3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Six-GunŽ Advanced Tuner and PowerPDA

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Six-GunŽ Advanced Tuner and PowerPDA

Does anyone have any info on this tuner??? And how does it compare to others?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 AM

Let Me refill my coffee
Dont want to miss this.....
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM

It is a nice tuner for a nice truck... There are higher power boxes, downloaders, etc. that offer more power for the $$$. Banks customer service has consistently been ranked 1 out of 10 whereas their sales and promotion dept. has constistently been 11 out of 10.
I've never heard of one failing but I have heard of quite a few people changing to more agressive tuners.

That said. I'd choose virtually anything over it. I'm a huge TST fan and I've had it from stock truck up to well over 700hp...and it performed flawlessly with the exception of one burned off pyro and one injector harness failure. I'm currently running just a Smarty downloader while my TST is on vacation to be upgraded.

Bully Dog, Quad, and Edge each have a "similar" unit that have a happy following.

Good luck, and if you decide to buy it you will be OK....but you may be shunned by the diesel GODS.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

Banks is overpriced and underpowered. Stay away from the TST until they get their '06.5+ problems worked out.

You really can't go wrong with a Smarty.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaRam
Let Me refill my coffee
Dont want to miss this.....
Hey no kidding!!!

Naw-- gotta give these poor folks a break... I fell for the same song and dance and didn't have a great site like this to help me out then.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
It is a nice tuner for a nice truck... There are higher power boxes, downloaders, etc. that offer more power for the $$$. Banks customer service has consistently been ranked 1 out of 10 whereas their sales and promotion dept. has constistently been 11 out of 10.
I've never heard of one failing but I have heard of quite a few people changing to more agressive tuners.

That said. I'd choose virtually anything over it. I'm a huge TST fan and I've had it from stock truck up to well over 700hp...and it performed flawlessly with the exception of one burned off pyro and one injector harness failure. I'm currently running just a Smarty downloader while my TST is on vacation to be upgraded.

Bully Dog, Quad, and Edge each have a "similar" unit that have a happy following.

Good luck, and if you decide to buy it you will be OK....but you may be shunned by the diesel GODS.
What he said x2...
If what you want is just a nice little tuner with some bling and don't mind the cost-- want good safety stuff built in-- are not going to do any more mods outside of maybe exhaust, intake and guages-- and you are ok with just "OK" power... then go ahead and get the banks.

If you want more power, run -- don't walk-- to another product of your choosing. Find out from this forum what others are using and choose. I like the smarty-- that is just me-- and wil get a TST to stack on it later.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its the first thing you ever bought, it would impress you...until you tried something like a smarty or bullydog or quad; then you would be disappointed. I enjoyed my six-gun when I had it with no problems, but now I have a better made Smarty that cost less and also gives me no problems. Its all preference, some people think that more money for a tuner is always better. Do what tickles you, because its your truck...LOL
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM

If I was starting all over again, I would probably go with a diablo sport and some guages,, for the price and the performance it gives it is very hard to beat

Kevin
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 PM

I had the banks and got rid of it. It was only able to incready my horsepower by 100 horsepower. They are over priced for what you get. Right now I am running a Bully dog power pup stacked with a TST.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
What he said x2...
If what you want is just a nice little tuner with some bling and don't mind the cost-- want good safety stuff built in-- are not going to do any more mods outside of maybe exhaust, intake and guages-- and you are ok with just "OK" power... then go ahead and get the banks.

If you want more power, run -- don't walk-- to another product of your choosing. Find out from this forum what others are using and choose. I like the smarty-- that is just me-- and wil get a TST to stack on it later.
I agree.. I have the tuner myself with the PDA and it is out of truck as we speak. I will be replacing it with a SMARTY and a TSP MP8.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 AM

stay away from Banks, like was stated above, bad customer service

there are better products out there, like a Smarty or TST, for cheaper
Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 PM

ITs one of the those things. IF I only I knew then what I know now.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 AM

My PDA is giving me trouble in less than a year old. At 250 -200 $ not cheap to replace. Poor power until 65-70 mph then comes on nice. Not alot of usable power. Safe, but underpowered for the money.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 PM

IMO it depends on what you are going to do with your truck. If you just want some safe power without trashing your stock tranny, it might be the way to go. You're not going to get near the power that you'd get from another product (for much cheaper) but it is safe.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mariner 250
My PDA is giving me trouble in less than a year old. At 250 -200 $ not cheap to replace. Poor power until 65-70 mph then comes on nice. Not alot of usable power. Safe, but underpowered for the money.
My PDA gave me trouble also. It would not stay linked to the Six Gun. Luckly I was still under the thirty days from where I bought it and returned it for my money refund. PDA is a slick design, but Banks needs to do more in the R&D area w/ the PDA.