3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Hard or soft tonneaus?
Hard
57.14%
Soft with velcro
25.71%
Soft with snaps
17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Tonneau covers- Hard or soft??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using the Access Ltd Edition http://www.accesscover.com/products/limited.asp and really like it. When you roll it up the support bars all roll up with the cover, no need to store seperately or worry about losing. Check it out.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Nitro71455
Wow... that LT alum cover does really look good!. How water tight is it?
Thanks, I like the look, its pretty clean. The key is the weight. Its very light and easy to remove.

It has a soft rubber gasket (like a door seal) around the perimeter. I have never had water in the bed. We get snow also and never have had any leaks. The problem with any cover is dust sucks in past the sides of the tailgate when you drive on dusty dirt roads. You would have to put some home brew weather strip between the tail gate and bed sides to keep it out.

GT
Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 PM

Soft, because I have occasion to carry something tall. But I also like the looks of the hard tops, although I think they are ridiculously priced.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 AM

I have the Access cover and love it. I haul a 5er and it rolls up completely out of the way. When I get where I'm going I just roll it back out. Piece of cake. Its just very convienent for me. Only draw back is it leaks a little water in the front corners. Would I buy another one? ABSOLUTELY
Old 02-11-2004, 04:52 AM

Pics of Lite-Rider tonneau
Old 02-11-2004, 04:53 AM

Last one...

I've gotten nothing but compliments on this cover from truck enthusiasts. The main thing I like is No Snaps! Those things always tear when you stretch the cover out to snap it in place. I've driven through rainstorms with my luggage back there and nothing got wet at all but I have noticed a couple of times that if I didn't secure the velcro properly that I got a little water back there...
Old 02-11-2004, 06:16 AM

I agree with Scotty, don't rule out the mechanized roll top covers such as Pace Edwards and Roll-N-Lock (spelling?). These are worth consideration too. The problem with the hard, one piece covers is loading objects which are taller than the sides of the pickup box. For me, it would not be convenient to remove a one piece hard top every time I need to haul tall objects. That said, the look of the hard cover, such as the LT which Got Torque has (nice!) is tough to beat. I don't see many soft covers down here for some reason, kind of strange.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:31 AM

Nice looking trucks guys!!
The main problem with the hard roll up covers is the price!!
All I want is some protection for anything in my bed & better airflow over the bed for fuel milage (esp when towing my enclosed trailer)

The $400~$500 price range on the soft covers like the access cover is more like it, that leaves more $$$ left over to spend on go fast parts for my Raptor!!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Advance cover is a solid aluminum cover that is in panels that are light and easy to fold for tall objects, but still have the solid lid for protection.

Agreed the price is high for all these products but the Roll-n-lok, Fiberglass lid and the Advance cover were all within $200 of each other. I have not heard good stuff about the Pace Edwards so far as the dealer I went to preferred the Roll-n-lok due to the locking tailgate bar and heavier construction.

Soft covers are Ok if you are not concerned with security.

J-eh
Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned

I have the Pace Edwards roll top and I paid 600 bucks installed last Jan. 100% happy with it. I roll it up in a second to hook my trailer to my 5th wheel, close it over my tools at night in another second. It is secure ( well if anything is these days) and with a locking tailgate latch from Bully I have a super big trunk that is weather tight. Only maintenance is the drain holes in the canister get leaves in them and you gotta pick it out. I also believe it helps with fuel economy. Sits as low as the one pictured here, and outa the way when necessary to haul big stuff. The fiberglass covers and the like look good if you don't need cargo space.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:04 PM

I decided on the Acess cover!

Thanks for all the sugestions guys!!

I just ordered the http://www.accesscover.com/Products/Access.asp

I liked the way it looked, it seems tough enough for my use & the price wasn't too bad ($429 carry out).

Hopefully it'll pay for itself eventually in fuel savings.
I'll post pics here when I get it on!!

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM

I like security of hard, but also want to be able to fold out of way. I am looking at fold-a-cover, bakflip, Torza Hard Hat, etc. I am so confused!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had SnugLid Fiberglass tonneaus on a couple of trucks. They were really nice, but a PITA to remove if needed. I don't like the rollup/soft tonneaus because they just don't secure things as well from weather or thiefs.

I decided to try the Undercover Tonneau, a compromise in cost and looks. I am very happy with the Undercover. Looks much better than I thought it would and looks like new over a year later. It is very light and easy to remove and hang in the garage. It can take as much as any of the hard fiberglass tonneaus and maybe more. I think they only have short bed option for 3rd gen.

Info http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Pictures do not do it justice, but thats my picture taking expertise.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM

you should add "NONE " in the poll ... that would be my vote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:52 PM

Love my hard cover... Security for both the contents and the tail gate.. Itis a clamp in type and the top comes off by loosening 2 handles. the frame stays in. also has a nifty remote opening key fob (free with purchase of the cover)..

I have had soft ones on previous trucks.. wither had to put vlecro down or snaps.. they just tear, puddle with water, and just streach over time.

Quick Reply: Tonneau covers- Hard or soft??