3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock 48re tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stock 48re tranny questions

I need some opinions on what to do here: If this gets winded i apologize...
I have an 06 48re and i'm running 35s, exhaust, intake, and the Edge Juice. I consider myself very conservative in the way I drive with the mods I have. I dream daily of a fully built tranny and one day I WILL have one. Problem is there is no way in he!! that I can afford one right now. I currently have just over 46,000 miles on the truck and do regular service, however, one thing I have neglected is the tranny. It has never been serviced. (Guess i was hoping I would have it replaced by now...) I have never had an issue out of it other than the normal stock sloppiness. Just recently I seemed to notice it does not perform as well (or as bad rather) as it has previously. Hunting for gears, longer between shifts, higher RPMs before shifting, etc. Doesn't seem to be slipping excessively and overall still working OK. In fact I can only think of 2 times where I noticably but briefly slipped it and both times were my fault. I know I am way overdue for a fluid/filter change and band adjustment and plan on doing it very soon. I am a firm believer in "doing things right the first time" and "you get what you pay for." I don't want to throw money at a TC or VB or both without going all the way with flexplate, billet input, clutches, internals, deep pan, possibly shift controller, etc,etc,etc. So with all that being said, and since I will have the pan dropped for the service and adjustment, I thought about throwing in a Transgo shift kit to try to firm it up a bit and replacing the governor pressure solenoid to prevent the hunt issue that I only rarely seem to get. I would be afraid that the shift kit would amplify the hunt issue if it was there. I'm sure just the fluid/band adjustment would help alot but I would like a little more improvement.
I would be fine with an extra 100 bucks and several hours work if I could at least get marginal improvement and buy me a little time to get funds for a built tranny. And don't anyone say get a valvebody cause Im not wasting 400 bucks on one when I'm planning on doing the whole tranny. I need to atleast get through the winter with what i have but I would really like to maybe go another year. So whats the consensus? Try the band-aid and keep my fingers crossed or forget it and just do the service and keep my toes crossed too?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might want to take it in to the dealer and talk to them,they just overhauled mine for free at 72,000 km.I too will get a built one when I can afford it or most probably when it fails outside of warranty.They told me that it was on its second govenor pressure vale sol. and that the reason it failed was due to debris in it,which they have found in the past to be coming from the TC.At least if they fix you up it will keep you running till you're ready to beef it up.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm out of warranty on the tranny... Besides i doubt i would let the dealer touch it anyway. So far other than the lift kit and tires being installed by a local shop that I know very well, everything that has been done I did myself. It has never been back to the dealer and I intend to keep it that way if at all possible. If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself. I don't trust just anybody. Thanks for the info though. I don't think I'm in need of a full overhaul anyway. YET...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 210,000 thousand on mine. I just service it every 30,000 miles. No problems to date. I run Smarty on SW#5.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Impressive....
I've been reading about the Transgo kit all evening and there seems to be mixed results. The price is right but I'm beginning to think it is not worth my time. Looks like it could be a PITA. I'll probably just change the fluid and filter and adjust the bands. Whats everyone's thoughts on the solenoid and transducer? - found both for under 100 bucks. Cheap insurance? Seems alot of guys on here have problems with them. Seems that or band adjustment usually cures the gear hunt. Figure I'd do both and hopefully not have to worry about it?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

I did have to replace the Gov. pressure sensor come to think of it.........took 5 min.
I would leave the bands alone....just my .02 worth.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 PM

i had a deep ats pan and 5 star converter in mine it lasted 10k before it left me on the side of the road calling dusty from hts to save me
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

Annabelle has an 04, it will take a bit more due to the lack of electronics. Not the same as the 06 trans.

You WILL totast the TC clutch and the direct clutches with your setup. Only a matter of time and it will happen at an inopportune time.

Shift kit and check the bands if you don't want to tear into it too far. You probbaly should do a billet front servo cover and billet band strut with the extra pressure or you are asking for more problems.

The new Transgo kit seems to be a very good piece. Lots of us running it have heard very little negative info. The bets part is it works really good.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Good point.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 PM

If it was me I would drop the pan and put a drain in it or upgrade it, adjust the bands (it’s easy and I don’t know why anybody wouldn’t), new filter, new governor and transducer, flush the tranny (including TQ and cooler lines, about 18-20 qts.)
I would do the shift kit later if still needed just to reduce the variables.
Mine lasted 105k miles before going south due to abuse of WOT with ATS Co-pilot locking up in 2nd and 464 hp at the ground with 35s. I think the stock tranny can hold quite a bit of power if you don’t abuse it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

My B-I-L owns a tranny shop. Most the people who come in with burnt bands have adjusted them themselves. Even when they think they know what they are doing.(very common). Usually second gear is the worst. Just my .02. Forget the flush and just change fluid and filter.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Hey Annabelle, what causes burnt clutch packs?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 AM

IMO, you should drain your tranny and replace the filter and refill right away. If you want go ahead and replace your stock trans pan with a DD mag-hytec pan. You will want that later anyway and it will be one less thing to buy then. And start servicing the trans (drain, filter, refill) every 20k until you save the money to get the whole thing built like you want it.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am definately going to change the fluid soon and adjust the bands. I think I am a good enough backyard mechanic to do the bands. Seems very straightforward with some patience. I'm going to forget the shift kit for now - maybe altogether. I don't put many miles on the truck anymore (company vehicle) it's mostly a weekend warrior and use it occasionally when I need to tow something. Usually fairly short trips. So hopefully I can get through for awhile longer.

My only problem now is deciding on the governor pressure solenoid and transducer. I can order these the same place i was planning on ordering the filter. All 3 would just about 100 bucks. I figure it is worth it while the pan is off. Seems very simple to do. What's everyone's opinion? Is it a waste if I don't really have a huge issue with hunting or worth doing to prevent it?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Over tightening I believe.

Quick Reply: Stock 48re tranny questions