3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Scheid cam $520, Helix $900. Scheid feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helix $900

What is the cheapest prices U R all finding on the Helix cams? I think I read that the Scheid is a regrind and the Helix 2 is a better quality. I saw the Helix going for $900 (ouch). The Scheid is unused, but it was installed & removed w/o being run. So it can't be returned.

Thanx.

Last edited by jmccart; 03-19-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: mentioning price
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM

I remember about a year back reading an article comparing the new cam to the regrind. Both were about $750, and both net virtually identicle results.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a Helix if it was me...I just dont have a good feeling about the regrinds IMHO.......seen a few post failures of regrinds and never heard of a Helix failure.
read the comp diesel thread and see what you think...it's a heated thread.
I think the helix is worth the extra coin.
JMO
Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I would get a Helix if it was me...I just dont have a good feeling about the regrinds IMHO.......seen a few post failures of regrinds and never heard of a Helix failure.

I will look for the competitiondiesel thread.
Thanx.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

I would do the H2 as well. I have redone a couple of motors do to regrinds. Also there is a guy on here that would give his schieds cam away since we went to the H2 cam.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I think the helix is worth the extra coin.
JMO

OK, I think I found that thread. It is like a million posts long, like you said, it goes off topic from what I read so far.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sloverado
I would do the H2 as well. I have redone a couple of motors do to regrinds. Also there is a guy on here that would give his schieds cam away since we went to the H2 cam.

Thanx Sloverado

The word "regrind" in cam world reminds me of the word "retread" in the tire world.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

About the same concept. Around my neck of the woods no one will run them after we had many ATV motors fail from them. There is alot more stress in one of these motors than them so I will not run them.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM

What is the skinny on this bolt on gear stuff?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM

I just looked again, the $900 is with a cam gear.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM

Great question im wondering the same my self. Is it common for the cams to turn in the cam gear? I was thinking of pinning or something simular rather than spending all that money the first season of racing. Any info on this cam gear issue would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the bolt on gear is to prevent the gear from walking off the cam (towards the front of the truck) due to the angle in which the gears are cut. It happens occasionally, mostly to guys running bigger p-pumps. It will cause the cam to push out the plug on the back of the block and/or the gear to rub on the timing case cover.

I seem to recall thinking the 3rd gens had straight cut gears though? If this is the case, I wouldn't think gear walking would even be a concern...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Get the Helix.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccart
What is the cheapest prices U R all finding on the Helix cams? I think I read that the Scheid is a regrind and the Helix 2 is a better quality. I saw the Helix going for $900 (ouch).

Thanx.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
jmcart:

I wanted to let you know that all of Scheid Diesel's Camshafts are NOT regrinds! Yes, they do sell "regrinds", but they can get you a custom-cut camshaft starting with a brand new cam if that is what you want. I know because that is what they did for me on the custom Scheid Camshaft in my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. I did not want a "regrind" either. They sell the regrinds to keep the cost down for the customer. I would recommend giving Brad Ingram a call @ Scheid Diesel (Effingham, Ill.) @ 1-800-669-1934 if you are still interested in their products. He built my engine, and does a majority of the engine building on alot of their sled pulling/drag racing customers. He is an excellent Technician and I know he can answer any of your questions.

FWIW, my Scheid Camshaft has been in my 96' for over 35,000 miles now and I have not had any problems at all with it!

---------
John_P
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------------------------------
jmcart:

I wanted to let you know that all of Scheid Diesel's Camshafts are NOT regrinds! Yes, they do sell "regrinds", but they can get you a custom-cut camshaft starting with a brand new cam if that is what you want. I know because that is what they did for me on the custom Scheid Camshaft in my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. I did not want a "regrind" either. They sell the regrinds to keep the cost down for the customer. I would recommend giving Brad Ingram a call @ Scheid Diesel (Effingham, Ill.) @ 1-800-669-1934 if you are still interested in their products. He built my engine, and does a majority of the engine building on alot of their sled pulling/drag racing customers. He is an excellent Technician and I know he can answer any of your questions.

FWIW, my Scheid Camshaft has been in my 96' for over 35,000 miles now and I have not had any problems at all with it!

---------
John_P
X2 with what John said above... and in the same catagory is the Maxspool cams as well. They will sell you a regrind if that is what you want or will grind a cam from a blank if that is what you want too... basically same service as described above with Schied...

The point to my post, and Johns, is that there are more options out there than one-- and F1 doesn't have the market cornered on billet cams... it pays to shop around and ask questions!

Quick Reply: Scheid cam $520, Helix $900. Scheid feedback?