3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Temporary Intercooler bypass???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Intercooler bypass???

Well I shredded my intercooler this weekend Ruptured the endcap on the hot side. Do you guys think it would cause any damage if I fab up a pipe to go where the intercooler goes until I can get a new one? I dont have to drive the truck but I prefer to. I was thinking if I made the pipe and used only water in my injection set-up I should be safe.

P.S. TNT is a nasty tune

I had the wastegate set to 45PSI and on a good pull it buried my boost gauge at 60PSI with the wastegate fully opened.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 AM
tcr

Holly crap! 60psi w/ a sps62, wow, that TNT is NASTY!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM

I have a couple stocker metal tanked ones down here, if you are interested!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by tcr
Holly crap! 60psi w/ a sps62, wow, that TNT is NASTY!
Yeah, it blew apart so hard it broke the A/C condenser too.

I showed that turbo Jetta who was boss though

Lloyd, PM sent.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lmills
I have a couple stocker metal tanked ones down here, if you are interested!
Lloyd what day u gonna dyno?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your not gonna hammer on it you can do it temporarily with no problems.

Tim
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

I wouldnt drive it. Thats me personally. no use in added wear if you have a backup vehicle.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM

Rig up a bypass...its ok...just watch EGT's...they are going to be hotter.

Heck...I had to finish a pass this weekend with a intercooler boot...MIA.

The "narurally asperated" version of the 5.9 cummins with flux's and twin pumps gets hot quick...lol.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It won't hurt a bit to run it with a bypass. Just watch the temps if you are asking for a lot of power.

Maybe you could partially cobble one together with parts from an '88 that never had a cooler. Or just throw on a long piece of strong hose that is clean inside.

No problem.

John
Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

I was thinking of taking some pipe and cutting it to make 2 90* elbows on either side and just putting it where the CAC resides now. I have this monstrosity of fiberglass and epoxy that holds so far until 10PSI but I have not taken it past that yet.

I hope I can figure out something before this weekend. There is a big local dyno event and I really wanted to see what the TNT made. I guess the smart thing would be to drive the car until I can get a CAC but I HATE driving cars. To quote the wife "You should have thought of that before you went around with your buddies racing everybody" and " dont even think you are taking money from the kitchen remodeling savings for your stupid truck..... I hate that **** thing"
Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by matego
To quote the wife "You should have thought of that before you went around with your buddies racing everybody" and " dont even think you are taking money from the kitchen remodeling savings for your stupid truck..... I hate that **** thing"
Glad to see that someone else is in the same boat as me!!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by matego
I was thinking of taking some pipe and cutting it to make 2 90* elbows on either side and just putting it where the CAC resides now. I have this monstrosity of fiberglass and epoxy that holds so far until 10PSI but I have not taken it past that yet.

I hope I can figure out something before this weekend. There is a big local dyno event and I really wanted to see what the TNT made. I guess the smart thing would be to drive the car until I can get a CAC but I HATE driving cars. To quote the wife "You should have thought of that before you went around with your buddies racing everybody" and " dont even think you are taking money from the kitchen remodeling savings for your stupid truck..... I hate that **** thing"

Was that a quote from your wife or mine? Reworked sbc dd is 750 plus 425 for removal and install( I'm at work) and 180 for shipping. "I hate that thing" is commonly heard around sewing circles when pertaining to high hp ctd's I'm affraid.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Tristan, Its not limited to CTD's. I had a ZX6RR with a TON of money wrapped into it with help from Ron Muzzy and a good local air brush artist. Every time I went out riding she would give me the same crap. On one especially froggy day she said "I hope you hit a deer and smash that **** thing" About 4 hrs later I plowed a deer in the state forest and ended that bike.

The bad part is she didnt even apologize for wishing harm upon my bike or me. She was glad I didnt get busted up too bad but was happy the bike was over.
Well guess whats in the works now that diesel is crazy expensive.... a ZX12R twice the bike
Old 05-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Id watch yer brake lines an tire preassures. you may get a little help finishing that one off too.

I was discussing a rear mounted twin turbo setup on the v6 stang to a buddy with a few spare turbos while he was dropping off a few parts for the 54 Dodge 2wheeler and a rear end for the 53 ****** 4x4 truck when she just happened to come walkin up. Wasnt pretty. That was right after she chewed out the guy takin my toasted clutch out at the shop for not helpin the situation while we were talkin about the sled pull in town comin up.

I may need to make a few deposits into her "emotional bank account" before I have to file for "emotional bankrupcy". Im glad I got married along time ago or id never find a woman to put up with my crap.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Horsepower adders.......

Cat delete pipe 10HP

Muffler delete pipe 5HP

Intercooler delete pipe 1,000HP (15HP from the Tornado I welded inside the pipe )

Temporary Intercooler bypass???-dscf1784.jpg
Temporary Intercooler bypass???-dscf1786.jpg

Quick Reply: Temporary Intercooler bypass???