3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Single vs Twins

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
O.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single vs Twins

Looking for the obvious, of why a fellow would go to twins from a single.

onetun
Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 PM

twins are quick spool and good to tow with, egts would be low and able to handle about any mods, but I think the kits are way to expensive so I wont buy them
Old 03-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two heads...or in this case turbos are better then one lol
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

Do a search on here. Lots of threads about it.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

depends on what the use of the truck is. if it's a dyno queen, a really large single is optimum because you dont care about lag time and there are large drive pressures associated with compounds. sled pulling, you can get away with a large single since you are trans braking until the launch boost is acheived. drag racing, twins are going to be the hot ticket. towing, twins hands down. all depends on the use, or so i have read.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Twins= ALOT MORE MONEY. With a single, all you have to do is pretty much replace it right where the existing turbo was and if you go the TWINS route then you need a crap load of helping mods and different piping....etc I think a bigger single IMO would be fine.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
depends on what the use of the truck is. if it's a dyno queen, a really large single is optimum because you dont care about lag time and there are large drive pressures associated with compounds. sled pulling, you can get away with a large single since you are trans braking until the launch boost is acheived. drag racing, twins are going to be the hot ticket. towing, twins hands down. all depends on the use, or so i have read.
Large drive pressures with twins? I thought the purpose of twins was to reduce drive pressure? Please elaborate.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

i'll let someone smarter than me continue with it. i would hate to steer someone the wrong direction.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM

Well I have a big single and am satisfied with it. Mine is not used for heavy towing. Daily driver and week end racer.

The II SPS66 was the less expensive option for me. I would have preferred a well matched set of twins setup for street/track. And someday I will hopefully get to go with that type of twins setup. But until the $$$s show up, the II SPS66 has performed well on the street/highway and at the track.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
O.T

Al right. Is there a rule of thumb that twins run _____% cooler than a single.
Like if towing with a single with a 10k load produces 1200f, what to expect from twins.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM

IMO twins are THE ONLY way to go. However!, I went from the stock to the twins on my first diesel. All I can say is lightning fast spool up and hang your hat over the pyro., dont even need it.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 PM

As soon as I get the cash together twins will be my choice! Just sucks that they cost 3 times what a single costs and all that for one additional turbo!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Ya but the bennefits far out weigh the price. I pulled Gvw plus trailer 22000 and it just pulls. Absolutely awesome!!! You have to remember that your paying for all the duct work as well as someone to spend hours figuring out how the 2 turbos overlap and work together. But, yes I do also agree there is a price to pay. Btw.... I can hit and maintain( not by any means suggested!) 65 to 70 lbs of boost still on the stock head gasket without studs. (Their in the master plan though)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Large drive pressures with twins? I thought the purpose of twins was to reduce drive pressure? Please elaborate.
Because once it is spooled up and the big turbo sucking 75PSI the small turbo starts to act as a restriction because the big turbo is doing more work. For example take a straw and start sucking, then put your finger partially over the end, your finger would be the small turbo.
If you have a sled pulling truck a single is fine, same with a dyno queen, even drag trucks do fine with them...but only if thats all you do with the truck. If you like sled pulling but its your daily driver and you cruise around town with it that single is going to suck. I dont know about you guys but i cant afford 2 different trucks so ill spend a little extra on the twins.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Well said acook. 10.4.

Quick Reply: Single vs Twins