3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

slicks on rears or drag radials on all four??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM
chw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slicks on rears or drag radials on all four??

I was wondering what you guys thought would work better for a four wheel drive. Should I get drag radials for the fronts and rears or just get some slicks for the back?? this is only for the track though I plan to run these on my stock rims. I currently have 20s with grapplers that i daily drive with but I will swap out the rims and tires for the track.thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by chw
I was wondering what you guys thought would work better for a four wheel drive. Should I get drag radials for the fronts and rears or just get some slicks for the back?? this is only for the track though I plan to run these on my stock rims. I currently have 20s with grapplers that i daily drive with but I will swap out the rims and tires for the track.thanks
I have no experience of technical knowledge of these trucks as far as drivetrain but here is something to keep in mind. When you go to slicks (be it on 2 or 4 wheels) you are going to MASSIVELY increase your traction (probably by over 100%) and therefore put that much more stress on your drivetrain. With the Lambo, when I go to slicks, I put massive strain on my clutch which is why I am having a sintered one put it which will entail put the stress farther up the drivetrain etc etc etc.

I don't know how beefy these drivetrains are when modded (or unmodded). Right now, the tires are the weak points on our trucks which is why 4wd launches don't do much damage usually. The tires just break loose because most people are using an all terrain or even mud tire. To run slicks would drop more than 1 second off your 1/4 time and would make a huge difference, as long as your drivetrain could handle it.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D. Wiggs, have you ran your lambo on the 1/4?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by acook
D. Wiggs, have you ran your lambo on the 1/4?
Yes, but not on the slicks. I did not want to destroy my clutch. I ran an 11.2.

I should be able to drop alot of time now that I am doing more mods and once my clutch and slicks are on. The clutch is SOOOO weak from the factory (so that other driveline components don't fail. It's cheaper and esier to replace a burnt clutch.)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 PM
chw

u got a point wiggs but i aint worried about it that much. i know stuff will break if you build a truck to make 700+ hp slicks or no slicks. ohh and by the way your paint isnt totally stock you did slightly modify it with the 3m wrap or w/e that stuff was .
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by chw
u got a point wiggs but i aint worried about it that much. i know stuff will break if you build a truck to make 700+ hp slicks or no slicks. ohh and by the way your paint isnt totally stock you did slightly modify it with the 3m wrap or w/e that stuff was .
I thought about that, but when you think about it, the paint itself is stock, it just has something aftermarket applied over it. It did not change the paint; merely protects it!