3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty Jr. owners - Please read

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it's true that many/most have this problem, it's probably the reason that when the Jr. first became available there were lots of people posting about slipping their trans/clutch while towing on #2.
adding an extra 100+ hp while towing heavy can definitely take it's toll on a stock clutch/trans.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM

I was one of the posts that had my auto slipping, so I know about that. Although not totally on track, how is it that those two trucks dynoed over 320 stock? Mine was only 270 at the wheels, so where is the extra 65hp? I also agree that there needs to be more units tested before condemming them all. I will say that since upgrading to the beta 4 version my tranny wont slip now, so maybee its not all of them. Time to get back on the rollers again I guess...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

those trucks were not auto's, less drivetrain loss with a 6-speed.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mstordahl
I was one of the posts that had my auto slipping, so I know about that. Although not totally on track, how is it that those two trucks dynoed over 320 stock? Mine was only 270 at the wheels, so where is the extra 65hp? I also agree that there needs to be more units tested before condemming them all. I will say that since upgrading to the beta 4 version my tranny wont slip now, so maybee its not all of them. Time to get back on the rollers again I guess...
You have two things very different than our trucks...Auto trans. and duals. 270hp is just about where I would expect you would be with your setup.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM

MY clutch slipped first time i stomped on it on #2...

I have left Mine on #1 ever since i swapped the Valair clutch in

I too am curious about the 320 horsepower stock numbers..

I have seen TONS of dyno numbers for stock trucks and they all seem to be in the 270-290 range with varying trannies and drivetrains
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 06MegaCTD
I doubt the dyno has anything to do with 2 programs making the same power, even on different versions such as the beta. If there was a problem with the dyno at all than sw#1 would be off also. I mean how do you know that all of them don't have the quirk, nobody with it would really know unless they dynoed every single one but for 2 of them being tested just happened to have the quirk is like winning the lottery. If those 2 have them than i am sure 90% of the rest have the same problem. It seems since i joined this site noone wants to believe that there can be any faults with the smarty and that the guys who made it could of no way made 2 programs to be the same. Like i said in other threads i am still getting my smarty jr next month so this is not a bashing by me but **** happens and people need to quit thinking that the guys make the smarty can do no wrong and are perfect.
If all of them had the quirk you wouldnt have guys saying they can feel a difference when they go to different levels. I agree there is something wrong but they need to try another smarty to even assume its all of them. they havent even purchased the lottery ticket until they try another smarty. If there is something wrong with the hardware itself you can load as many programs in it you want, but its still gonna be broke. If anyone knows that there are faults with the smarty and guys who make it its the 2nd gen guys, we have been promised updates for 3 years and are just now starting to get them.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM

well like i said, i am trying to purchase a brand new smarty jr. this month and will be going to a dyno right afterwards. I am still going to keep the jr until my tranny gets built and then get a senior but i still want to know if the 2 tunes are the same.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bjans
If all of them had the quirk you wouldnt have guys saying they can feel a difference when they go to different levels. I agree there is something wrong but they need to try another smarty to even assume its all of them. they havent even purchased the lottery ticket until they try another smarty. If there is something wrong with the hardware itself you can load as many programs in it you want, but its still gonna be broke. If anyone knows that there are faults with the smarty and guys who make it its the 2nd gen guys, we have been promised updates for 3 years and are just now starting to get them.
Just so you know. After running my box on his truck, John deleted my old (original) software and downloaded the new Beta version. As you know, it had the same results.

The box is nothing more than a plastic box housing a memory chip. It is what you download on it that is important and that is coming directly from the MADS website. For those who are still skeptical of the results and our findings...the best thing you can do is load your truck up on the nearest dyno and prove it to yourself. There has been much time and money spent to give you all this information. Everyone has to make their own decisions as to how they will use it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
tcr

robtackett, thanks for your efforts, you shed alot of light on a potential hazzard for some; you meant well and you were correct. I think some just try to read way too much crap into things and cause drama. Good job man!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by levigarrett76
MY clutch slipped first time i stomped on it on #2...

I have left Mine on #1 ever since i swapped the Valair clutch in

I too am curious about the 320 horsepower stock numbers..

I have seen TONS of dyno numbers for stock trucks and they all seem to be in the 270-290 range with varying trannies and drivetrains
Those are the corrected numbers. The Owner of MMS has done test with 5 different vehicles, ran a dyno in Portland (sea level) uncorrected, then corrected in Boise (3k feet), and the numbers were within 10hp, so he feels confident his corrected numbers are correct... The uncorrected numbers, at 3K feet on a 93* day were 290/510ish.. just going from memory.

We also did the pulls in 6th gear, which is more of a load on the motor and may produce better numbers than 5th.

Originally Posted by Bjans
I think you need to test another smarty junior before you say all of them have a quirk. It may be beneficial to try another dyno as well, the programer and the dyno have been kept the same through this problem, so try another dyno and see if you get the same results. If it is a problem with your jr or the dyno, changing the truck wont tell you much. Also i think its a must to try another jr to see if it is actually a problem with your jr or the dyno, or whatever
We had planned to test my Jr as well, but the memory chip failed that day... I am going to get a new chip from Bob this week, if he wants I will go redyno my truck with my Jr. It would be a very quick test, but I do not expect different results.

The dyno is rated for 1400 hp, thats not the limiting factor.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
D45

I noticed a very different increase in performance and power when changing from the #2 "70 HP" setting and going to the #3 "100 HP" setting.

It was night a day difference between #2 and #3......I love the #3 and doubt I would run anything else.

This is a great thread with great information!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by D45
I noticed a very different increase in performance and power when changing from the #2 "70 HP" setting and going to the #3 "100 HP" setting.

It was night a day difference between #2 and #3......I love the #3 and doubt I would run anything else.

This is a great thread with great information!
You have a 04, so maybe they are not affected like the 04.5+?

Also we did notice the smoke levels were different, despite identical power curves, maybe the tq management is different, thus why some people fell a difference.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Bob, has Marco said anything yet?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
Bob, has Marco said anything yet?
Bob said Marco is looking into in. (on another forum)

I thought I've seen other people post up their dyno #'s with the smarty jr and they were in line with what's advertised, but now I can't find them. Either way, I'm sure they'll get it figured out. They seem to stand behind their product.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by IAJTYWU
Bob said Marco is looking into in. (on another forum)

I thought I've seen other people post up their dyno #'s with the smarty jr and they were in line with what's advertised, but now I can't find them. Either way, I'm sure they'll get it figured out. They seem to stand behind their product.
Bob told me that on the phone too, just curious if he has learned anything. What forum?? Link??

This is the first thread I have seen with Jr Dyno's... but if there are more and you find them please post a link.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. owners - Please read