3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scotty III w/ UNI leaking???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scotty III w/ UNI leaking???

I've had my Scotty III with the UNI filter installed for almost 3 months now. This morning, I noticed an oily stain on my driveway, under the passenger side front bumper area. Upon some investigation, it turns out the Scotty III inlet was soaked with an oily/dirty sludge, and there was a clear leakage path from there down over the lower radiator hose and onto the driveway. So, I pulled the Scotty housing off the fenderwell inlet, and found it all oily as well. I wiped it all up with a white paper towel, and found the residue to be a yellowish oil. I'm guessing it's oil from the UNI filter, but I have no idea why it has suddenly decided to just start weeping out?? Has anyone else noticed this with their setup? Maybe my UNI was just over-oiled from the factory?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen some that have way too much oil from the factory. The color is correct for the oil on the filter. I would suggest cleaning it and putting a light coating of oil on it. I had one in my shaker hood that did that too. Cleaned it the other day and reoiled it...probably with far less then what it came with.

I have seen this with afe and k&n too...sometimes the bag has oil in it and I know that Diesel Power Products posted on here awhile back that it might be best to wipe down the filter when you take it out of the bag before you use it. I know we have taken this up with UNI so the next batch should be better. Some oil does settle out but what you are experiencing sounds like the extreme...I would clean it.

Scotty
Old 05-14-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Scotty! I had intended to PM you about this but we lost our internet connection about 30 seconds after my post went through, and I was just able to get back on this morning... Anyhow, I'll get it cleaned and re-oiled this afternoon. Thanks again!!