3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smoke switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke switch?

a guy on here has done this on a quadzilla so i know its possible....

is there anyway to trick my juice module into thinking that the manifold is a full boost press(when it is very low)and supplies full fuel?

thanks guys
Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 AM

There isn't a way to trick the Juice, but you can trick the truck. I'm assuming you want rolling black smoke? Level 5.5 will do that really well on my HOT Juice, until the clutch starts slipping

What you want is a boost fooler.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
a guy on here has done this on a quadzilla so i know its possible....

is there anyway to trick my juice module into thinking that the manifold is a full boost press(when it is very low)and supplies full fuel?

thanks guys
Are you asking the question like this: you want the truck to set at idle and roll smoke out - how do you do that? If that the question I want to know also! I saw a 03 or 04 setting at idle the other day and the black smoke would just billow out while he was setting there. There was no rev on his motor. I just laughed and gave him the thumbs up! Its killing me to know how he did it.

Of course I can make a smoke show by hitting my lockup switch at low RPM and then rolling into the throttle. But I gotta be moving - he was stationary
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM

I don't know why you'd want to do that with a Quad box.

Your injectors, relief valve and CP3 aren't going to like it. Quad's boxes are pressure boxes. You're going to peg the rail pressure just to see some smoke?

Get a TST and short the MAP circuit to show full boost. That way you're only stretching duration and not maxing your rail pressure. The TST will fuel fully right off idle.

Still don't know why you want this. No performance is gained. If anything, you're overfueling to the point that the truck will be a dog.

The easiest solution is to get a Smarty and run level 9. If you have any turbo other than stock it will make your truck smoke like a coal locomotive, at least until the turbo spools. Set your TST too high as well and you'll keep smoking due to the low rail pressure.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by JCLeary
I don't know why you'd want to do that with a Quad box.

Your injectors, relief valve and CP3 aren't going to like it. Quad's boxes are pressure boxes. You're going to peg the rail pressure just to see some smoke?

Get a TST and short the MAP circuit to show full boost. That way you're only stretching duration and not maxing your rail pressure. The TST will fuel fully right off idle.

Still don't know why you want this. No performance is gained. If anything, you're overfueling to the point that the truck will be a dog.

The easiest solution is to get a Smarty and run level 9. If you have any turbo other than stock it will make your truck smoke like a coal locomotive, at least until the turbo spools. Set your TST too high as well and you'll keep smoking due to the low rail pressure.
Who are you talking to? Me or Big Red BCS? Cause I dont think neither of us have a quad box. I got two quad cabs but no boxes.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 AM

I love to hear more about how to do it to a Quad box.
I like having no smoke, but sometimes I just want to dust a friend when they are standing next to me.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM

dodgezilla04 has this mod in his signature, i would like to know also
Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

I know you can put a switch on the CP3 to make it jump to full PSI from the CP3... but that is not a good idea

We used to do it to customers vehicals at the dealer,

Just get a Smarty and rebuild that 48re with REAL parts and you can smoke and move.

I gotta say I love the new sig!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Who are you talking to? Me or Big Red BCS? Cause I dont think neither of us have a quad box. I got two quad cabs but no boxes.
Sorry, misread the post.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd say your best option for putting this on a switch would be to tap into the wires coming off the MAP sensor in the Juice harness. If you use the switch to open up the circuit, the Juice will read a maximum value on boost. And it will clip the voltage so that the ECM only sees a normal value. If you try this without the Juice to do boost fooling, you'll set a code due to overboost.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

the trick does not jump the fuel pressure, what happens is you are fooling the module into thinking you are at full boost(map) pressure, and therefore gives full throttle. since you are actually at low boost, you will have excess fuel, which gives black smoke until the turbo really does provide the needed air to clean it up. with the black smoke comes slightly quicker spooling, i have noticed my turbo gets going sooner.

so, no worries about tricking fuel pressure, just boost pressure.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

at the quad module harness, find the dark blue wire and the red wire on the quad harness. t tap both and put a simple on/off toggle switch between the taps. gives you the ability to turn it on and off. the dark blue is the sensor output voltage(the signal to the ecm) and the red is the 5vdc supply to the sensors. idle is around .5vdc and full boost is 5vdc. all you are doing is going from .5vdc to 5vdc, which is what the sensor does when it sees full manifold press. i have had this on my truck for over a month, no cel, no problem, just the smoke when i want it. not as much smoke as my smarty, but much more than normal. the good side effect is, faster spool.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:01 PM

I tried this tonight with my Quad XZT harness and got nothing but a CEL.
I thought that they would be the same, but I guess not. unless I did something wrong. I tapped the blue wire and the red one and ran it to an on/off toggle and as soon as I fliped it I got the CEL an it threw p0192. any ideas?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
not as much smoke as my smarty, but much more than normal. the good side effect is, faster spool.
So you're bypassing the boost-fooling capability of the Quad Race (which I'd imagine is joined at the hip to the fuel map) by manually sending the max-boost signal to the Quad box so it fuels to the max?

How much faster does the turbo spool when the smoke switch is activated?
From idle in neutral, or from idle in gear?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

#1. insure you tapped the DARK blue wire, not the light blue, instant cel.

#2 dont know if the xzt is the same as the standard or race module. sorry, no idea

#3. spools slightly faster, no idea of seconds if that is what you are asking, i have a bigger turbo, so my spool may be different than someone elses.

#4. from idle or low throttle to full power, in gear. i dont see the reason of blasting it in neutral, so no idea for you if you are looking for neutral info.

i am now going to remove the smoke mod, since my smarty is in(thanks BOB and DTR store) and the smarty throws much more smoke and faster spool.

Quick Reply: smoke switch?