tight in the winter and not too loose in the summer. I can roll it up or out by myself. It works great with my fifth wheel. Negatives? It looks stupid with my airflow fiver tailgate and you can't lock it up. Compared to the price of a hard cover, ( I paid about $175.00 for mine) I could buy enough of them to outlast the CTD engine.

Procrastinator
Old 02-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the MOPAR folding hard top and I really like it.
I can open the front quarter or fold up for larger cargo or a 5th wheel hook up and have the pieces neatly stacked behind the cab. It comes in black only but my truck is black.

In all honesty if I was going to do this all over again I would go back to a Pace Edwards or similar roll top. I also ordered my truck with the factory bedliner and I think I am going to take that out and do a spray in bedliner.

The folding top locks with the tailgate and locks up front too.

I still might switch back to a roll top and sell this folding top as I just like the roll top better. A personal preference I guess. Nothing wrong with the folding top either though.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 AM

I have the Lite-Rider soft tonneau which I got from Genos Garage. It costs a lot less that a hard cover and I just leave it rolled up most of the time. When I do need it, I just roll it out and it is held in place with velcro. I am very happy with it. It is not totally waterproof but does a very good job. It also mounts inside the bed rails so I can still have my tie downs in the stake pockets which I use quite often....

If I remember, I will attach a photo when I get home from work..
Old 02-10-2004, 07:27 AM

Peragon.
Love it. It is folding and aluminum. I can slide things underneath the support in the front, fold it up and pull the 5th wheel, my truck is a short bed. And once you get it on, it not difficult to take off and put back on.
It goes on with two bolts, no drilling either.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:58 AM

I have the hard "Fold a Cover". Really like it. Hides everything when closed. Fold it up when towing the 5er. You can see a picture of it in my member photos.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered the Fold-A-Cover, actually the competetors product by Advance Cover for my work. With the 1500lb Rolling Cargo Bed, this should be able to haul all my tools and still be able to use the truck for other things on the weekend.

My rig is in the shop for ArmourThane today..

J-eh
Old 02-10-2004, 12:00 PM

Wow... that LT alum cover does really look good!. How water tight is it?

Quick Reply: Tonneau covers- Hard or soft??